About This Blog

The butterfly picture in the upper left corner is a symbol and reminder for me of the spiritual process. Sometimes I am the caterpillar - barely able to see far enough in front of me to put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes I find myself in that dark place of the soul, and I remind myself that it is simply my cocoon. While all may seem dark, and I may feel like everything is totally disintegrating around me (and in me!) a miracle is at work in my life and I will soon be able to fly! I love those days where I experience the butterfly in my life! The ability to fly above all the mundane earthy matters and remember the truth and experience God's power in tangible ways in my life are wonderful times indeed that occur more and more often as I continue this journey! Thank you, God!

If you are so inclined, I invite you to journey with me as we seek the promised land together. While I hope to share some "faithbooking" (scrapbook pages or artistic journaling about my faith journey), much of the time the journey may well be seen in words, rather than pictures. I invite you to create your own pictures. How do these things play out in your life? I'd love to hear from you about your own spiritual journey!

Saturday, November 30, 2013

Bless me, Father!

Some mornings when I take my devotional time, I feel like a feast has been set before me and I am SO spiritually fed I feel full to overflowing.  At other times, it is hard to feel that connection.  I can't say what makes the difference, but I have seen the power of Jacob's words when he wrestled with God the night before he was to meet Esau.  He said, "I will not let you go unless you bless me." - Genesis 32:26  NASU  

It can be tempting when I don't immediately recognize any spiritual food to just "leave the table" assuming it's just "not happening" today.  But Jesus taught us to pray "Give us this day our daily bread" (Matthew 6:11, Luke 11:3) and I have found that to be a powerful prayer - that applies to more than simply physical food.  It is a prayer I found myself praying once again this morning.

As I contemplated the story of Jacob, I was drawn to the blessing Jacob was given in response to his request.  He was asked what his "name" was and was given a new name.  In essence he was asked, what are you known for?  He had to reply "Jacob" - the supplanter or usurper. (Gen 32:28) He was told, "No longer - now you are to be known as 'Israel' one who has prevailed with God." 

What character traits do I have that need to be changed?  This is the blessing God seeks to give me today - to change my reputation!  One of the things I think of is that over the years I have sometimes had a reputation as a worrier.  This is a trait that I've seen God working in me to replace.  What a powerful and wonderful blessing if I come to be known as one with great faith instead of one who worries all the time!

Father, thank you for this blessing!  I know you are working in me to accomplish this!  Are there other such blessings I am to be recognizing at this time, Father?  I know another transformation you wish to bless me with is that I become known as generous and one who cares for others as much as myself, rather than selfish.  What a blessing, Father!  How wonderful to be able to be a blessing to others!  Father, as I move through my day this day, may these blessings be evident.  May my focus indeed be on you and others rather than on myself.  May I trust you fully rather than falling back into old habits of worrying about things.  Father, as I continue to contemplate my many blessings as this Thanksgiving season has reminded me to do, I see that the most amazing blessings of all are not the material blessings of food and shelter and clothing - though those are wonderful to have and I am so grateful for them.  The most amazing blessings are those changes you have made in me.  Increased faith and joy and generosity.  Father, I am SO grateful!

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is simply a sharing of my "daily bread" - my daily walk with God. If something I've said has touched your heart, or sparked a new thought, I'd love to hear from you.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *