About This Blog

The butterfly picture in the upper left corner is a symbol and reminder for me of the spiritual process. Sometimes I am the caterpillar - barely able to see far enough in front of me to put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes I find myself in that dark place of the soul, and I remind myself that it is simply my cocoon. While all may seem dark, and I may feel like everything is totally disintegrating around me (and in me!) a miracle is at work in my life and I will soon be able to fly! I love those days where I experience the butterfly in my life! The ability to fly above all the mundane earthy matters and remember the truth and experience God's power in tangible ways in my life are wonderful times indeed that occur more and more often as I continue this journey! Thank you, God!

If you are so inclined, I invite you to journey with me as we seek the promised land together. While I hope to share some "faithbooking" (scrapbook pages or artistic journaling about my faith journey), much of the time the journey may well be seen in words, rather than pictures. I invite you to create your own pictures. How do these things play out in your life? I'd love to hear from you about your own spiritual journey!

Sunday, November 10, 2013

Strength and Joy

I've been thinking about JOY much of this week.  What a difference it makes when we are full of joy!  Life just flows so much better, no matter what our tasks.  A verse that came to mind this morning is this one found in Nehemiah: "the joy of the Lord is your strength" (Nehemiah 8:10 KJV) 

I have certainly seen that to be true for me this week.  The moment I let go of the worry and asked God to fill my heart with joy instead, I felt an influx of energy!  Where I had been so discouraged I didn't know how I could keep putting myself out there, I now felt energized and ready to face the tasks of the day.  

The story surrounding the words in the text quoted above is an interesting one - and quite instructive.  If one is facing a daunting task, there is much to glean in this story about how to go about it.  The bottom line, however, is that we need to look to God for guidance and keep focused on our tasks, no matter who tries to distract us.  

As the story starts, at the beginning of this book, Nehemiah is the "cup bearer" for the king - the one responsible to test the king's food and wine and make sure it hasn't been poisoned.  He has recently received news about Jerusalem and how those who have returned to it from captivity are faring.  The news wasn't good.  The city was in ruins, and the people discouraged.  Nehemiah felt a real burden to do something about it, so prayed to God and prepared to talk to the king.  

An opportunity was presented pretty quickly, as the king noticed that Nehemiah was not his normal cheerful self and asked about it. When he heard the tale, the king asked Nehemiah what he wanted.  Nehemiah prayed for wisdom and then told the king he would like to be sent to rebuild the city.  As the king asked for more details about what would be needed.  Nehemiah told him how long he expected it to take, and when the king agreed to let him go, asked for letters of authorization for safe passage, and for access to the supplies needed to rebuild the city.   The king did more than that, sending some of his army to accompany Nehemiah.  

Nehemiah and the people working with him faced many challenges from outsiders as well as their own people, but they continued the work to rebuild the city.  All in all, Nehemiah was there working and overseeing things for 12 years, but the wall itself was completed in 52 days despite challenges and threats of all kinds.

Seven months later, the Israelites assembled near the site of the temple and Ezra began to read to them from the book of God's law.  There was a lot of weeping as the Israelites realized how far they had strayed.  That is when Nehemiah, Ezra, and all the priests, urged the people to put aside their weeping and embrace joy.  
"Because all the people were weeping as they listened to the words of the Law, Nehemiah the governor, Ezra the priest and scribe, and the descendants of Levi who taught the people told everyone, “This day is holy to the Lord your God. Do not mourn or weep.”  He also told them, “Go eat the best food, drink the best wine, and give something to those who have nothing, since this day is holy to our Lord. Don’t be sorrowful, because the joy of the Lord is your strength.” The descendants of Levi also calmed all the people by saying, “Be still, for the day is holy. Don’t be sorrowful!” So all the people went to eat, to drink, to send something to those who had nothing, and to celebrate with great joy, because they understood the words that were being declared to them."  (Neh 8:9-12 ISV)
Even when we realize we've made mistakes, we are to rejoice!  Recognizing our mistakes and moving forward is a cause for rejoicing, not weeping!  There are so many passages in the Bible that tell us to rejoice.  Here is another one:
"Let all those who take refuge in you rejoice!  Let them shout for joy forever, and may you protect them. Let those who love your name exult in you. Indeed, you will bless the righteous one, LORD, like a large shield, you will surround him with favor." (Psalms 5:11-12 ISV)
This morning, Father, I am so grateful for the joy you have put in my heart!  As I face the challenges that this day brings, may I face them with joy.  Father, please help me keep my mind fixed on you, remembering your power and strength and that your perfect love casts out fear. May I be so filled with your love and your joy that there is no room for anything else.  Thank you, Father, for the strength your joy gives me.  I love you, Father! Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is simply a sharing of my "daily bread" - my daily walk with God. If something I've said has touched your heart, or sparked a new thought, I'd love to hear from you.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *