About This Blog

The butterfly picture in the upper left corner is a symbol and reminder for me of the spiritual process. Sometimes I am the caterpillar - barely able to see far enough in front of me to put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes I find myself in that dark place of the soul, and I remind myself that it is simply my cocoon. While all may seem dark, and I may feel like everything is totally disintegrating around me (and in me!) a miracle is at work in my life and I will soon be able to fly! I love those days where I experience the butterfly in my life! The ability to fly above all the mundane earthy matters and remember the truth and experience God's power in tangible ways in my life are wonderful times indeed that occur more and more often as I continue this journey! Thank you, God!

If you are so inclined, I invite you to journey with me as we seek the promised land together. While I hope to share some "faithbooking" (scrapbook pages or artistic journaling about my faith journey), much of the time the journey may well be seen in words, rather than pictures. I invite you to create your own pictures. How do these things play out in your life? I'd love to hear from you about your own spiritual journey!

Thursday, June 27, 2013

Lead Me On!

As I've continued to think about the idea of loving God's teaching, I've been pondering what it really means to let God lead in my life. There are several verses in Psalms that speak of this.  Here is one:
"Lead me by your truth and teach me, for you are the God who saves me. All day long I put my hope in you." (Psalms 25:5 - Holy Bible, New Living Translation ®, copyright © 1996, 2004 by Tyndale Charitable Trust. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers. All rights reserved.)
My husband and I are preparing a foxtrot for an upcoming dance showcase.  To dance a foxtrot well requires me to follow well - something I am still learning to do.  And even though we think of the man as "leading" in a dance, to lead well, he also must follow.  He needs to follow the music.  Both the lead of the music and the lead of a dance partner can be quite subtle at times.  To follow well takes practice paying attention to these subtle leads, and it requires that you stay in the proper dance position or you won't even feel the leads. It also requires that you WAIT for the lead instead of just heading out on your own.  This is something with which I still have some trouble!  As one is learning, it requires that you really pay close attention. As you practice it, however, it begins to become second nature until you can follow effortlessly without even thinking about it.

This is what I want in my experience with God! I want to learn to follow so that it is second nature and happens automatically.  I want to remember to WAIT for His lead instead of heading off on my own.  And I want to pay attention and notice the subtle nudges of guidance. I want to stay in proper position - close to God at all times.

I am once again reminded of a passage from a few days back:
"Commit your way to the Lord; trust in him . . . Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him . . . those who hope in the Lord will inherit the land." (Psalms 37:5-9 - NIV)
I KNOW that God's way is the best, and I want to learn to follow gracefully and automatically. This means I want to pay more attention and to WAIT for his lead. As the Psalmist says:
"Wait for the Lord;  be strong, and let your heart take courage; wait for the Lord!" (Psalms 27:14 ESV)
As I think about waiting for God, I am reminded of that verse about patience:
"But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing." (James 1:4 KJV)
Thank you, Father, for your willingness to lead me.  Thank you for your patience with me as I am learning to follow! May I also be patient as I am learning to follow. Patience, waiting, and following are not things that are automatic for me yet and I am so grateful that you are willing to help me learn!  As I work to learn to follow you gracefully, I remember the truth that your grace is sufficient for me - and I am grateful. Thank you, Father!

1 comment:

Esther said...

Very good post! I, too, need to learn how to truly follow instead of heading out on my own. Thanks for the foxtrot example. Here's a link that also bears this out--but it's more like a "dogtrot" than a foxtrot. Still, it illustrates the point of someone staying close and "following." I want to be like that! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqbVbPvlDoM

Post a Comment

This blog is simply a sharing of my "daily bread" - my daily walk with God. If something I've said has touched your heart, or sparked a new thought, I'd love to hear from you.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *