About This Blog

The butterfly picture in the upper left corner is a symbol and reminder for me of the spiritual process. Sometimes I am the caterpillar - barely able to see far enough in front of me to put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes I find myself in that dark place of the soul, and I remind myself that it is simply my cocoon. While all may seem dark, and I may feel like everything is totally disintegrating around me (and in me!) a miracle is at work in my life and I will soon be able to fly! I love those days where I experience the butterfly in my life! The ability to fly above all the mundane earthy matters and remember the truth and experience God's power in tangible ways in my life are wonderful times indeed that occur more and more often as I continue this journey! Thank you, God!

If you are so inclined, I invite you to journey with me as we seek the promised land together. While I hope to share some "faithbooking" (scrapbook pages or artistic journaling about my faith journey), much of the time the journey may well be seen in words, rather than pictures. I invite you to create your own pictures. How do these things play out in your life? I'd love to hear from you about your own spiritual journey!

Monday, July 1, 2013

Handling Depression

As I return to Psalms 119, I find guidance for those times when I might feel depressed:
"I'm feeling terrible — I couldn't feel worse!  Get me on my feet again. You promised, remember? When I told my story, you responded; train me well in your deep wisdom.  Help me understand these things inside and out so I can ponder your miracle-wonders.  My sad life's dilapidated, a falling-down barn; build me up again by your Word.  Barricade the road that goes Nowhere; grace me with your clear revelation.  I choose the true road to Somewhere, I post your road signs at every curve and corner.  I grasp and cling to whatever you tell me; God, don't let me down!  I'll run the course you lay out for me if you'll just show me how." (Psalms 119:25-32 - from THE MESSAGE: The Bible in Contemporary Language © 2002 by Eugene H. Peterson. All rights reserved.)
I love the fact that I can be REAL with God, my Father.  I don't have to put on a front and pretend to be something I'm not.  If I'm feeling depressed, I don't have to try to hide it from Him. I can talk to Him about it and find comfort and healing!  Thank you, Father! 

Here are some hints for moving through depression that I see hiding in these verses:
  • Remind God of His promises to me - though I suspect He remembers - it's really myself that needs the reminding!  As I remember His promises and the way He's led me in the past ("when I told my story you responded"), I can feel my burdens begin to lift.
  • Another tool I can use to combat depression is visualization - visualizing the healing God is bringing.  In these verses the Psalmist is using the visualization of a dilapidated old barn in need of refurbishing, and a roadblock across the road that leads nowhere.   
  • As always, seeking His guidance is key. "Grace me with your clear revelation."
  • Remembering and putting into practice what I'm told as I seek His guidance is important - like writing His instructions on signposts that are placed at every turn, so there is no chance of getting lost.
  • Willingness to do what He directs is key.  I know God won't let me down as I do!
Father, thank you for your unconditional love - that I don't have to put up a front with you, but you accept me as I am.  Happy or sad, at peace or in turmoil, patient or angry - no matter where I am, you are there with guidance and protection.  Thank you, Father! May I follow your guidance always! Thank you for your promises of peace!  Thank you for your promises of protection! Thank you for your love!  I am so grateful, Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is simply a sharing of my "daily bread" - my daily walk with God. If something I've said has touched your heart, or sparked a new thought, I'd love to hear from you.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *