About This Blog

The butterfly picture in the upper left corner is a symbol and reminder for me of the spiritual process. Sometimes I am the caterpillar - barely able to see far enough in front of me to put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes I find myself in that dark place of the soul, and I remind myself that it is simply my cocoon. While all may seem dark, and I may feel like everything is totally disintegrating around me (and in me!) a miracle is at work in my life and I will soon be able to fly! I love those days where I experience the butterfly in my life! The ability to fly above all the mundane earthy matters and remember the truth and experience God's power in tangible ways in my life are wonderful times indeed that occur more and more often as I continue this journey! Thank you, God!

If you are so inclined, I invite you to journey with me as we seek the promised land together. While I hope to share some "faithbooking" (scrapbook pages or artistic journaling about my faith journey), much of the time the journey may well be seen in words, rather than pictures. I invite you to create your own pictures. How do these things play out in your life? I'd love to hear from you about your own spiritual journey!

Friday, June 28, 2013

Walking the Road He Has Set

I am finding that I want to look more closely at Psalms 119 to see what more I can learn about God's teachings.  Though I seldom am given direction for several days at a time, it seems perhaps I have been for now.  Since this Psalm is so long, and since it was so carefully constructed into sections of 8 verses each, it seems right to take it 8 verses at a time - and to do 8 more each day (at least until re-directed).  Here are the first eight:
"You're blessed when you stay on course, walking steadily on the road revealed by God.  You're blessed when you follow his directions, doing your best to find him.  That's right — you don't go off on your own; you walk straight along the road he set. You, God, prescribed the right way to live; now you expect us to live it. Oh, that my steps might be steady, keeping to the course you set; Then I'd never have any regrets in comparing my life with your counsel. I thank you for speaking straight from your heart; I learn the pattern of your righteous ways. I'm going to do what you tell me to do; don't ever walk off and leave me."(Psalms 119:1-8 - from THE MESSAGE: The Bible in Contemporary Language © 2002 by Eugene H. Peterson. All rights reserved.)
Another Bible version replaces the word "blessed" with "happy".  For some reason the word blessed has so many religious overtones (old tapes) associated with it, that I find the word "happy" easier to understand.  And I know this is indeed the truth.  I am happiest when I walk the path God has set for me.  

I see several hints about how best to do this - what I need to do to walk that path:
  • Walk steadily -- don't let unexpected events throw me or turn me from the path God has set - but be open to His direction at the forks in the path.
  • Do my best to find Him and follow His directions.
  • Don't go off on my own!
  • Stay on the path! (walk straight)
I'm reminded of what I posted yesterday about following God's lead, as I think about doing my best to follow Him and not go off on my own.  And I know this is what brings me to "learn the pattern" of His "righteous ways", just as doing my best to follow my dance partner's lead helps me to learn the pattern of HIS ways.  The words come to my mind - "practice makes perfect".  And then the verse: "let patience have its perfect work" or as the Message Bible puts it: 
"So don't try to get out of anything prematurely. Let it do its work so you become mature and well-developed, not deficient in any way." (James 1:4 - from THE MESSAGE: The Bible in Contemporary Language © 2002 by Eugene H. Peterson. All rights reserved.)
Patience is NOT my strong suit.  I have much to learn about being patient.  As my husband and I work to prepare our Foxtrot showcase, I find myself so frustrated at times about how slow we both are at learning new ways of doing things!  I wonder if we will ever learn in time.  

And I'm the same way sometimes in my relationship with God.  I can get so frustrated and discouraged when I realize I've once again missed following His lead.  Patience is required - and the willingness to keep on the path despite any discouragement.  

And I realize something else.  While it can take some time to learn to follow someone else's lead, it is really quite easy to recognize when I'm not doing so.  In my dancing, when I'm able to follow well, things go smoothly.  When I don't, I know right away because we aren't moving together.  There can be bumping into each other, or each of us doing our own thing.  It's very clear when we're not moving together! And the only way to really move together smoothly is for him to lead well and for me to follow well.  

The same is true in my walk (or dance!) with God - except that I never have to worry about Him not leading me well!  As I'm learning to follow God's lead, I might not always recognize the lead or the times when I'm heading out on my own, but the results speak for themselves.  I can tell when we're not moving together smoothly.  I can let that discourage me, or I can let it simply be a reminder to pay more attention to following well.

Father, thank you for leading me so gently and yet firmly.  May I pay better attention to your lead and follow you rather than striking off on my own.  May I practice patience when I see that we aren't dancing together as well as I would wish, remembering that is simply a reminder to pay more attention to your lead.  Thank you so much for the way you teach me with concrete examples that make it so much easier to understand!  You are such a great teacher, Father!  And I DO love to learn.  Thank you for making sure my lessons are just what I need each day - not too hard, not too boring, but just what I need.  I am so grateful, Father!

1 comment:

Esther said...

"I can let that discourage me, or I can let it simply be a reminder to pay more attention to following well." I'm afraid I mostly have let it discourage me. I really appreciate your illustration and I hope I will, in the future, let the fact that things aren't going so smoothly be a reminder to me to pay closer attention to following well rather than letting it discourage me. Thank you!

Post a Comment

This blog is simply a sharing of my "daily bread" - my daily walk with God. If something I've said has touched your heart, or sparked a new thought, I'd love to hear from you.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *