About This Blog

The butterfly picture in the upper left corner is a symbol and reminder for me of the spiritual process. Sometimes I am the caterpillar - barely able to see far enough in front of me to put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes I find myself in that dark place of the soul, and I remind myself that it is simply my cocoon. While all may seem dark, and I may feel like everything is totally disintegrating around me (and in me!) a miracle is at work in my life and I will soon be able to fly! I love those days where I experience the butterfly in my life! The ability to fly above all the mundane earthy matters and remember the truth and experience God's power in tangible ways in my life are wonderful times indeed that occur more and more often as I continue this journey! Thank you, God!

If you are so inclined, I invite you to journey with me as we seek the promised land together. While I hope to share some "faithbooking" (scrapbook pages or artistic journaling about my faith journey), much of the time the journey may well be seen in words, rather than pictures. I invite you to create your own pictures. How do these things play out in your life? I'd love to hear from you about your own spiritual journey!

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Inspiration

Do I feel inspired?  What inspires me?  This morning when I called to wish my mother a happy birthday, she said she was sending me a YouTube link that she wanted me to watch "with" her while she was on the phone with me (so she could hear my reaction).  What an inspiring video!  It was of a 94-year-old woman dancing the QuickStep.  Though she clearly wasn't as spry as she once was, it certainly inspired me.  I want to be as spry as she is when I'm 94!

Hmmmm, next to come into my mind is the more IMPORTANT QUESTION.  What am I going to do about it?  One doesn't just sit around eating bon bons all day (whatever they are! :) ) and manage to dance like that at age 94.  It takes a lot of practice - and continuing practice as you age.  Clearly, if I am to let this inspiration do it's work in me, I have to DO SOMETHING about it.  I have to care for my body, and I have to continue to do things that keep me limber and spry throughout my life.  That is much easier than trying to undo years of neglect when I am in my 90's!  

I think of a verse that often comes to mind: "Don't you realize that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, who lives in you and was given to you by God? You do not belong to yourself, for God bought you with a high price. So you must honor God with your body." (1 Cor 6:19-20 - New Living Translation).  While this message is given in the context of abstaining from sins of a sexual nature, it has always spoken to me on a far wider level.  My body is the temple of God!  If I REALLY understood that, how would I treat it? Would I mis-use it? Would I abuse it by eating too much food and making it carry more weight than it was designed to do? Would I fill it with junk, or would I bring only beautiful, healthy, God-given things inside it?  

If I know I'll be having visitors to my home, I'll often spend some extra time cleaning and straightening - perhaps bringing in some flowers for added beauty. And I try to keep things somewhat straight downstairs in case the unexpected visitor drops by.  If I really understand and accept the idea of my body being the temple of the Holy Spirit and want His presence within me, wouldn't I go even farther still?  Wouldn't I take meticulous care to keep it up and maintain it and create as peaceful and comfortable a dwelling for the Spirit as I can?  So why am I not always doing so?

Father, thank you for the way you find so many ways to inspire me!  May this inspiration not be lost, but may it continue to inspire me to actually DO what needs to be done to create the best possible dwelling for your Spirit!  Thank you for your willingness to stay in my "home" even when it is not as hospitable a place as it can be. May I accept your guidance and be willing to make healthy and "hospitable" choices starting this very day.  Thank you, Father!

1 comment:

Esther said...

Thank you for the reminder. Yes, I am quite sure that when I really come to fathom that the spirit of God does indeed inhabit my being, I will be desperate to get rid of all the "body clutter."

Post a Comment

This blog is simply a sharing of my "daily bread" - my daily walk with God. If something I've said has touched your heart, or sparked a new thought, I'd love to hear from you.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *