About This Blog

The butterfly picture in the upper left corner is a symbol and reminder for me of the spiritual process. Sometimes I am the caterpillar - barely able to see far enough in front of me to put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes I find myself in that dark place of the soul, and I remind myself that it is simply my cocoon. While all may seem dark, and I may feel like everything is totally disintegrating around me (and in me!) a miracle is at work in my life and I will soon be able to fly! I love those days where I experience the butterfly in my life! The ability to fly above all the mundane earthy matters and remember the truth and experience God's power in tangible ways in my life are wonderful times indeed that occur more and more often as I continue this journey! Thank you, God!

If you are so inclined, I invite you to journey with me as we seek the promised land together. While I hope to share some "faithbooking" (scrapbook pages or artistic journaling about my faith journey), much of the time the journey may well be seen in words, rather than pictures. I invite you to create your own pictures. How do these things play out in your life? I'd love to hear from you about your own spiritual journey!

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Lessons for Living

"God, teach me lessons for living so I can stay the course. Give me insight so I can do what you tell me — my whole life one long, obedient response.  Guide me down the road of your commandments; I love traveling this freeway!  Give me a bent for your words of wisdom, and not for piling up loot.  Divert my eyes from toys and trinkets, invigorate me on the pilgrim way.  Affirm your promises to me —  promises made to all who fear you.  Deflect the harsh words of my critics —  but what you say is always so good.  See how hungry I am for your counsel; preserve my life through your righteous ways!" (Psalms 119:33-40 - from THE MESSAGE: The Bible in Contemporary Language © 2002 by Eugene H. Peterson. All rights reserved.)
Father, I too want these lessons that can make my life one long, obedient response!  I want to be able to say with the Psalmist, "I love traveling this freeway!"  At times I feel so far from this experience.  As I ponder these words this morning, may I gain the insight and understanding I need to fully experience what it means to love traveling the freeway of your teachings!

Staying the course: That's what these verses suggest God's lessons for living will help me do.  And it is one of my challenges in life.  It's pretty easy to make a plan and take the first steps.  But to really follow through and keep at it no matter what - that's a challenge I still haven't fully conquered. Whether it's health habits, housecleaning, or seeking guidance from God, consistency and follow through is not always as good as I would like. But in these verses, the Psalmist reminds me that God can help with that too! Thank you, Father!  I look for that guidance, today!

Obedience:  This, apparently, is something else I can expect God's lessons to help me with.  I wish I could say this was never an issue for me, but sometimes I can be so rebellious.  I daily need to allow Him to take my will and replace it with His.  As I seek to align my will with God's and to have that right spirit renewed within me, I am encouraged by these words.  Not only can I expect that as I continue to seek God's guidance He will help me live obediently, but I will be able to say, "I LOVE traveling this way!"  Thank you, Father!

Healthy Desires: Here is also the suggestion that human desires for wealth and various trinkets can be replaced by a focus on God's words of wisdom.  That God can and will "give me a bent" - a desire - for following God's path.  Obviously as He does this, obedience and staying the course become MUCH easier.  Thank you, Father!

Relying on God's Promises:  There are so many wonderful promises that God gives!  No wonder the Psalmist says, "what you say is always so good". As I am reminded of God's promises, I find my love for this path of obedience increasing.  How could I not love a God that wants to give me so much good?  How could I not love His ways when they promise to bring such blessings!  Thank you, Father!

Hungering for God's Guidance: Am I doing this?  It's tempting sometimes to put myself down and focus on those times when I have run from God - which I've done too often - but I DO also remember other times.  Times when I've cried out to God, "Father, I don't know what to do.  I want to do your will.  Please show me the path to take!"  I am so grateful that He is willing to guide me!  Thank you, Father!

Life: Here is the indication that God's ways bring life - an idea affirmed by these words of David:  "You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand." (Psalms 16:11 NIV)  Not only life, but joy and eternal pleasures!  Thank you, Father!

Father, as I continue to trust you and seek your guidance, I am relieved to see so many promises.  And I am grateful to see that following your guidance brings so many good things! Your yoke really IS easy and your burden light.  Why have I thought otherwise and been so afraid at times?  Forgive me, Father!  I am so grateful for your guidance and strength as I continue to learn from you.  Thank you for increased understanding and peace in my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is simply a sharing of my "daily bread" - my daily walk with God. If something I've said has touched your heart, or sparked a new thought, I'd love to hear from you.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *