About This Blog

The butterfly picture in the upper left corner is a symbol and reminder for me of the spiritual process. Sometimes I am the caterpillar - barely able to see far enough in front of me to put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes I find myself in that dark place of the soul, and I remind myself that it is simply my cocoon. While all may seem dark, and I may feel like everything is totally disintegrating around me (and in me!) a miracle is at work in my life and I will soon be able to fly! I love those days where I experience the butterfly in my life! The ability to fly above all the mundane earthy matters and remember the truth and experience God's power in tangible ways in my life are wonderful times indeed that occur more and more often as I continue this journey! Thank you, God!

If you are so inclined, I invite you to journey with me as we seek the promised land together. While I hope to share some "faithbooking" (scrapbook pages or artistic journaling about my faith journey), much of the time the journey may well be seen in words, rather than pictures. I invite you to create your own pictures. How do these things play out in your life? I'd love to hear from you about your own spiritual journey!

Sunday, November 24, 2013

No Arguing Either?

"Do everything without complaining or arguing" Philippians 2:14 NIV

This morning I was brought back to this verse, and realized not only do I complain at times, but sometimes I even argue.  Yesterday I had the unpleasant experience of arguing with my spouse.   Fortunately that is not a common occurrence, and we fairly quickly caught ourselves and made up, but it was still unpleasant in the moment. It once again showed me how easily I can fall into behavior that I really want to avoid. It just takes a short moment of focusing on myself and taking my eyes off my Heavenly Father and Guide.  

With this reminder from Philippians ringing in my ears, I decided to see what else the Bible had to say on the subject.  Here are some of the verses that caught my eye:
  • "Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires." James 1:19-20 NIV
  • "But if you have bitter jealousy and rivalry in your hearts, stop boasting and slandering the truth. That kind of wisdom does not come from above. No, it is worldly, self-centered, and demonic. For wherever jealousy and rivalry exist, there is disorder and every kind of evil. However, the wisdom that comes from above is first of all pure, then peace-loving, gentle, willing to yield, full of compassion and good deeds, and without a trace of partiality or hypocrisy. And a harvest of righteousness is grown from the seed of peace planted by peacemakers." James 3:14-18 ISV
  • "Let all bitterness, wrath, anger, quarreling, and slander be put away from you, along with all hatred. And be kind to one another, compassionate, forgiving one another just as God has forgiven you in the Messiah." Ephesians 4:31-32 ISV
  • "Pursue peace with everyone, as well as holiness, without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14-15 ISV  
  • "Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God." Matthew 5:9 KJV
Father, thank you for your guidance this day.  So much for me to think about!  I want to be quicker to listen - to you and to those around me.  I want to be slow to give advice and slow to become angry.  I want to focus on the wisdom that comes from you - wisdom that is pure, peace-loving, gentle, willing to yield, and full of compassion and good deeds.  I choose to be kind to others, compassionate and forgiving and to pursue peace with everyone. Father, I want to be known as your child!  I know only in you is it possible to consistently make these choices.  Only by keeping my eyes off myself and on YOU can I live this way on a day in, day out, basis.  When I remember your promises - that you "keep everything running right", that with you "all things work together for good", and that you have "set before me an open door that no one can shut", there is no reason to argue about anything.  As I remember that you are in charge, I can indeed pursue peace with everyone.  Thank you for your continued work in me to "will and to do of your good pleasure", Father!  Thank you for your loving guidance, for your gentle reproof, and for your example. May I do your will always.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is simply a sharing of my "daily bread" - my daily walk with God. If something I've said has touched your heart, or sparked a new thought, I'd love to hear from you.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *