About This Blog

The butterfly picture in the upper left corner is a symbol and reminder for me of the spiritual process. Sometimes I am the caterpillar - barely able to see far enough in front of me to put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes I find myself in that dark place of the soul, and I remind myself that it is simply my cocoon. While all may seem dark, and I may feel like everything is totally disintegrating around me (and in me!) a miracle is at work in my life and I will soon be able to fly! I love those days where I experience the butterfly in my life! The ability to fly above all the mundane earthy matters and remember the truth and experience God's power in tangible ways in my life are wonderful times indeed that occur more and more often as I continue this journey! Thank you, God!

If you are so inclined, I invite you to journey with me as we seek the promised land together. While I hope to share some "faithbooking" (scrapbook pages or artistic journaling about my faith journey), much of the time the journey may well be seen in words, rather than pictures. I invite you to create your own pictures. How do these things play out in your life? I'd love to hear from you about your own spiritual journey!

Friday, April 5, 2013

Microscopes

Today I've been thinking about microscopes.  I remember a biology class I took that required their use.  It took some time for me to learn to use them so I could see what the teacher wanted me to see.  At first I had real trouble figuring out what to focus in on. I would zoom in on something and get it in focus so I could see it clearly - but find it didn't look like what the teacher described at all.  I had focused in on the wrong thing!  In fact, in the beginning, the only way that worked was for my teacher to come over, set the sample up just right, and get it all focused before having me look through the microscope to see it.  I was so grateful he was willing to do that!  After he did this for awhile and I had the experience of seeing what he was talking about, it became easier for me to understand what I needed to focus in on and began to be able to do it myself.

I've been realizing that this is what I'm needing in my life.  I need God to adjust the microscope for me.  It is so easy for me to focus in on the wrong thing - things people have done that hurt me or my own faults, for example - even my own plans instead of seeking His.  How much better my life runs when I am focused on God instead!  

I am reminded of a verse from Philippians - chapter 4 verse 8: "And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise." (New Living Translation)  Are these the things I think about?  When I look at those around me, do I see them the way God does? Or have I focused in on the wrong things?  Whatever is true, honorable, right, pure, lovely, admirable - am I looking for these things in those I interact with, or am I looking at the things they do wrong - or even MIGHT do wrong? 

As I think about this I realize that when I look for what others do wrong or might do wrong, I move into fear.  They might hurt me in some way!  When this happens, I have clearly missed the mark.  I'm off the path I should be traveling. I'm in fear. I am reminded that perfect love casts out fear, and I realize once again how much I need God's love flowing through my life.  And today it starts here.  Whatever is true, honorable, right, pure, lovely, admirable - wherever I can find something excellent and worthy of praise - this is that on which I am to focus my attention.

Thank you, Father, for once again feeding my soul this morning.  Please adjust my microscope!  May I focus my attention on the positive and trust you to protect me rather than spending my energy trying to protect myself. Father, you've said we are to be wise as serpents and harmless as doves.  How do I do this?  What is the difference between focusing my attention correctly and allowing folks to take advantage of me? As I think about these things, I realize that once again the question is, "Where is the focus of my attention?" Or, to put it another way: "Who do I trust?"  I don't have to trust those who have proven themselves untrustworthy in order to focus on the positives about them.  My trust is to be in YOU not in them!  How foolish of me to assume that seeking to see the good in those around me means I must also put my trust in them.  YOU are the one I am to put my trust in.  Not myself, not those around me - YOU!  Thank you, Father, for this clarity.  Beginning today, right now, may my trust be in you, and my focus on the good you have created all around me - including in each person with whom I come in contact.  Thank you, Father!

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is simply a sharing of my "daily bread" - my daily walk with God. If something I've said has touched your heart, or sparked a new thought, I'd love to hear from you.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *