About This Blog

The butterfly picture in the upper left corner is a symbol and reminder for me of the spiritual process. Sometimes I am the caterpillar - barely able to see far enough in front of me to put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes I find myself in that dark place of the soul, and I remind myself that it is simply my cocoon. While all may seem dark, and I may feel like everything is totally disintegrating around me (and in me!) a miracle is at work in my life and I will soon be able to fly! I love those days where I experience the butterfly in my life! The ability to fly above all the mundane earthy matters and remember the truth and experience God's power in tangible ways in my life are wonderful times indeed that occur more and more often as I continue this journey! Thank you, God!

If you are so inclined, I invite you to journey with me as we seek the promised land together. While I hope to share some "faithbooking" (scrapbook pages or artistic journaling about my faith journey), much of the time the journey may well be seen in words, rather than pictures. I invite you to create your own pictures. How do these things play out in your life? I'd love to hear from you about your own spiritual journey!

Friday, January 18, 2013

A Surprise Move

I am reminded today about a fictional story I read about a man who was a master chess player who had a wife he loved very much.  In the story, the Russian mob got to him and threatened his wife's life if he didn't throw the next big match to the Russian player by making a specific move that would create a situation where he could not win.  They demonstrated the seriousness of their intent with a variety of ploys to show that they could get to his wife whenever they wanted to - regardless of the security he employed.

This man spent days, weeks, months, working out scenarios in his head until he finally came up with a way to win the supposedly unwinable game.  He would make the move he'd been told to make, but would STILL win!

This is something like what today's reading in Ephesians sounds like. Paul is talking about how the "Gentiles are now to be heirs with the Jews, members of the same body and joint partakers sharing in the same divine promise in Christ through their acceptance of the glad tidings" (verse 6).  He speaks of it as "the mystery kept hidden through the ages and concealed until now in the mind of God Who created all things by Christ Jesus" (verse 9). He goes on to explain its purpose: "that through the church the complicated, many-sided wisdom of God in all its infinite variety and innumerable aspects might now be made known to the angelic rulers and authorities in the heavenly sphere" (verse 10). 

This sounds like the same kind of end run described in the fictional account of the chess player that I mentioned earlier.  God's seeming focus on only the Israelites (one with several notable exceptions), apparently caught even those in the heavenly realm by surprise as he unfolded this amazing plan to save ALL who would accept the "glad tidings" - not just the Jews.  What an amazing and wonderful thing!

This once again reminds me to trust God in my life in ALL things.  No matter how convoluted the path on which I am led, or how many times I fall from it, He has a plan!  It is amazing and beautiful and its purpose goes far beyond anything I can imagine.

Verse 20 expands on this as Paul says, "Now to Him Who, by the action of His power that is at work within us, us able to carry out His purpose and do superabundantly, far over and above all that we dare ask or think [infinitely beyond our highest prayers, desires, thoughts, hopes, or dreams] - to Him be glory . . ."

Father, you are so amazing!  You are so powerful and able and your plans are so perfect!  Thank you for working your plans in my life!  It is clear that any requests I may have are already known to you and your plan is FAR better than I could possibly dream up.  So Father, I once again simply ask that your will be done in my life - that you continue the work you have begun in me (Phil 1:6) and continue to work in me both to will and to do your good pleasure (Phil 2:13).  Thank you so much for your plan as demonstrated and executed by Jesus!  Thank you for not being willing to leave us to die in our sins, but instead planning this amazing way of escape!

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is simply a sharing of my "daily bread" - my daily walk with God. If something I've said has touched your heart, or sparked a new thought, I'd love to hear from you.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *