About This Blog

The butterfly picture in the upper left corner is a symbol and reminder for me of the spiritual process. Sometimes I am the caterpillar - barely able to see far enough in front of me to put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes I find myself in that dark place of the soul, and I remind myself that it is simply my cocoon. While all may seem dark, and I may feel like everything is totally disintegrating around me (and in me!) a miracle is at work in my life and I will soon be able to fly! I love those days where I experience the butterfly in my life! The ability to fly above all the mundane earthy matters and remember the truth and experience God's power in tangible ways in my life are wonderful times indeed that occur more and more often as I continue this journey! Thank you, God!

If you are so inclined, I invite you to journey with me as we seek the promised land together. While I hope to share some "faithbooking" (scrapbook pages or artistic journaling about my faith journey), much of the time the journey may well be seen in words, rather than pictures. I invite you to create your own pictures. How do these things play out in your life? I'd love to hear from you about your own spiritual journey!

Monday, January 14, 2013

Utterly Destroy All

This morning I was reading in I Samuel 15.  This is one of those passages I have avoided in the past because I don't deal well with bloodshed and this one seemed so bloodthirsty.  It has been difficult for me to reconcile the loving God that I know insisting that someone commit genocide!  Not knowing how to deal with such a concept, I've had to simply put these types of stories on the shelf in the back of my mind, asking for understanding, and trusting God's superior wisdom until such understanding is given. Today I finally got an inkling of understanding.

First though, I want to contrast this story about King Saul with that of yesterday's story about King David.  Yesterday I talked about David's honest repentance, his willingness to humble himself before others, and the way he acknowledged that God was right and just.  This story is MUCH different. Saul was more like the types of politicians I've seen most often.  First he claimed to have done everything as God had asked.  When it became clear that Samuel knew that instead of destroying everything and everyone as God had directed, he had saved the king and the best of the spoils, Saul blamed those around him and tried a bit of bribery (saying that the best of the spoils, instead of being destroyed, had been brought to sacrifice to God - of course the priests would profit from that).  Only when threatened with the loss of his position as king did he admit his fault - but he STILL cast blame, blaming his fear of the people! The contrast of these two stories teach a valuable lesson in the importance of humility and honesty.  David did not cast blame.  He admitted his guilt, took his punishment like a man, and begged God for forgiveness and cleansing.  When caught in a mistake, how do I react????  Am I more like Saul, or more like David?

But back to the bloodthirsty nature of this story.  If I read this simply as a historical story, it is pretty horrifying and portrays God so much differently than I've come to understand Him that it is hard to deal with.  But this morning I suddenly realized this story is about ME! It is a story about the importance of being thorough when following God's direction. Verse 9 in the Amplified Bible says, "Saul and the people spared Agag and the best of the sheep, oxen, fatlings, lambs, and all that was good, and would not utterly destroy them; but all that was undesirable or worthless they destroyed utterly."  When God asks me to do something in my life, how thorough am I?  When I am asked to destroy a way of behaving that is not in alignment with his will, how thorough am I? Unfortunately, it is far too easy for me to talk myself into just destroying that which I don't care about, but holding tight to one or two things I particularly desire.  Am I only willing to let go of those things which appear undesirable or worthless?  What is God calling me to utterly destroy today?  A habit of eating things that are not good for me? A continuation of selfish behaviors here and there? A willingness to put my own desires not only above that of others, but above that of God Himself?  Clearly when it comes to behaviors that are out of alignment with God's will, only complete "genocide" will bring the results I seek.

Father, once again I seek your cleansing at depth. May I be willing to live completely by your will, completely letting go of and destroying those things you wish to see destroyed in me.  May I be willing to own up to my failings and seek your forgiveness, cleansing, and strength, instead of making excuses. I ask that as you have begun this work in me, you will see it to completion as promised (Phil 1:6). Thank you, Father!

1 comment:

Esther said...

Great post! Your prayer is my prayer, too. We are in this sin problem together.

Post a Comment

This blog is simply a sharing of my "daily bread" - my daily walk with God. If something I've said has touched your heart, or sparked a new thought, I'd love to hear from you.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *