About This Blog

The butterfly picture in the upper left corner is a symbol and reminder for me of the spiritual process. Sometimes I am the caterpillar - barely able to see far enough in front of me to put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes I find myself in that dark place of the soul, and I remind myself that it is simply my cocoon. While all may seem dark, and I may feel like everything is totally disintegrating around me (and in me!) a miracle is at work in my life and I will soon be able to fly! I love those days where I experience the butterfly in my life! The ability to fly above all the mundane earthy matters and remember the truth and experience God's power in tangible ways in my life are wonderful times indeed that occur more and more often as I continue this journey! Thank you, God!

If you are so inclined, I invite you to journey with me as we seek the promised land together. While I hope to share some "faithbooking" (scrapbook pages or artistic journaling about my faith journey), much of the time the journey may well be seen in words, rather than pictures. I invite you to create your own pictures. How do these things play out in your life? I'd love to hear from you about your own spiritual journey!

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Comfort & Truth

"And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you." John 14:16-17 KJV
This morning I was really struck by these words.  Our "Comforter" is the "Spirit of truth" which the world cannot receive because it doesn't see or know him, but he dwells in us.  Most of my life I've valued honesty and marveled at the way so many of those around me played fast and loose with the truth. In fact, in the world sometimes you're seen as naive and foolish if you DON'T do things like cheat on your taxes. Nevertheless, sometimes I've caught myself "stretching the truth" or being tempted to do so.  Never before have I been so struck with the value of honesty as when I read this verse.  The Spirit of Truth is to be my COMFORT!

Pilate's question to Jesus comes to mind (John 8:38):  "What is truth?"  And it strikes me that if I don't always find the truth comfortable and comforting, perhaps I've not seen the real truth.  I think back to yesterday's blog about Lazarus and Jesus' words that the end result was not death.  That was the REAL truth, though what APPEARED to be true was that Lazarus died!

Jesus words come back to me, "Let not your hearts be troubled, you believe in God, believe also in me."  How often do my troubles and challenges in life come because I let my heart be troubled instead of believing?  How often do I forget that God has promised "ALL things work together for good"?  When I see what appears to be death or illness in my life, whether literal or figurative, do I believe in that "death" or do I believe in the eternal life I've been promised? And if I'm having trouble believing in God's goodness in the midst of my current surroundings, what can I do about it?

It strikes me that the most important thing is faith.  Do I believe in the power of Jesus' prayers?  He said HE was going to pray that the Comforter be sent to me!  Surely HIS prayers have been answered!

Another verse comes to mind, "We know that we have passed from death to life, because we love our brothers. Anyone who does not love remains in death." 1 John 3:14 NIV  Do I love those around me?  Some of them are challenging to love!  Their behavior makes me uncomfortable.  Am I willing to remember the truth that they are God's children, and love them, no matter how they appear?  According to this verse, this is the training I need to ensure that I do not "remain in death" (focused on those things that appear negative in my life and believing them to be real).  Allowing God to fill me with His love allows me to begin to see as He sees and to accept the truth of eternal life in my own experience.

Father, once again I cry with that Father that came to Jesus, "Lord, I believe, help thou mine unbelief."  Thank you for the promise of the Spirit of truth in my life, and may I accept that spirit fully.  Thank you, Father, for your love and care!  Thank you for your many gifts! May your love so fill me that I see all of life through YOUR eyes.  Thank you, Father!  May Your will be done in my life this day.  Father, you know the challenges I face today.  Please give me the vision to see the TRUTH.  May the Spirit of Truth guide my thoughts and actions this day, I pray!  I look forward to seeing mighty miracles as you "raise the dead" in my life this day!  Thank you, my Father!

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is simply a sharing of my "daily bread" - my daily walk with God. If something I've said has touched your heart, or sparked a new thought, I'd love to hear from you.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *