About This Blog

The butterfly picture in the upper left corner is a symbol and reminder for me of the spiritual process. Sometimes I am the caterpillar - barely able to see far enough in front of me to put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes I find myself in that dark place of the soul, and I remind myself that it is simply my cocoon. While all may seem dark, and I may feel like everything is totally disintegrating around me (and in me!) a miracle is at work in my life and I will soon be able to fly! I love those days where I experience the butterfly in my life! The ability to fly above all the mundane earthy matters and remember the truth and experience God's power in tangible ways in my life are wonderful times indeed that occur more and more often as I continue this journey! Thank you, God!

If you are so inclined, I invite you to journey with me as we seek the promised land together. While I hope to share some "faithbooking" (scrapbook pages or artistic journaling about my faith journey), much of the time the journey may well be seen in words, rather than pictures. I invite you to create your own pictures. How do these things play out in your life? I'd love to hear from you about your own spiritual journey!

Friday, November 15, 2013

Wherever I Go

The verse that jumped out at me this morning was this one from Joshua:
"Haven't I commanded you? Strength! Courage! Don't be timid; don't get discouraged. God, your God, is with you every step you take." (Joshua 1:9 from THE MESSAGE: The Bible in Contemporary Language © 2002 by Eugene H. Peterson. All rights reserved.)
I've always thought the opposite of courage was fear, but this morning, that word "discouraged" jumped out at me. Surely that is another word that is the opposite of courage!  For some reason, I've not thought of being discouraged as having a lack of courage before, but this morning I find myself pondering that idea with interest. It has the feeling of an insight designed to free me from those bouts of discouragement that I experience from time to time!

When I am afraid, I've learned to look to God for courage, reminding myself that He is there with me every step of the way.  When I've been discouraged, however, I've just wanted to feel better.  I haven't always had a clearer goal than that.  All of a sudden as I read this verse, I realize that I can face discouragement the same way I've learned to face fear! I can look to God for courage, reminding myself that He is there with me every step of the way!

As I think about this more deeply, I realize that there is indeed often a relationship between discouragement and fear.  Much of the time when I am discouraged, there is really fear at the base of that discouragement - fear that I can't accomplish something I want or need to accomplish.  The courage needed at a time like this may not be the "flashy" sort of bravery that other situations call for, but it is courage just the same.  In fact sometimes, it takes more courage to face the day in and day out challenges, than something more overtly challenging.  I think of a quote I came across that I find myself thinking about from time to time.  It goes like this:
"Courage doesn't always roar.  Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.'" - Mary Anne Radmacher
Father, this morning I once again seek your courage and strength, to see me through this day.  I realize when I am discouraged, that lack of courage keeps me from experiencing the joy in you that is my strength (Nehemiah 8:10).  I forget to praise you, and start to worry instead.  Father this morning I want to praise you!  I am SO grateful for the opportunities you have placed before me - those open doors "that no one can shut" (Rev 3:8).  Forgive me for sometimes taking my eyes off of you and starting to sink in the overwhelming waves of preparation and duty.  I KNOW that your joy is indeed my strength and I look to you again this morning to fill my heart so full of the joy only you can give, that there is no room for fear or discouragement.  Father, I know that as I yoke with you, I indeed find that it is easy, and the burden is light (Matthew 11:30). And I thank you for that.  And Father, as this season of Thanksgiving draws near, I am so VERY grateful for the many gifts you give each day - and especially this morning for the gift of caring and supportive friends and family.  I love you, Father!

1 comment:

Esther said...

Thanks for sharing the insights God has given you regarding the relationship between courage and discouragement. I've never thought of that! It does shed light on HOW the joy of the Lord is my strength...

Post a Comment

This blog is simply a sharing of my "daily bread" - my daily walk with God. If something I've said has touched your heart, or sparked a new thought, I'd love to hear from you.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *