About This Blog

The butterfly picture in the upper left corner is a symbol and reminder for me of the spiritual process. Sometimes I am the caterpillar - barely able to see far enough in front of me to put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes I find myself in that dark place of the soul, and I remind myself that it is simply my cocoon. While all may seem dark, and I may feel like everything is totally disintegrating around me (and in me!) a miracle is at work in my life and I will soon be able to fly! I love those days where I experience the butterfly in my life! The ability to fly above all the mundane earthy matters and remember the truth and experience God's power in tangible ways in my life are wonderful times indeed that occur more and more often as I continue this journey! Thank you, God!

If you are so inclined, I invite you to journey with me as we seek the promised land together. While I hope to share some "faithbooking" (scrapbook pages or artistic journaling about my faith journey), much of the time the journey may well be seen in words, rather than pictures. I invite you to create your own pictures. How do these things play out in your life? I'd love to hear from you about your own spiritual journey!

Sunday, January 20, 2013

Happiness is . . .

Today I've been reading Jesus' prescription for happiness from Matthew chapter 5.  The prescription is in several parts - I only looked at the first few of them today.  Many of us have heard these so often that the words just kind of slide past us, so I'll be paraphrasing some of them:
  •  Verse 3 - "Happy are the humble."  Too often I've rushed through this verse and focused my eye on the idea of inheriting the kingdom of heaven.  But today, realizing that Jesus was giving us a prescription for happiness, I paused and thought about this first portion of the verse.  I've been learning more about humility in recent years.  It's still not something that comes easily to me, but I'm getting better at it. I remember more often to let go of my pride and be open and teachable. This is really what I think humility is all about.  It is not about being humiliated, as some of us have thought. It is about realizing that we don't know everything, and being willing to be open to the ideas of others and acknowledging that they might be right.  I can say from experience, that when I choose to relate in this way, I AM much happier!
  • Verse 4 - "Happy (even enviably so!) are those who mourn!"  This at first glance seems to be total gibberish.  How can you be happy when you're sad?????  But this morning, I realized at least two ways in which this works.  The first might be paraphrased, "Happy are you when you are open instead of trying to protect yourself from being hurt."  Too often in trying to protect myself from being hurt, I've cut myself off from people and experiences that could have brought me so much joy!  This verse suggests that self-protection is self-defeating and promises that if I AM hurt, I will be comforted.  This is a wonderful reminder for me right now as there is someone in my life that I am very tempted to go into self-protective mode around.  She has hurt me deeply several times in the past, and even though she's acting more open and caring now, I've seen in myself the fear of fully opening my heart to her because I might be hurt again.  This passage reminds me to continue to be an open channel of God's love, telling me that this is the path of happiness.   The second way of understanding this passage could be paraphrased, "Happy are those who are willing to feel their feelings."  I have seen that indeed, if I am trying to run away from painful feelings, they just stay there nagging at me. I can never seem to completely leave them behind.  But if I face them, feel them, and let God teach me through them - actively seeking His lessons for me, the pain is indeed lifted and I am not only comforted, but happy - despite any traumas I may be facing in my life!
  • Verse 5 - "Happy are the patient and long-suffering."  Here's another one that I really needed to be reminded of today.  I can get really tired of being patient and long-suffering in my dealings with certain people!  God reminds me that continuing to give the soft answer brings the results I want.  It doesn't mean I have to be a door-mat, but I will not be happy if I move into angry confrontation.  If happiness is what I seek, I need to continue to allow God's love to flow through me.  The promise of inheriting the earth here, to me means that the results will be seen in the physical world.  We are not a particularly patient culture - and because of that we too often miss out on the very things we seek.  I think of my marriage.  My husband and I went through a rather difficult time at one point in our marriage - many years ago now.  It would have been so easy to give up and seek a divorce at that time!  I am so glad that we were both willing to be "long-suffering" (and yes, there certainly WAS some suffering involved!), to be patient enough to work through our difficulties. We would have missed out on so much happiness if we had given in to impatience and given up on our marriage!
I am so grateful for these prescriptions!  I needed to be reminded of some of them today.   Thank you, Father, for your continued guidance in my life.  I am so grateful for the way you spiritually feed me daily!

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is simply a sharing of my "daily bread" - my daily walk with God. If something I've said has touched your heart, or sparked a new thought, I'd love to hear from you.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *