About This Blog

The butterfly picture in the upper left corner is a symbol and reminder for me of the spiritual process. Sometimes I am the caterpillar - barely able to see far enough in front of me to put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes I find myself in that dark place of the soul, and I remind myself that it is simply my cocoon. While all may seem dark, and I may feel like everything is totally disintegrating around me (and in me!) a miracle is at work in my life and I will soon be able to fly! I love those days where I experience the butterfly in my life! The ability to fly above all the mundane earthy matters and remember the truth and experience God's power in tangible ways in my life are wonderful times indeed that occur more and more often as I continue this journey! Thank you, God!

If you are so inclined, I invite you to journey with me as we seek the promised land together. While I hope to share some "faithbooking" (scrapbook pages or artistic journaling about my faith journey), much of the time the journey may well be seen in words, rather than pictures. I invite you to create your own pictures. How do these things play out in your life? I'd love to hear from you about your own spiritual journey!

Saturday, April 20, 2013

Looking Back

This morning, I was reading from Luke when this passage stood out to me -
Jesus said to another man, "Follow me!" But he said, "Lord, first let me go and bury my father." But Jesus said to him, "Let the people who are dead bury their own dead. You must go and tell about the kingdom of God." Another man said, "I will follow you, Lord, but first let me go and say good-bye to my family." Jesus said, "Anyone who begins to plow a field but keeps looking back is of no use in the kingdom of God." (Luke 9:59-62 NCV)
That last sentence just jumped out at me.  "Anyone who begins to plow a field but keeps looking back is of no use in the kingdom of God."  Of course if you're plowing a field and not watching where you're going, you're likely to create all sorts of a mess.  How foolish!  And yet, I realize I've often done the same thing.  Instead of having my mind fully focused on the task ahead of me, I've been thinking about other things.   

Sometimes this happens because the task ahead of me is something I'm afraid of and I keep thinking about things I'd rather do.  Sometimes it's simply selfishness rearing it's ugly head telling me that the task ahead isn't much fun and it would be so much more fun to do . . . .whatever. Sometimes it's because something traumatic has occurred and I can't seem to put it out of my mind, and sometimes it's about looking to see who is watching.

No matter the reason, for me prayer is the answer.  In the first case, my prayer is that God's perfect love cast out my fear.  The second and fourth call for a prayer that selfishness and self-seeking to be removed and a right spirit put within - that I be willing and eager for God's will to be done.  The third calls for a reminder that God does all things well and I can trust him with my life and the lives of those I care about.  No matter what it is that is blocking my way from accomplishing my tasks, God is the answer.

Thank you, Father, for being my answer today!  I praise you for being a God of miracles - not just out there or just for others, but in my own heart! May I be so filled with your love and with a desire to see your will done, that I keep my mind firmly set on you and the tasks you have set before me for this day!  Thank you, Father!

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is simply a sharing of my "daily bread" - my daily walk with God. If something I've said has touched your heart, or sparked a new thought, I'd love to hear from you.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *