About This Blog

The butterfly picture in the upper left corner is a symbol and reminder for me of the spiritual process. Sometimes I am the caterpillar - barely able to see far enough in front of me to put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes I find myself in that dark place of the soul, and I remind myself that it is simply my cocoon. While all may seem dark, and I may feel like everything is totally disintegrating around me (and in me!) a miracle is at work in my life and I will soon be able to fly! I love those days where I experience the butterfly in my life! The ability to fly above all the mundane earthy matters and remember the truth and experience God's power in tangible ways in my life are wonderful times indeed that occur more and more often as I continue this journey! Thank you, God!

If you are so inclined, I invite you to journey with me as we seek the promised land together. While I hope to share some "faithbooking" (scrapbook pages or artistic journaling about my faith journey), much of the time the journey may well be seen in words, rather than pictures. I invite you to create your own pictures. How do these things play out in your life? I'd love to hear from you about your own spiritual journey!

Monday, June 24, 2013

Loving God's Words

I've been doing a lot of thinking about the things I wrote about in my last post from Psalms 119:165  
"Those who love your teachings will find true peace, and nothing will defeat them." (NCV)
I've been thinking a lot about loving God's teachings (or God's law, God's commandments, God's words - depending on the Bible version you read).  I've realized that part me really hesitates about the idea of "loving God's words". I don't feel I really do this - despite the fact that I seek God's guidance daily!  There are things in the Bible I just don't feel I understand and it's hard to feel that I "love" those words!  

And then I realize that for the writers of the Psalms, the "Bible" as God's word or law would have been a foreign concept.  They did not have daily access to that!  While they might have appreciated listening to the books of Moses if they were read at some religious gathering, their daily experience of God's word and God's law would have been what was written in their hearts.  It would have been that still small voice speaking to them and telling them "this is the way, walk ye in it."  This indeed is something I LOVE!  I am so grateful to God for His guidance, even though I know I don't love it as fully as I wish I did.  There are times I forget to seek guidance or when I try to argue with God for a bit.  Even still, I can certainly say with truth that I love God's teaching when I look at it this way. 

Father, I am so grateful for your guidance! I am grateful for your patience as a teacher and that you want me to really learn your teachings fully, not just parrot back to you the words I've heard or read.  I'm so grateful that you understand when I ask questions and don't see me as someone trying to challenge your authority, but simply as someone seeking to understand!  Once again this day, Father, I ask that I remember to seek your way in all things, that your will be done on earth as it is in heaven.  Once again I ask for the willingness to let you lead in my life and to follow what I know to be your guidance - whether I understand the reasons or not.

2 comments:

Esther said...

I appreciate your thoughts here. So very true that people back then did not have the written word available on a daily basis. I'm sure those early writers (as well as the common person on the street) also learned much about God from nature. In fact, many of those writers refer to nature in their books and Jesus also used illustrations from nature to teach spiritual truths. I've thought much about the fact that I need to spend more time outdoors--studying the things God has made for my enjoyment.

Cheryl said...

Yes, the "book of nature" is one of the many ways God speaks to us if we are open to hear it. "He that hath an ear, let him hear"! Thanks for that reminder.

Post a Comment

This blog is simply a sharing of my "daily bread" - my daily walk with God. If something I've said has touched your heart, or sparked a new thought, I'd love to hear from you.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *