About This Blog

The butterfly picture in the upper left corner is a symbol and reminder for me of the spiritual process. Sometimes I am the caterpillar - barely able to see far enough in front of me to put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes I find myself in that dark place of the soul, and I remind myself that it is simply my cocoon. While all may seem dark, and I may feel like everything is totally disintegrating around me (and in me!) a miracle is at work in my life and I will soon be able to fly! I love those days where I experience the butterfly in my life! The ability to fly above all the mundane earthy matters and remember the truth and experience God's power in tangible ways in my life are wonderful times indeed that occur more and more often as I continue this journey! Thank you, God!

If you are so inclined, I invite you to journey with me as we seek the promised land together. While I hope to share some "faithbooking" (scrapbook pages or artistic journaling about my faith journey), much of the time the journey may well be seen in words, rather than pictures. I invite you to create your own pictures. How do these things play out in your life? I'd love to hear from you about your own spiritual journey!

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Walking in the Light

Today I'm reading in I John 2.  Verses 8 and 9 have more to say about light and darkness.  John says, "I am writing you a new commandment which is true in Him and in you, because the darkness is clearing away and the true Light is already shining.  Whoever says he is in the Light and hates his brother is in darkness even until now." And again in verse 11 he says, "But he who hates his brother is in darkness and walking in the dark; he is straying and does not perceive or know where he is going, because the darkness has blinded his eyes."

So, if one of the ways we can interpret darkness and light is depression or lack thereof, hating someone can be a cause of depression.  Certainly holding onto hate will block the flow of love - which will also cut us off from feeling God's love for us.  I can see how this could exacerbate or lead to depression!  And I am grateful for the promise that the darkness is clearing away and the true Light is already shining!

These verses also speak to me of a different form of lightness and darkness - that of "seeing" or understanding.  So this is also talking about our understanding of God. Darkness is misunderstanding God and walking in the light is walking with increased understanding of Him.  To me, this still relates to depression because if we misunderstand God, we may think of Him as one who is some sort of petty tyrant watching to catch us misbehaving.  How depressing if this is really what we think of God!  Regardless, this passage reminds us that if we think we understand God, but hate someone, it is clear we do not understand Him or follow His teachings - because God IS love. (I John 4:8) 

I am so grateful for God's love, and think back to the verses from a few days ago about perfect or full maturity of love (I John 4:18).  Father, please perfect your love in me! There are still times when I am motivated by selfishness and self seeking. Please release me from these bonds of selfishness and fill me with your Spirit of Love that I may truly love my brothers and sisters (which are all those around me since you are the Father of all of us).  Thank you, Father for the work you have begun in me and the promise that you will see it to completion.  Father, are there those that I am still not loving fully? Am I still allowing fear or misunderstandings to block the flow of your love in me? Father, please cleanse me that I may be a clear channel for your love.  I am so grateful for your love - for me, and IN me!  May all those with whom I come in contact feel your love through me. Amen.

4 comments:

Esther said...

"And I am grateful for the promise that the darkness is clearing away and the true Light is already shining!" This so goes along with what I was seeing from your prior post.

God allows us to go through these dark times for a reason, just as He allowed Christ to go through that dark time on the cross. After the darkness, the light is so much more dazzling and brilliant!

And if we can remember that he NEVER leaves us, but is drawing even more closer to us during those times when we need him most, perhaps we can avoid the pitfall of allowing the darkness to lead us into depression. Perhaps?

I am so loving walking with you on this journey! So glad you told me about your blog. Since it's in cyberspace, you wouldn't mind if I shared it on my FaceBook page would you???

Cheryl said...

Ah, I hear you pointing out that darkness does not necessarily equal depression. Good point! We CAN walk through the valley of the shadow of death and fear no evil.

When it is time to sleep, darkness may bring thoughts of the "boogeyman" and fear, OR it can allow us to get a good night's rest. The difference is TRUST. If only we could remember that during times of darkness, we're being invited to REST in God!

Cheryl said...

Regarding posting on Facebook, I have mixed feelings. I certainly have no problem with your sharing about my blog with individuals if guided to do so. I am less sure about a general broadcast on venues like Facebook. I often think of the admonition about not casting pearls before swine (Matt. 7:6). While many Facebook readers don't fall into that category, some may. I guess this is something for prayerful consideration.

Cheryl said...

Of course, there's also the verse that says "Cast thy bread upon the waters" - which is what this blog is all about. So, when sharing about this blog, I just ask that it be done in prayerful consideration.

Post a Comment

This blog is simply a sharing of my "daily bread" - my daily walk with God. If something I've said has touched your heart, or sparked a new thought, I'd love to hear from you.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *