About This Blog

The butterfly picture in the upper left corner is a symbol and reminder for me of the spiritual process. Sometimes I am the caterpillar - barely able to see far enough in front of me to put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes I find myself in that dark place of the soul, and I remind myself that it is simply my cocoon. While all may seem dark, and I may feel like everything is totally disintegrating around me (and in me!) a miracle is at work in my life and I will soon be able to fly! I love those days where I experience the butterfly in my life! The ability to fly above all the mundane earthy matters and remember the truth and experience God's power in tangible ways in my life are wonderful times indeed that occur more and more often as I continue this journey! Thank you, God!

If you are so inclined, I invite you to journey with me as we seek the promised land together. While I hope to share some "faithbooking" (scrapbook pages or artistic journaling about my faith journey), much of the time the journey may well be seen in words, rather than pictures. I invite you to create your own pictures. How do these things play out in your life? I'd love to hear from you about your own spiritual journey!

Friday, July 5, 2013

In the Still of the Night

As I once again turn to the next section of verses in Psalms 119, I am struck that this time when it starts by talking about promises, it is not talking about God's promises to me, but my promises to God.  I've always thought of myself as a woman of my word - one who keeps her promises.  But how well could I keep a promise like this? 
"Because you have satisfied me, God, I promise to do everything you say.  I beg you from the bottom of my heart: smile, be gracious to me just as you promised.  When I took a long, careful look at your ways, I got my feet back on the trail you blazed.  I was up at once, didn't drag my feet, was quick to follow your orders.  The wicked hemmed me in — there was no way out —  but not for a minute did I forget your plan for me.  I get up in the middle of the night to thank you; your decisions are so right, so true — I can't wait till morning!  I'm a friend and companion of all who fear you, of those committed to living by your rules.  Your love, God, fills the earth! Train me to live by your counsel." (Psalms 119:57-64 - from THE MESSAGE: The Bible in Contemporary Language © 2002 by Eugene H. Peterson. All rights reserved.)
Am I even willing to consider such a promise?  God has made such wonderful promises to me.  And yet I am nervous about making such a promise to Him.  I worry that it's one that I can't keep.  But can't I claim God's promises to enable me to do so?  Father, I too, want you to train me to live by your counsel.  I want to be able to promise to do everything you say, but I know how powerful old tapes and old ways of doing things can be in me.  This is why I need your salvation, Lord!  And I thank you for the many promises of salvation that you have given me!  May I trust you to make the necessary changes in me so that I CAN promise to do everything you say!  I want to be able to say with the Psalmist that I am quick to follow your orders!  

I think of the way orders must be followed in the military.  If that much respect can be afforded fallible human officers, how much more respect should I be able to show my God? How can I even think to argue with someone who has my best interest at heart and who knows everything so is making the very best decisions everytime? Father, forgive me!  Thank you for your patience with me.  May I indeed be eager and quick to follow your instructions!

The words that really stand out to me in this passage, though are those about getting up in the middle of the night.  I often awake in the middle of the night.  At first, I just grumbled and complained and got up to try to accomplish something since I couldn't sleep.  Then I came across that passage that talked about God giving sleep to those He loves (Psalms 127:2), and I've started reminding God of that promise when I awaken in the middle of the night. As I've repeated that promise and meditated on it, I have been grateful for the way God has fulfilled His promise so that I've been able to go back to sleep.  

Now I have a new thought.  What if I use those times I'm awake in the middle of the night to THANK God?  Rather than reminding God of His promises (which He ALREADY remembers), why not thank Him for them?  Father, I am indeed grateful for your promises - and not just because of the promised benefits, but because of what they show me about your character.  Father, I am so grateful that you give sleep to those you love! I think of the story my daughter told me recently about a company that expected its employees to work 12 - 15 hour days for months on end - and then fired them when they still couldn't meet the impossible deadlines.  This is NOT the way God is!  God loves me and knows that I need my sleep!  His yoke is easy and His burden is light.  Thank you, Father!

Father, thank you for such great love that it fills the earth!  I DO want to learn to live fully by your counsel.  Thank you for your continued work to make of me a new creature, removing those old tapes that get in the way of my understanding of You and Your will for me.  Thank you for the promises that you will see to completion the work that you have begun in me!  I love you, Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is simply a sharing of my "daily bread" - my daily walk with God. If something I've said has touched your heart, or sparked a new thought, I'd love to hear from you.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *