About This Blog

The butterfly picture in the upper left corner is a symbol and reminder for me of the spiritual process. Sometimes I am the caterpillar - barely able to see far enough in front of me to put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes I find myself in that dark place of the soul, and I remind myself that it is simply my cocoon. While all may seem dark, and I may feel like everything is totally disintegrating around me (and in me!) a miracle is at work in my life and I will soon be able to fly! I love those days where I experience the butterfly in my life! The ability to fly above all the mundane earthy matters and remember the truth and experience God's power in tangible ways in my life are wonderful times indeed that occur more and more often as I continue this journey! Thank you, God!

If you are so inclined, I invite you to journey with me as we seek the promised land together. While I hope to share some "faithbooking" (scrapbook pages or artistic journaling about my faith journey), much of the time the journey may well be seen in words, rather than pictures. I invite you to create your own pictures. How do these things play out in your life? I'd love to hear from you about your own spiritual journey!

Monday, July 22, 2013

Unless the Lord Build the House

For the last several days, something has been on my mind and I want to be absolutely certain that I know God's will in this matter.  I have always been hesitant to ask God for a sign or to "put out a fleece" as Gideon did. Though there are plenty of examples in the Bible of folks asking for signs and God giving signs, I remember Jesus words about how "an evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign" (Matt 12:39). And I remember how Gideon asked for a sign with the fleece - not once but twice - and I was always taught how that demonstrated a lack of faith.  These stories have inspired caution, and yet how can I move forward in full confidence if I'm not certain of God's will in the matter?

So, this morning my husband and I prayed together and asked for a sign to clearly indicate God's will.  I did so with a fair amount of trepidation, but with an earnest desire to know God's will.  The verse that then came to me within minutes of finishing our prayer was the one right before the verse about Him giving sleep to those He loves.  It's found in Psalms 127:1: "Except the Lord build the house, they labor in vain that build it".  To me this was a clear indication that God understands that I only want to work towards building the house the Lord is building.  I don't want to be working outside of His will.  This is such a comfort to me!  So, the fleece has been put out so to speak and I've been given assurance that God understands my heart in this matter and I can trust in His love.  Now I want to read more about Gideon's experience in the hopes that I may be better prepared to move forward - in whatever direction God indicates.

The story of Gideon is found in the book of Judges, chapters 6 through 8. It is much too long to quote here, but there are a couple of things that seem particularly relevant to the idea of asking for a sign.  As I re-read the story, I realized that when Gideon had put out the fleece - twice - he had already received a sign where He had clearly recognized God.  He had presented food to His angelic visitor who had touched it with his staff which caused it to burst into flames and be completely burned up.  Gideon clearly indicated his recognition that it was God visiting him.  He STILL asked for the sign with the fleece, TWICE, after that.  However, there is no indication that God was displeased with him for doing so.  God understood that Gideon needed to be sure to be able to move forward in confidence.  In fact, AFTER giving Gideon those three signs, God took it a step further and gave Gideon a further sign in the form of a Midianite's dream & interpretation which God had directed him to listen for.  Isn't God wonderful?!  He understands our human fears and meets us where we are.  Thank you, Father!  And I found myself feeling very good about Gideon's choice after the battle was all over and he was approached by the people to reign as king.  He refused, saying that God would rule over the Israelites.  YAY!  Here was someone who clearly recognized God's leading and sought to point others in that direction.

I still find Gideon's story to be a cautionary one, though.  After the amazing victory - clearly orchestrated and implemented by God, Gideon took some steps that were apparently NOT directed by God.   He asked for spoils of the war - the rings that each Midianite was wearing.  At first glance, I'm tempted to think this was a selfish seeking of wealth for himself, but a further read of the story suggests a different motivation.  He melted these rings down and made an ephod - a garment that the high priest wore that was designed to indicate God's direction to the Israelites.  We are told, "Gideon crafted the booty into an ephod and enshrined it in his home town of Ophrah. Then all of Israel committed spiritual adultery with it there, and it became a snare for Gideon and his household." (Judges 8:27 ISV)  We're not told what Gideon's motivation was.  Did he begin to believe that he was someone specially chosen by God for more than leading the small army to defeat the Midianites? Did he come to think that God's leading him so personally meant that he should lead others the way the high priest was called to do?  Did he come to rely so much on signs that he chose to focus on seeking signs rather than seeking God?  Whatever his motivation, the story is clear: it became a snare for Gideon and his household.

I recognize this as a warning for me.  God understands my desire to follow His will and my need for clarity regarding His direction in my life. He is happy to support me in this way, but there are dangers.  I need to be clear to always seek His guidance rather than seeking signs.  And I need to make sure I don't set myself up as someone for others to follow in ways that He has not directed! 

Father, you know my heart.  You know I want your will to be done in my life. I don't want to run ahead and miss an important turn, I don't want to lag behind slowing our progress.  I want to walk WITH you, Father, in the way that YOU see is best.  Please protect me from the pitfalls along the way!  Thank you for your wise counsel and your promises to make sure I don't fall into a ditch! (Is 42:16)  Father, you have given me peace and the knowledge that you will direct my path.  Thank you!

I think of that verse "in all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your paths" (Proverbs 3:6).  Father, you know I want to acknowledge you, but I don't want to do so in a way that is offensive. For example, it is clear to me that you performed a miracle the other night during our showcase. Yet I'm not sure how to make that clear to others in a way that will be understood. And I don't want to come across as "holier than thou".  I remember telling someone a couple of days ago that it would only be prayer that got us through it.  They clearly felt horrified that I would say such a thing.  Yet, you and I and my husband all know this is true. It was only your answers to our prayers and our acceptance of your will in the matter that made it possible for us to dance that Foxtrot as smoothly as we did. Please show me how best to acknowledge you in all of this!   The credit is yours, and I want to be sure you get it!  More than that, this verse shows how important it is to acknowledge you if I am to continue to have your guidance - which is so vital to me!  So, Father, even in this I need your guidance.  Please show me how best to do this!

Thank you, Father, for your many blessings in my life. And most of all for your guidance and direction.  It means everything to me, and I am so grateful for it!  Thank you, Father!

I think of the other verse that impressed itself on me again this morning: "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble." (Matthew 6:33,34 NKJV)  Clearly this is my answer; put God FIRST, and the rest will fall into place. Thank you, Father!  This is what I want to do.  Please show me how! Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is simply a sharing of my "daily bread" - my daily walk with God. If something I've said has touched your heart, or sparked a new thought, I'd love to hear from you.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *