About This Blog

The butterfly picture in the upper left corner is a symbol and reminder for me of the spiritual process. Sometimes I am the caterpillar - barely able to see far enough in front of me to put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes I find myself in that dark place of the soul, and I remind myself that it is simply my cocoon. While all may seem dark, and I may feel like everything is totally disintegrating around me (and in me!) a miracle is at work in my life and I will soon be able to fly! I love those days where I experience the butterfly in my life! The ability to fly above all the mundane earthy matters and remember the truth and experience God's power in tangible ways in my life are wonderful times indeed that occur more and more often as I continue this journey! Thank you, God!

If you are so inclined, I invite you to journey with me as we seek the promised land together. While I hope to share some "faithbooking" (scrapbook pages or artistic journaling about my faith journey), much of the time the journey may well be seen in words, rather than pictures. I invite you to create your own pictures. How do these things play out in your life? I'd love to hear from you about your own spiritual journey!

Monday, June 17, 2013

Trust and Delight

This morning I was reading in Psalms:
"Trust in the Lord and do good. Then you will live safely in the land and prosper. Take delight in the Lord, and he will give you your heart's desires. Commit everything you do to the Lord. Trust him, and he will help you. He will make your innocence radiate like the dawn, and the justice of your cause will shine like the noonday sun. Be still in the presence of the Lord, and wait patiently for him to act. Don't worry about evil people who prosper or fret about their wicked schemes. Stop being angry! Turn from your rage! Do not lose your temper—it only leads to harm.  For the wicked will be destroyed, but those who trust in the Lord will possess the land." (Psalms 37:3-9 Holy Bible, New Living Translation ®, copyright © 1996, 2004 by Tyndale Charitable Trust. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers. All rights reserved.)
I'm remembering words from a song from childhood - "Trust and obey, for there's no other way to be happy in Jesus, but to trust and obey." While the sentiment in that song is undoubtedly true, it is not quite the same as what I see here -- trust and take delight!  Who could not take delight in the face of the amazing promises in these verses?  And yet, how often do we really take delight in the Lord?  How often do we worry and fret instead? I know for myself, it is way too often.  

I love the promises here!
  1. Trust God and do good -- you'll live in safety and prosper.
  2. Take delight in the Lord -- you'll be given your heart's desires!
  3. Commit everything you do to God & trust Him -- he will help you and make your innocence radiate to those around you and the justice of your cause shine like the noonday sun.
  4. Be still in God's presence and wait patiently for Him to act, don't worry or fret, let go of your anger, and trust in God -- you will posses the land.
Over and over, I am reminded to TRUST!  But more than that, I'm encouraged to take delight in my Heavenly Father.  Do I do this?  Over and over in scripture we're reminded to make a joyful noise -- to delight in God.  Can I quit taking life so seriously and just enjoy spending time with my Father? I think of words to another childhood song, "Joy, joy, my heart is full of joy".  This is the way I want to live.

Father, I AM full of joy as I think of the way you have led me and the many, many blessings you've given!  You are an amazing Father. I am so grateful that you chose to adopt me! May I remember to trust in you and to allow your joy to fill me to overflowing.  May I let go of earthly cares and worries and relax into your love.  May I delight myself in you - my whole self so filled with joy that there is no room left for worry or anger or other worthless emotions is my prayer.  Thank you, Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is simply a sharing of my "daily bread" - my daily walk with God. If something I've said has touched your heart, or sparked a new thought, I'd love to hear from you.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *