About This Blog

The butterfly picture in the upper left corner is a symbol and reminder for me of the spiritual process. Sometimes I am the caterpillar - barely able to see far enough in front of me to put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes I find myself in that dark place of the soul, and I remind myself that it is simply my cocoon. While all may seem dark, and I may feel like everything is totally disintegrating around me (and in me!) a miracle is at work in my life and I will soon be able to fly! I love those days where I experience the butterfly in my life! The ability to fly above all the mundane earthy matters and remember the truth and experience God's power in tangible ways in my life are wonderful times indeed that occur more and more often as I continue this journey! Thank you, God!

If you are so inclined, I invite you to journey with me as we seek the promised land together. While I hope to share some "faithbooking" (scrapbook pages or artistic journaling about my faith journey), much of the time the journey may well be seen in words, rather than pictures. I invite you to create your own pictures. How do these things play out in your life? I'd love to hear from you about your own spiritual journey!

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

No Need to Fear

At first glance, today's passage is challenging for me: 
"Don't leave me to the mercy of my enemies, for I have done what is just and right. Please guarantee a blessing for me. Don't let the arrogant oppress me! My eyes strain to see your rescue, to see the truth of your promise fulfilled. I am your servant; deal with me in unfailing love, and teach me your decrees. Give discernment to me, your servant; then I will understand your laws. Lord, it is time for you to act, for these evil people have violated your instructions. Truly, I love your commands more than gold, even the finest gold. Each of your commandments is right. That is why I hate every false way." (Psalms 119:121-128 - Holy Bible, New Living Translation ®, copyright © 1996, 2004 by Tyndale Charitable Trust. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers. All rights reserved.)
I don't really feel like I have enemies hounding me - and I certainly can't say I ALWAYS do what is just and right, though that is certainly my desire.  And yet, as I move forward, I know that part of my concern is that people with their own agendas might cause trouble for me or guide me in a wrong direction. While "enemies" seems a bit strong for describing these people, still the idea is similar.  Father, please don't let them "oppress" me or cause me to stumble on the path you have set for me! Please keep me safe in the shelter of your arms as you've promised!

I can really relate to some of it.  I pray for God's blessing, and I am very focused right now on trying to see the path ahead and to understand God's will as I move forward into these new endeavors. So, I understand about the eye-strain the Psalmist mentions. :-)  And, as the Psalmist did, I have to continually remind myself that God will continue to deal with me in unfailing love as he gently guides me forward despite the fear that periodically looms inside me.  And I, too, seek increased discernment that I may know and follow His will.  I also feel a sense of anticipation as God acts on my behalf, clearing the way before me. I KNOW his ways are best and I want to stay on the path He has set for me.

Father, I once again ask for your continued guidance in my life.  Please keep my feet on your path.  Please open and close doors as needed to keep me within your will.  Please replace my fear with your perfect love and keep me open to your guidance.  May I not shirk from moving forward because of fear, nor run ahead in excitement into places you would not have me go.  Please keep a watch on my mouth that I only say what you would have me say, but that I do not hold back from saying what should be said.  Thank you, Father!  Father, I specifically ask for words of wisdom from you to guide me this day. 

What comes to me are the words of the Psalmist "Thy words are a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path."  And I feel my Heavenly Father suggesting that I re-read the advice He gave me a couple of days ago when I looked at that passage.  As I do so, I am once again reminded of His promise:
"But I'll take the hand of those who don't know the way, who can't see where they're going.  I'll be a personal guide to them, directing them through unknown country. I'll be right there to show them what roads to take, make sure they don't fall into the ditch. These are the things I'll be doing for them —  sticking with them, not leaving them for a minute."  (Isaiah 42:16 - from THE MESSAGE: The Bible in Contemporary Language © 2002 by Eugene H. Peterson. All rights reserved.)
Father, thank you so much!  You are an amazing God, and I am so grateful to be led by your hand!  How would I ever live without you!  Thank you for the promise that you'll make sure I won't fall into a ditch and that you'll be there with me every minute, guiding me through this unknown country.  How can I fear in the face of such promises, Father?  Thank you! 

And again he speaks through a verse I've read recently, and I have to chuckle through my tears:

"I know thy works: behold, I have set before thee an open door, and no man can shut it: for thou hast a little strength, and hast kept my word, and hast not denied my name." (Revelation 3:8 KJV)
A "little" strength pretty well sums it up.  I'm not nearly as strong as I might wish, but my Father promises that's okay because His strength is made perfect in weakness! (II Cor 12:9)  And I have continued to keep His word before me, continually seeking His guidance. And I have NOT denied His name.  Not only am I writing this blog, but in a couple of e-mails I recently sent out I mentioned praying about my next steps - even when I wasn't sure how such an admission might be received.  So I see clearly that this promise is indeed meant for me.  He has set before me an open door and no one can shut it.  Thank you, Father! And thank you for taking me by the hand to give me courage as I step through that door you have opened for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is simply a sharing of my "daily bread" - my daily walk with God. If something I've said has touched your heart, or sparked a new thought, I'd love to hear from you.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *