About This Blog

The butterfly picture in the upper left corner is a symbol and reminder for me of the spiritual process. Sometimes I am the caterpillar - barely able to see far enough in front of me to put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes I find myself in that dark place of the soul, and I remind myself that it is simply my cocoon. While all may seem dark, and I may feel like everything is totally disintegrating around me (and in me!) a miracle is at work in my life and I will soon be able to fly! I love those days where I experience the butterfly in my life! The ability to fly above all the mundane earthy matters and remember the truth and experience God's power in tangible ways in my life are wonderful times indeed that occur more and more often as I continue this journey! Thank you, God!

If you are so inclined, I invite you to journey with me as we seek the promised land together. While I hope to share some "faithbooking" (scrapbook pages or artistic journaling about my faith journey), much of the time the journey may well be seen in words, rather than pictures. I invite you to create your own pictures. How do these things play out in your life? I'd love to hear from you about your own spiritual journey!

Sunday, November 17, 2013

Today I Will Choose to Be Happy!

A few days ago I mentioned listening to an interview with Andy Andrews. That interview made such an impact that I went to my on-line library to see if it had any of his books.  I found "The Traveler's Gift" as an audio book and I've enjoyed listening to it as I go about my tasks.  What he calls the "Fifth Decision for Success" really struck me because it covers a topic I've been being brought to over and over again in my Bible studies recently.  This fifth decision for success is "I will choose to be happy."  

I have often seen in my life that when I am receptive to something God wants to teach me, that I find information abounding, but this has gone beyond what I've seen before.  In the same day I listened to this book I read someone's blog post that also talked about what God's been working to teach me!  This particular book by Andy Andrews has really given me food for thought about HOW to choose to be happy.  One of the things it suggests is that within moments of awakening I laugh for 7 seconds.  It claims it has a physiologic affect that promotes joy.  I've already seen that laughing at a joke can make a real difference as I go about the tasks God has set before me, so I can certainly believe it.  Yet I find myself hesitant to do this.  I don't want to be seen as foolish by my husband - even though I KNOW he would be accepting of my doing it!  Am I going to let pride interfere with the guidance God is sending my way regarding this topic?  

Other things that strike me as I read his "5th Decision" are these ideas:
  • "People are drawn to me because I have laughter in my heart."  A week or two ago I wrote about the need to be in joy as I interact with others - especially in my new job.  This is one of the reasons it is so important!
  • "I will smile at every person I meet. . . . it is . . . the most potent weapon I possess."  I guess I would prefer the word "tool" to "weapon" here, but I get the idea - a smile is powerful. Wow!  Not long ago I wrote about discouragement, and he goes on to say that a smile will wither away any discouragement!  
  • Next he talks about cultivating a grateful spirit and how that also chases away discouragement.  This, of course, is something I've already been led to and have been blogging about, but one of the ways he said it really stood out to me. "It is impossible for the seeds of depression to take root in a thankful heart."
So, today, with Thanksgiving Day just around the corner, I find these ideas taking root in my heart in a way they have never done before.  For several years I have chosen to send out "Thanksgiving Cards" to some of those who have had an impact on my life during the year, thanking them for what and who they are in my life.  Today I see this task as even more important as I seek to incorporate God's instructions in my life - to "in everything give thanks" (1 Thes 5:18) and to "rejoice in the Lord always" (Phil 4:4).  Cultivating a joyful and grateful spirit is SO important!

Father, this morning I'm so grateful.  You are a wonderful teacher to me, sending just the information I need to hear when I need to hear it.  You've shown me that your joy is my strength (Neh 8:10) and that no matter what is going on in my life I can choose to be joyful because after all, "Nothing shall be impossible" with you (Luke 1:37)!  Father, this morning I DO make the choice to be happy.  You have given me so much!  Life, health, strength, joy, forgiveness are just the beginning of your gifts.  Father, thank you for the open door you have set before me and the willingness and strength you give me to walk through it!  Thank you for sleep and for joy!  Thank you for your presence in my life for truly "in your presence is fullness of joy" (Ps 16:11)!  Thank you, Father!

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is simply a sharing of my "daily bread" - my daily walk with God. If something I've said has touched your heart, or sparked a new thought, I'd love to hear from you.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *