About This Blog

The butterfly picture in the upper left corner is a symbol and reminder for me of the spiritual process. Sometimes I am the caterpillar - barely able to see far enough in front of me to put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes I find myself in that dark place of the soul, and I remind myself that it is simply my cocoon. While all may seem dark, and I may feel like everything is totally disintegrating around me (and in me!) a miracle is at work in my life and I will soon be able to fly! I love those days where I experience the butterfly in my life! The ability to fly above all the mundane earthy matters and remember the truth and experience God's power in tangible ways in my life are wonderful times indeed that occur more and more often as I continue this journey! Thank you, God!

If you are so inclined, I invite you to journey with me as we seek the promised land together. While I hope to share some "faithbooking" (scrapbook pages or artistic journaling about my faith journey), much of the time the journey may well be seen in words, rather than pictures. I invite you to create your own pictures. How do these things play out in your life? I'd love to hear from you about your own spiritual journey!

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Eyes hath not seen

One of the things I've been pondering in recent weeks is the way Jesus taught us to pray.  This morning my thoughts go to the prayer He prayed in front of Lazarus' tomb.  "Father, I thank you for hearing me. I know that you always hear me, but I have said this for the sake of the crowd standing here, so that they may believe that you sent me.” (John 11:41-42 ISV) Jesus thanked God for hearing Him BEFORE He saw the answered prayer.  In this case it was a very serious issue - death! 

In my experience it's not always easy to thank God in the midst of what looks like death - whether we're talking physical death, death of a dream - or even just the postponing of a dream! In Philippians, Paul reminds us to "in every situation let your petitions be made known to God through prayers and requests, with thanksgiving."  (Philippians 4:6-7 ISV)   Can I truly make my petitions known to God with THANKSGIVING in all things?  Only with God as my strength and shield can that possibly happen!

The whole story of Lazarus is a thought provoking one.  Jesus had told the disciples that Lazarus' sickness would not end in death - and then he died!  What were the disciples to think?  Clearly they all believed the evidence of their eyes rather than the words that Jesus had spoken. And given what I see in the way I live my own life, I suspect I would have done the same.  And yet Jesus had spoken the TRUTH!  Lazarus was RAISED from the dead!  Am I willing to trust my Heavenly Father enough that I believe what He tells me rather than what I see with my own two eyes? 

There are lots of things to think about as I think about this story, but in particular this morning, it is a reminder to me that I am to make all of my petitions known to God with THANKSGIVING.  As the Thanksgiving holiday nears, it seems like an excellent time to focus on this.  I have always used this holiday as a reminder to be grateful, and in recent years to thank various people in my life for the blessing they are in my life.  This year I want to take it this step farther and remember even in my petitions to God to present them with thanksgiving.

Father, thank you for this reminder!  I've seen in my life the difference it makes when I choose gratitude no matter what has crossed my path.  It's so easy for me to forget that you are in control, but choosing gratitude requires me to remember that or I CAN'T make the gratitude choice!  So, this morning, Father I once again choose gratitude.  I ask your forgiveness for the "murmuring" I've done about the circumstances in which I find myself.  I KNOW you are in charge, so these circumstances are for my good and I thank you.  Thank you for the opportunities before me.  And thank you for the strength and wisdom I know you are giving me so that with You in me I can meet the challenges I face.  You are an amazing God, and I am grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is simply a sharing of my "daily bread" - my daily walk with God. If something I've said has touched your heart, or sparked a new thought, I'd love to hear from you.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *