About This Blog

The butterfly picture in the upper left corner is a symbol and reminder for me of the spiritual process. Sometimes I am the caterpillar - barely able to see far enough in front of me to put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes I find myself in that dark place of the soul, and I remind myself that it is simply my cocoon. While all may seem dark, and I may feel like everything is totally disintegrating around me (and in me!) a miracle is at work in my life and I will soon be able to fly! I love those days where I experience the butterfly in my life! The ability to fly above all the mundane earthy matters and remember the truth and experience God's power in tangible ways in my life are wonderful times indeed that occur more and more often as I continue this journey! Thank you, God!

If you are so inclined, I invite you to journey with me as we seek the promised land together. While I hope to share some "faithbooking" (scrapbook pages or artistic journaling about my faith journey), much of the time the journey may well be seen in words, rather than pictures. I invite you to create your own pictures. How do these things play out in your life? I'd love to hear from you about your own spiritual journey!

Thursday, November 14, 2013

Stories

This morning I am thinking about stories.  Sometimes I enjoy research, but other times, I simply want to hear or read stories.  Today is a story day.  My brain is tired and wants to rest and research just feels too daunting.  But a story - that feels relaxing.  Even if I know there is a point to the story that I need to seek out, I know I don't have to "get it" all right away.  I can take my time and ponder the story.

These thoughts came as I listened to an interview with Andy Andrews.  As he talked about his choice to write stories with a message rather than "How To" books.  I realized how right he was.  They say a picture is worth a thousand words, and what is a story, except a picture in words?  

This morning I am grateful for those who write meaningful stories that can both entertain me and cause me to think about and understand great truths.  And I realize that this was one of the gifts Jesus brought.  We are told: "Jesus used stories to tell all these things to the people; he always used stories to teach them." Matthew 13:34 NCV  

Why did he always use stories or parables?  The disciples actually asked Him this question.  What was His answer? This is the way the Message Bible puts it:
He replied, "You've been given insight into God's kingdom. You know how it works. Not everybody has this gift, this insight; it hasn't been given to them. Whenever someone has a ready heart for this, the insights and understandings flow freely. But if there is no readiness, any trace of receptivity soon disappears. That's why I tell stories: to create readiness, to nudge the people toward receptive insight. In their present state they can stare till doomsday and not see it, listen till they're blue in the face and not get it. I don't want Isaiah's forecast repeated all over again:
Your ears are open but you don't hear a thing.
Your eyes are awake but you don't see a thing.
The people are blockheads!
They stick their fingers in their ears
so they won't have to listen;
They screw their eyes shut
so they won't have to look,
so they won't have to deal with me face-to-face
and let me heal them.
"But you have God-blessed eyes — eyes that see! And God-blessed ears — ears that hear!  A lot of people, prophets and humble believers among them, would have given anything to see what you are seeing, to hear what you are hearing, but never had the chance.  (Matthew 13:11-17 from THE MESSAGE: The Bible in Contemporary Language © 2002 by Eugene H. Peterson. All rights reserved.)
How am I doing this morning?  Am I one of those with ears open that doesn't hear a thing?  Are my eyes awake without seeing anything?  Do I stick my fingers in my ears so I don't have to listen or screw my eyes shut to avoid seeing what is before me? Sometimes I think I do.  Sometimes I just want to escape into anything that will keep me from dealing with what is in front of me.  Books, computer games, phone calls, shopping, food, even work can be a way to escape. But why would I choose escape when I could have healing instead? How would my life change if I made the choice to remove my fingers from my ears and open my eyes?  

Father, this morning I once again seek your will in my life.  I want to hear your voice, understand it, and obey.  I know how easily I can turn to various "escapes" when I feel overwhelmed by the tasks you have placed before me, but I know that is only because I have forgotten the truth.  Your yoke is easy and your burden is light! (Matt 11:30) I don't have to do all this on my own!  I am yoked together with you and you pull a lot of the load yourself!  As I think about this I flash on the picture of how different it is to do a challenging job when working WITH someone than when by myself.  Father, how often do I forget that You are working WITH me?  I am NOT alone!  Thank you, Father, for your promise that you continue to work in me both to will and to do of your good pleasure.  Father, today, may I indeed be one of those with "God-blessed eyes" and "God-blessed ears" that I may see, hear, and understand your will for me - and open to your power in my life to accomplish that.  Thank you, Father!

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is simply a sharing of my "daily bread" - my daily walk with God. If something I've said has touched your heart, or sparked a new thought, I'd love to hear from you.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *