About This Blog

The butterfly picture in the upper left corner is a symbol and reminder for me of the spiritual process. Sometimes I am the caterpillar - barely able to see far enough in front of me to put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes I find myself in that dark place of the soul, and I remind myself that it is simply my cocoon. While all may seem dark, and I may feel like everything is totally disintegrating around me (and in me!) a miracle is at work in my life and I will soon be able to fly! I love those days where I experience the butterfly in my life! The ability to fly above all the mundane earthy matters and remember the truth and experience God's power in tangible ways in my life are wonderful times indeed that occur more and more often as I continue this journey! Thank you, God!

If you are so inclined, I invite you to journey with me as we seek the promised land together. While I hope to share some "faithbooking" (scrapbook pages or artistic journaling about my faith journey), much of the time the journey may well be seen in words, rather than pictures. I invite you to create your own pictures. How do these things play out in your life? I'd love to hear from you about your own spiritual journey!

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Fear God?

I've always wondered about the verses that talk about coming before God with fear and trembling.  My experience of God is that He is a God of love, mercy, and patience, and we have NOTHING to fear.  "The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?" (Psalms 27:1 KJV)  

Why then does the Bible so often speak of fearing God, then?  I think, for example, of this verse: "Serve the Lord with fear, And rejoice with trembling." (Psalms 2:11 NKJV)  Does that even make sense? How can you rejoice with trembling? And if you can, why would you want to? And why should you serve God with fear? Well, I'm sure I don't have all the answers, but this morning I may have one of them. 

A couple of days ago I mentioned asking for a sign.  Today we have our answer.  As God has repeatedly told me, He has set before me an open door.  Now I have to be willing to walk through it.  I want to be enthusiastic about the opportunities ahead, knowing that God's will is best - but what I feel the most is fear.  I'm not ready for this! Or at least I don't feel ready.  But I know God can be trusted and if He says to move forward, that is what I want to do. As I think about this, I realize that it's not surprising that we might sometimes fear God!  He asks us to do things that we CAN NOT do - at least on our own.  His plans for us are big enough to ENSURE that we rely on Him. So, this morning I feel the fear and ask to be able to serve Him and be able to rejoice - even in the midst of my fear.  As I focus on the fact that God can be trusted and work to move forward into what He has put before me, I ask that His love cast out my fear as He has promised (I John 4:18). 

I turn to Psalms 119 as I have been doing for some time now.  I'm nearing the end of this longest chapter.  As usual I read in several versions.  These words jump out at me: "Influential people have persecuted me for no reason, but it is only your words that fill my heart with terror. I find joy in your promise like someone who finds a priceless treasure." (Psalms 119:161-162 - from GOD'S WORD Copyright © 1995 by God's Word to the Nations Bible Society. All rights reserved.)  Why would God's words fill the Psalmists heart with terror?  And yet, isn't that what I've been feeling as I think about moving forward into what He has set before me? Terror seeems like a pretty good word to describe my feelings!  And what confusing emotions are described here!  How can one experience terror & joy from the same thing?  And yet, isn't that similar to what I'm experiencing?  In addition to the terror, I also feel immense gratitude that God is so patient with me and so willing to go over things again and again with me until I feel confident that I understand His will for me.  And I feel joy at the miracle He's already performed for us. There's even a TINY part of me that is excited to see what He is bringing about.

Returning to the passage in Psalms 119, I read it from the Message Bible:
"I've been slandered unmercifully by the politicians, but my awe at your words keeps me stable.  I'm ecstatic over what you say, like one who strikes it rich.  I hate lies — can't stand them! —  but I love what you have revealed.  Seven times each day I stop and shout praises for the way you keep everything running right.  For those who love what you reveal, everything fits —  no stumbling around in the dark for them.  I wait  expectantly for your salvation; God, I do what you tell me.  My soul guards and keeps all your instructions —  oh, how much I love them!  I follow your directions, abide by your counsel; my life's an open book before you." (Psalms 119:161-168 - from THE MESSAGE: The Bible in Contemporary Language © 2002 by Eugene H. Peterson. All rights reserved.)
Several things strike me from this passage:
  • I can relate to dealing with the politician's slander and hating lies.  I think part of what makes stepping forward so frightening for me - besides the fear of "failure" (how can I fail if I do what God directs through His strength?  Things might not turn out as I think I might want them to, but how can I call God's handiwork failure?????) - is the knowledge that I will once again become in some ways a "public" figure, and as such, will be more likely to experience slander and gossip behind my back.  It has happened before - and I will likely be dealing with some of those same people again!  How do I combat this? The answer comes clear as I read further.
  • God's guidance and my appreciation of it can keep me stable and help me avoid becoming upset and discouraged by any gossip or slander that comes my way. 
  • I've known how valuable gratitude is, but it sounds like I need to "up my game" in that regard. "Seven times each day I stop and shout praises for the way you keep everything running right."  Wow! What will my life be like if I make it a point to stop SEVEN times each day to shout praises to God for the way He keeps everything running right????? This sounds like a REALLY valuable habit to form!
  • What a great promise - "For those who love what you reveal, everything fits —  no stumbling around in the dark for them."  Thank you, Father! Please fill me with your love so I can live this way - loving what you reveal instead of fearing it!  Thank you, Father.   
  • I need to do what I'm told and trust God for the rest, waiting for Him to act. "I wait  expectantly for your salvation; God, I do what you tell me.  My soul guards and keeps all your instructions —  oh, how much I love them!  I follow your directions, abide by your counsel; my life's an open book before you."
I decided to do a little more looking at verses that talk about "fear and trembling".  Here are a couple less common ones that stood out to me.  The first is a passage written by Paul to the Corinthians, describing His early experiences with them (emphasis mine).
"When I came to you, brothers, I didn’t come and tell you about God’s secret with rhetorical language or wisdom. For while I was with you I resolved to know nothing except Jesus the Messiah, and him crucified. It was in weakness, fear, and great trembling that I came to you. My message and my preaching were not accompanied by clever, wise words, but by a display of the Spirit’s power, so that your faith would not be based on human wisdom but on God’s power." (1 Corinthians 2:1-5 ISV)
This is Paul's experience about preaching, but I hear that still small voice speaking to me about my upcoming teaching.  I SO long to be seen as a "good" teacher.  I want to have perfect form as I demonstrate the moves and be very articulate as I explain things - with examples that all can relate to. Much, I suspect, as Paul might have wanted to preach with "clever, wise words".  Instead, I need to continue to seek God's guidance and power to carry out His will. "For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure. Do all things without murmurings and disputings: That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world; (Philippians 2:13-15 KJV)  This verse not only promises that God will work with me so that I am eager to do His will, but will also give me what I need to be able to carry out his bidding.  And the bit about doing all things without murmurings and disputings is a confirmation to me that trying to build bridges where there might otherwise be contention is indeed an important thing.  Thank you, Father, for your ideas in this regard!
 
One last passage about fear and trembling speaks to me.  The passage is talking about Titus and his reception by the church at Corinth, but through the words I hear the voice of my Savior "And his affections are greater for you as he remembers the obedience of you all, how with fear and trembling you received him." (2 Corinthians 7:15-16 NKJV - speaking of Titus)  That still small voice whispers to me that God's affection for me will be only increased as he remembers my obedience despite my fear and trembling.  Thank you, Father, for your understanding.  I want to be obedient.  Please fulfill your promises and work that miracle in my life that I may sing your praises seven times a day; That I may do your will and step forward despite my human fears and will rejoice in your salvation.  Thank you, God!

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is simply a sharing of my "daily bread" - my daily walk with God. If something I've said has touched your heart, or sparked a new thought, I'd love to hear from you.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *