About This Blog

The butterfly picture in the upper left corner is a symbol and reminder for me of the spiritual process. Sometimes I am the caterpillar - barely able to see far enough in front of me to put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes I find myself in that dark place of the soul, and I remind myself that it is simply my cocoon. While all may seem dark, and I may feel like everything is totally disintegrating around me (and in me!) a miracle is at work in my life and I will soon be able to fly! I love those days where I experience the butterfly in my life! The ability to fly above all the mundane earthy matters and remember the truth and experience God's power in tangible ways in my life are wonderful times indeed that occur more and more often as I continue this journey! Thank you, God!

If you are so inclined, I invite you to journey with me as we seek the promised land together. While I hope to share some "faithbooking" (scrapbook pages or artistic journaling about my faith journey), much of the time the journey may well be seen in words, rather than pictures. I invite you to create your own pictures. How do these things play out in your life? I'd love to hear from you about your own spiritual journey!

Saturday, June 8, 2013

Don't Be Afraid, I Am Here!

Today I re-read the story of Jesus disciples on the sea in a storm:
"That evening Jesus' disciples went down to the shore to wait for him. But as darkness fell and Jesus still hadn't come back, they got into the boat and headed across the lake toward Capernaum. Soon a gale swept down upon them, and the sea grew very rough. They had rowed three or four miles when suddenly they saw Jesus walking on the water toward the boat. They were terrified, but he called out to them, "Don't be afraid. I am here!" Then they were eager to let him in the boat, and immediately they arrived at their destination!" - (John 6:16-21, Holy Bible, New Living Translation ®, copyright © 1996, 2004 by Tyndale Charitable Trust. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers. All rights reserved.)
What wonderful words - "Don't be afraid, I am here!"  How often have I allowed the storms of life to make me afraid? This morning I am reminded that in every storm, God is here, walking on the waves in total control.  All I have to do is welcome Him into my boat and let go of my fears! And the most amazing part is that when I do that, I may find that I immediately arrive at my destination!  Those storms may look like obstacles in my path, but with God in my boat, the storms lose their power to scare me or to hinder me.  Thank you, God!

I am reminded of one of the Indian gods.  I learned from a Sufi I once spoke with, that though many people in India indeed think of their many gods as individuals and pick and choose among them, there are also Indians (including the Sufi I spoke with) who recognize that there is only ONE God.  These recognize the many gods as representations of the many facets of the One. Seen this way, I love the facet of God that is represented by the elephant-headed god Ganesh. Now, I haven't made a study of the many Hindu gods - haven't even studied Ganesh in any depth, but I love the part of God that he shows me from the little I do understand about him.  

Ganesh is seen as the god of Wisdom and Learning.  We know from James (see yesterday's blog) that if any of us lack wisdom, we can ask of God who liberally gives to all - so this is indeed a facet of God.  There is one other aspect to Ganesh, though that I really love - and that explains the elephant headed representation.  Ganesh is the remover of obstacles - like an elephant walking the path before us sweeping his trunk back and forth to clear the path - just as in this story of the disciples in the storm, where God removed the obstacle of the storm and immediately they were at their destination. 

It may be due to years spent in Africa and the times I watched the elephants there, but for some reason, picturing the elephant sweeping his trunk back and forth across the path really helps remind me that God can and will remove obstacles from my path - unless they are there for an important reason.  So, no matter what the obstacle in my path or how frightening the "storm" may seem, I can rest assured that God is walking above it all and will see me safely to my destination.

Father, I am so grateful for your guidance!  Whether it comes in the form of removing obstacles in my path, or of placing them there to ensure I go a different direction, I know I can trust in you. Father, please forgive me for those times when I forget and become afraid.  May I see and recognize you as you walk across those waves to guide me safely to shore!  May I keep my eyes on YOU instead of on the storm! And may I always remember to trust in you.  Thank you, Father!

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is simply a sharing of my "daily bread" - my daily walk with God. If something I've said has touched your heart, or sparked a new thought, I'd love to hear from you.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *