About This Blog

The butterfly picture in the upper left corner is a symbol and reminder for me of the spiritual process. Sometimes I am the caterpillar - barely able to see far enough in front of me to put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes I find myself in that dark place of the soul, and I remind myself that it is simply my cocoon. While all may seem dark, and I may feel like everything is totally disintegrating around me (and in me!) a miracle is at work in my life and I will soon be able to fly! I love those days where I experience the butterfly in my life! The ability to fly above all the mundane earthy matters and remember the truth and experience God's power in tangible ways in my life are wonderful times indeed that occur more and more often as I continue this journey! Thank you, God!

If you are so inclined, I invite you to journey with me as we seek the promised land together. While I hope to share some "faithbooking" (scrapbook pages or artistic journaling about my faith journey), much of the time the journey may well be seen in words, rather than pictures. I invite you to create your own pictures. How do these things play out in your life? I'd love to hear from you about your own spiritual journey!

Thursday, July 11, 2013

No Matter What

Today I am once again dealing with a change in what I thought were my plans.  It's so easy to get frustrated at a time like this and ask "Why?  Why did I put so much time into preparing for something only to have things change?  I have plenty of other things I could have done instead!"  And yet I am reminded this morning that I am to give thanks in ALL things. To do otherwise is to cease to trust in God's plan for me!

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 says: "Be cheerful no matter what; pray all the time; thank God no matter what happens. This is the way God wants you who belong to Christ Jesus to live." (from THE MESSAGE: The Bible in Contemporary Language © 2002 by Eugene H. Peterson. All rights reserved.)  

And I once again am drawn to the words of Romans 8:26-28: "Meanwhile, the moment we get tired in the waiting, God's Spirit is right alongside helping us along. If we don't know how or what to pray, it doesn't matter. He does our praying in and for us, making prayer out of our wordless sighs, our aching groans.  He knows us far better than we know ourselves, knows our pregnant condition, and keeps us present before God.  That's why we can be so sure that every detail in our lives of love for God is worked into something good. (from THE MESSAGE: The Bible in Contemporary Language © 2002 by Eugene H. Peterson. All rights reserved.)  

I've never before read these words from this version of the Bible and this morning they really strike a cord.  I AM tired of the wating.  I AM "pregnant" - preparing to birth a new career as it were.  This is the second time that it looked like I'd be given the opportunity to step more fully into it, only to have the door closed after I had done most of the preparation.  God indeed knows my "pregnant condition" far better than I do.  While this "false labor" is frustrating, I DON'T want this baby birthed before its time! I am SO grateful for the promise that God's Spirit is right alongside helping me and that even if I don't know how or what to pray He does it in and for me. And I am SO grateful that I can know and trust that as I continue to focus on my love for my Heavenly Father and His guidance in my life, EVERY detail of my life is worked into something good. Thank you Father, for these promises this morning! Father, forgive me for my frustration and for forgetting that this is YOUR baby - not mine.  May YOUR will be done and may I be an open channel for your will.  Thank you that you understand my frustration at this "false labor" and yet are willing hold things back until the time is right!!!!  Thank you, Father, for your love for me.  Thank you so much for your guidance in my life!

I am caught by the visual of "false labor".  It seems VERY appropriate here!  I went searching on the web to see what I could learn about the reason for Braxon-Hicks contractions and found these musings by a mother who had been through it - possible reasons for what she refuses to call "false" labor.  They might:
  • Make you learn to focus through them.
  • Encourage you to practice breathing deeply and purposefully.
  • Inspire you to get walking in order to trigger real labor.
  • Help you practice ignoring minor pain.
  • Tone your uterus and other wise help prepare for birth.
  • Help rotate your baby into a more optimal position for birth.
I think of the promise that God's word does not return to him void, but accomplishes what he pleases (Isaiah 55:11).  And I am convinced that there IS a reason for everything.  I may not know what it is, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.  I choose to trust God - and am grateful that He exists and cares so much for me.

As I continue with my reading this morning, I return to the next section of Psalms 119:
"What you say goes, God, and stays, as permanent as the heavens. Your truth never goes out of fashion; it's as up-to-date as the earth when the sun comes up. Your Word and truth are dependable as ever; that's what you ordered — you set the earth going. If your revelation hadn't delighted me so, I would have given up when the hard times came. But I'll never forget the advice you gave me; you saved my life with those wise words. Save me! I'm all yours. I look high and low for your words of wisdom. The wicked lie in ambush to destroy me, but I'm only concerned with your plans for me. I see the limits to everything human, but the horizons can't contain your commands!" (Psalms 119:89-96 - from THE MESSAGE: The Bible in Contemporary Language © 2002 by Eugene H. Peterson. All rights reserved.)
These feel in some ways like my own words.  I am SO grateful that God is in charge, and that He reminds me of those things I need to remember. Father, as I read about the "wicked" who "lie in ambush to destroy me", I see beyond those humans "out there" that would like to see me stumble.  I see my own human self in those words.  It is easy for that humanness to ambush me and cause me to lash out when I don't feel others are treating me right - and I know doing so would seriously undermine me.  Thank you for keeping me from doing so last night! You did indeed save me with your wise words! May my words be understood in the spirit in which they were/are meant.  And, in truth, may ALL of me mean them in that spirit - a spirit of love and understanding - loving my neighbor as myself.  Father, please keep me from impatience.  It's so easy to try to peer ahead, trying to see what's around the corner.  I realize a big part of that is that I want to be prepared for it.  May I remember that I can trust you to prepare me for what lies ahead - that you see the way far more clearly than I ever could and that you love me.  Father, I think again of the words of Paul in his 2nd letter to Timothy: 
"For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline." (2 Timothy 1:7 - Holy Bible, New Living Translation ®, copyright © 1996, 2004 by Tyndale Charitable Trust. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers. All rights reserved.)
I think of Timothy and what he faced.  He too was younger than many of those he worked with and had to be reminded by Paul to not let anyone despise him for his youth (1 Tim 4:12).  I realize this is part of what I, too, am dealing with - only it's not just other people that may try to despise me for my "youth" in this field, but my own self as well!  Father, I once again ask that you bring your perfect love to bear so that my fear is fully cast out!  May I hold myself in your power, your love, and the self-discipline that YOU give, this day - and every day!  Thank you, Father, so much for your love and protection!  I love you, Father.  Please keep me in your will and on your path!  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is simply a sharing of my "daily bread" - my daily walk with God. If something I've said has touched your heart, or sparked a new thought, I'd love to hear from you.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *