About This Blog

The butterfly picture in the upper left corner is a symbol and reminder for me of the spiritual process. Sometimes I am the caterpillar - barely able to see far enough in front of me to put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes I find myself in that dark place of the soul, and I remind myself that it is simply my cocoon. While all may seem dark, and I may feel like everything is totally disintegrating around me (and in me!) a miracle is at work in my life and I will soon be able to fly! I love those days where I experience the butterfly in my life! The ability to fly above all the mundane earthy matters and remember the truth and experience God's power in tangible ways in my life are wonderful times indeed that occur more and more often as I continue this journey! Thank you, God!

If you are so inclined, I invite you to journey with me as we seek the promised land together. While I hope to share some "faithbooking" (scrapbook pages or artistic journaling about my faith journey), much of the time the journey may well be seen in words, rather than pictures. I invite you to create your own pictures. How do these things play out in your life? I'd love to hear from you about your own spiritual journey!

Monday, November 4, 2013

Weakness

This morning I woke up battling discouragement.  It is so easy to read and agree with God's advice to "rejoice in the Lord always" and to "in everything give thanks", but it is not always so easy to DO.  When I've prayed that God's will be done in a situation and then it feels like it didn't go well, it's easy to forget that God's eyes see more than human eyes do and that "all things work together for good".

I am still dealing with issues of perfectionism and the challenges of messing up in a public way.  And no, things did not go perfectly yesterday from a human perspective.  I believe my prayers were indeed heard and that all was indeed perfect no matter what it looks like to human eyes. Yet it is not easy to rejoice when I feel public humiliation!  My inclination is to bury my head in my pillow and never leave the house again!  Yet, this morning, once again, God spoke to me as I cried out to Him.  This morning He reminds me, "my strength is made perfect in weakness." (2 Corinthians 12:9)  If I want to have God's strength in my life, I have to be willing to exhibit weakness!  Wow, that's so hard for me.  Clearly pride has more of a hold on my life than I realized!  Looking at the context of this verse, I realize that Paul experienced similar struggles.  He says:
"Three different times I begged the Lord to take it away. Each time he said, "My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness." So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me. That's why I take pleasure in my weaknesses, and in the insults, hardships, persecutions, and troubles that I suffer for Christ. For when I am weak, then I am strong." - 2 Corinthians 12:8-10 (New Living Translation)
What a concept! When I am weak, then I am strong!  It's hard to wrap my head around that, but I know it is true.  I hear the ring of authenticity in Paul's words and realize that I am in training.  When I can truly take pleasure in ALL circumstances, I know I will be much closer to living the life God intends for me.  When I can truly give thanks and rejoice in EVERYTHING, I will be a living example of that mustard seed of faith having grown into a full tree.  

So, Father, I once again "stop and shout praises for the way you keep everything running right".  I am reminded to trust that "all things work together for good"and that You who have "begun a good work" in me will see it to completion" and that You do "all things well".  Thank you, Father, for this "open door" that you have set before me, and for the many promises you continue to shower on me as I "wrestle not against flesh & blood, but against principalities"!  These principles are not easy and too often I struggle to put them into practice.  Being thankful and joy-filled in ALL circumstances is such a "new song" for me to learn to sing! I am grateful for your "music lessons", Father!  The words of a song come to mind: 
"He keeps me singing a happy song
He keeps me singing it all day long.
Although the days may be drear, He always is near,
And that's why my heart is always filled with song;
I'm singing, singing, all day long."
Thank you, Father, for those words to carry with me as I move through my day.  Please guide my thoughts and actions that they may be in alignment with your will!  Thank you, Father!

1 comment:

Esther said...

This really struck a chord with me this morning. I can identify so well with your perfectionistic tendencies. You are obviously right that pride comes in there, but who wants to admit to that??? After all, that seems to be the worst of the seven deadliest sins. Wow! Thank you for expressing your struggles and thoughts on this subject. Learning God's "new song," of praise in ALL circumstances definitely takes practice. And I suspect we will never know for sure when we "get it right." We just have to keep trusting that it is ALWAYS right to God's ears when we continue to practice that song.

Post a Comment

This blog is simply a sharing of my "daily bread" - my daily walk with God. If something I've said has touched your heart, or sparked a new thought, I'd love to hear from you.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *