About This Blog

The butterfly picture in the upper left corner is a symbol and reminder for me of the spiritual process. Sometimes I am the caterpillar - barely able to see far enough in front of me to put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes I find myself in that dark place of the soul, and I remind myself that it is simply my cocoon. While all may seem dark, and I may feel like everything is totally disintegrating around me (and in me!) a miracle is at work in my life and I will soon be able to fly! I love those days where I experience the butterfly in my life! The ability to fly above all the mundane earthy matters and remember the truth and experience God's power in tangible ways in my life are wonderful times indeed that occur more and more often as I continue this journey! Thank you, God!

If you are so inclined, I invite you to journey with me as we seek the promised land together. While I hope to share some "faithbooking" (scrapbook pages or artistic journaling about my faith journey), much of the time the journey may well be seen in words, rather than pictures. I invite you to create your own pictures. How do these things play out in your life? I'd love to hear from you about your own spiritual journey!

Friday, June 14, 2013

Pride

I've been thinking a lot about that verse from Psalms I read a couple of days ago:
"In vain you rise early and stay up late, toiling for food to eat —  for he grants sleep to those he loves." (Psalms 127:2 NIV)
It really reminds me to look to God for direction in my daily tasks.  And I was indeed granted a good night's sleep last night, and I am grateful.  

Today I realized something else.  Part of why I worry so much and work so hard is that I'm afraid I'll fail if I don't, and I don't want to be humiliated.  I think the public "failing" I experienced recently was indeed a blessing on so many levels.  One of them was to keep me humble.  These verses come to mind:
"Pride goes before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall." (Proverbs 16:18 NKJV)
"The high and lofty one who lives in eternity, the Holy One, says this: "I live in the high and holy place with those whose spirits are contrite and humble. I restore the crushed spirit of the humble and revive the courage of those with repentant hearts." (Isaiah 57:15 - Holy Bible, New Living Translation ®, copyright © 1996, 2004 by Tyndale Charitable Trust. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers. All rights reserved.)
I know I was becoming prideful, and I'm grateful that God took steps to wake me up about that!  I want my life to be one of those holy places with a contrite and humble spirit!

The second thing that came from my "failing" was an increase in support from those around me and increased camaraderie!  I am reminded of a quote: 
"It is weakness, not strength, that binds us to each other and to a Higher Power and somehow gives us the ability to do what we cannot do alone."  (Overeater's Anonymous
I am so grateful that when I make a mistake it does not mean that I am no longer of value to anyone like my perfectionism tries to tell me!  I've seen many times how my failings make me more approachable and make it easier for people to relate to me. Sometimes I am meant to be a "vessel for dishonor" (Rom 9:21), and I am learning to trust God even in this.
But indeed, O man, who are you to reply against God? Will the thing formed say to him who formed it, "Why have you made me like this?" Does not the potter have power over the clay, from the same lump to make one vessel for honor and another for dishonor?   (Romans 9:20-21 NKJV)
And so far as my new endeavors go, I am taking this verse from Proverbs as my watchword for today:
"Whoever listens to what is taught will succeed, and whoever trusts the Lord will be happy." (Proverbs 16:20 - NCV)
Thank you, Father, for giving me sleep, and that your yoke is indeed easy!  Thank you for protecting me from my tendencies toward pride! Thank you for reminding me to look to you in all things, and for this promise of success and happiness as I trust you and seek to remain humble and teachable.  May I always do so, Father! Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is simply a sharing of my "daily bread" - my daily walk with God. If something I've said has touched your heart, or sparked a new thought, I'd love to hear from you.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *