About This Blog

The butterfly picture in the upper left corner is a symbol and reminder for me of the spiritual process. Sometimes I am the caterpillar - barely able to see far enough in front of me to put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes I find myself in that dark place of the soul, and I remind myself that it is simply my cocoon. While all may seem dark, and I may feel like everything is totally disintegrating around me (and in me!) a miracle is at work in my life and I will soon be able to fly! I love those days where I experience the butterfly in my life! The ability to fly above all the mundane earthy matters and remember the truth and experience God's power in tangible ways in my life are wonderful times indeed that occur more and more often as I continue this journey! Thank you, God!

If you are so inclined, I invite you to journey with me as we seek the promised land together. While I hope to share some "faithbooking" (scrapbook pages or artistic journaling about my faith journey), much of the time the journey may well be seen in words, rather than pictures. I invite you to create your own pictures. How do these things play out in your life? I'd love to hear from you about your own spiritual journey!

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Going Public

This morning I'm looking at the next set of verses of Psalms 119 from several different Bible versions.  They seem so different, I figure there's lots of food for thought in a comparison:
Let your love, God, shape my life with salvation, exactly as you promised;  Then I'll be able to stand up to mockery because I trusted your Word.  Don't ever deprive me of truth, not ever —  your commandments are what I depend on.  Oh, I'll guard with my life what you've revealed to me, guard it now, guard it ever;  And I'll stride freely through wide open spaces as I look for your truth and your wisdom;  Then I'll tell the world what I find, speak out boldly in public, unembarrassed.  I cherish your commandments — oh, how I love them! —  relishing every fragment of your counsel. (Psalms 119:41-48 - from THE MESSAGE: The Bible in Contemporary Language © 2002 by Eugene H. Peterson. All rights reserved.)
"Let your blessings reach me, O Lord. Save me as you promised. Then I will have an answer for the one who insults me since I trust your word. Do not take so much as a single word of truth from my mouth. My hope is based on your regulations. I will follow your teachings forever and ever. I will walk around freely because I sought out your guiding principles. I will speak about your written instructions in the presence of kings and not feel ashamed. Your commandments, which I love, make me happy. I lift my hands in prayer because of your commandments, which I love. I will reflect on your laws." (Psalms 119:41-48 - from GOD'S WORD Copyright © 1995 by God's Word to the Nations Bible Society. All rights reserved.)
"Let Your mercies come also to me, O Lord — Your salvation according to Your word.  So shall I have an answer for him who reproaches me, For I trust in Your word.  And take not the word of truth utterly out of my mouth, For I have hoped in Your ordinances.  So shall I keep Your law continually, Forever and ever.  And I will walk at liberty, For I seek Your precepts. I will speak of Your testimonies also before kings, And will not be ashamed. And I will delight myself in Your commandments, Which I love. My hands also I will lift up to Your commandments, Which I love, And I will meditate on Your statutes."  (Psalms 119:41-48 NKJV)
 Here are some of the things I see:
  • Blessings - It's okay to ask for God's blessings and claim His promises! It seems selfish, but He has asked me to do this.  He WANTS me to bring my needs and desires to Him!  Though it may seem selfish, it provides a demonstration for those who would mock me or reproach me because of my belief in God.  Thank you, God!
  • Ability to stand up to mockery - Trusting His word enables me to stand firm in the face of challenge or outright mockery. Knowing He can be depended on and knowing the depth of His love makes everything so much easier! Thank you, God!
  • Salvation - This is one of those words whose meaning has been muddied for me by old tapes and religious rhetoric. If I go back to what the word REALLY means - saving me - it is such a beautiful promise.  I am saddened as I realize how much the word salvation for me has been tainted with overtones of its opposite so that the very word brings up images of being lost because of somehow not seeking salvation correctly and thus fear of not receiving "salvation".  But when I think of God "saving" me, a whole different picture emerges.  I KNOW I can trust God.  The whole idea of needing saving is based in KNOWING I don't deserve it, but that God loves me and has promised to cover me with his wings and save me! Thank you, Father! I am SO grateful for your love and your salvation.  Thank you also for your patience with me.  Thank you for transforming me into a new creature in you so that these old tapes will no longer control my understanding!
  • Commandments/God's Law - This is another concept that has been so muddied for me!  I've been told I must abide by God's law to be saved - and that this is impossible to fully do!  What a terrible place that leaves me in!  It's no wonder that the idea of loving God's commandments and God's law seems like a challenging concept to me.  It seems strange, but as I think of human laws, I begin to be able to appreciate God's laws better.  When I consider human laws, I understand they are SUPPOSED to be designed for my protection - essentially to protect those in society from others that might try to cause them harm.  With human laws, this principal is not always adhered to, but I can trust God's laws to be truthful and fair!  What a concept.  God's laws are not meant as some onerous statute I can never live up to, but are designed for my protection!!!!  Suddenly studying them ceases to fill me with dread, and instead fills me with HOPE!!!!  Thank you, Father!  Forgive me for my misunderstandings of your character and your love.  Forgive my lack of trust that has caused me to assume poor motivations on your part!  Thank you for your protection of me and your willingness to take the time to give me these guidelines for living!  May I understand these things more and more so that I can fully say with the Psalmist, "I will delight myself in your commandments which I love", and "my hope is based on your regulations"!  Thank you, Father.
  • Going Public - The idea of going public about God's laws and speaking before kings about them feels a bit daunting, but understanding that they are really GOOD NEWS helps banish those fears.  One of the things I think about is that sometimes people can be intimidated by position.  As a child of the Heavenly King, I need not be intimidated by earthly kings or other powerful people to whom I might find myself speaking - their power pales in comparison to that of my Heavenly Father! I am reminded of the promise in Jeremiah, "Be not afraid of their faces: for I am with thee to deliver thee, saith the Lord." (Jeremiah 1:8 KJV), and the one in Mark: "When they take you away to hand you over to the authorities, don't worry ahead of time about what you will say. Instead, say whatever is given to you to say when the time comes. Indeed, you are not the one who will be speaking, but the Holy Spirit will." (Mark 13:11 - from GOD'S WORD Copyright © 1995 by God's Word to the Nations Bible Society. All rights reserved.Thank you, Father!
Father, as I continue to think about Your teachings, Your laws, and Your way of life, I continue to ask for You to guide my thoughts and my understanding.  Thank you for helping me to understand that this is all GOOD NEWS!  Thank you for helping me to remember that I can rely on Your love, and Your many promises.  Thank you for saving me - including from my own old tapes and foolish notions about you!  Thank you for your protective guidance.  I love you, Father!

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is simply a sharing of my "daily bread" - my daily walk with God. If something I've said has touched your heart, or sparked a new thought, I'd love to hear from you.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *