About This Blog

The butterfly picture in the upper left corner is a symbol and reminder for me of the spiritual process. Sometimes I am the caterpillar - barely able to see far enough in front of me to put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes I find myself in that dark place of the soul, and I remind myself that it is simply my cocoon. While all may seem dark, and I may feel like everything is totally disintegrating around me (and in me!) a miracle is at work in my life and I will soon be able to fly! I love those days where I experience the butterfly in my life! The ability to fly above all the mundane earthy matters and remember the truth and experience God's power in tangible ways in my life are wonderful times indeed that occur more and more often as I continue this journey! Thank you, God!

If you are so inclined, I invite you to journey with me as we seek the promised land together. While I hope to share some "faithbooking" (scrapbook pages or artistic journaling about my faith journey), much of the time the journey may well be seen in words, rather than pictures. I invite you to create your own pictures. How do these things play out in your life? I'd love to hear from you about your own spiritual journey!

Thursday, April 4, 2013

Dandilions

I remember as a child being thrilled with dandelions.  I loved these flowers after the bloom was gone and they were full of fluffy seed-carrying fibers.  I loved picking then, blowing on them, and watching all the fluffy bits scatter through the air.  At the time I didn't think about the seeds and what I was planting, I just loved watching all those whispy things floating through the air.

As an adult, I've thought a lot more about the lessons in nature and what nature demonstrates about the Creator.  One of the things dandelions serve as an example of is "abundance".  God is NOT a skinflint or a hoarder!  In Luke we're told God will give to us "good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over." (chapter 6 verse 38).  I see this abundance repeated over and over in nature.  It takes only one sperm to fertilize an egg, yet thousands are released at a time.  While a single flower is a marvel of nature, God scatters millions across the earth - many of which are never even seen by human eyes!  And while some of these produce food or medicine, many appear to simply be there to increase the beauty. 

And then I remember the passage in Matthew about the lilies of the field - or as The Message Bible says, the wildflowers.  This is how The Message Bible puts it -
"If you decide for God, living a life of God-worship, it follows that you don't fuss about what's on the table at mealtimes or whether the clothes in your closet are in fashion. There is far more to your life than the food you put in your stomach, more to your outer appearance than the clothes you hang on your body. Look at the birds, free and unfettered, not tied down to a job description, careless in the care of God. And you count far more to him than birds.
Has anyone by fussing in front of the mirror ever gotten taller by so much as an inch? All this time and money wasted on fashion — do you think it makes that much difference? Instead of looking at the fashions, walk out into the fields and look at the wildflowers. They never primp or shop, but have you ever seen color and design quite like it? The ten best-dressed men and women in the country look shabby alongside them. If God gives such attention to the appearance of wildflowers — most of which are never even seen — don't you think he'll attend to you, take pride in you, do his best for you?
What I'm trying to do here is to get you to relax, to not be so preoccupied with getting, so you can respond to God's giving. People who don't know God and the way he works fuss over these things, but you know both God and how he works. Steep your life in God-reality, God-initiative, God-provisions. Don't worry about missing out. You'll find all your everyday human concerns will be met. Give your entire attention to what God is doing right now, and don't get worked up about what may or may not happen tomorrow. God will help you deal with whatever hard things come up when the time comes." - Matt 6:25-34 The Message
Am I relaxed? preoccupied with getting? responding fully to God's giving? Do I give my entire attention to what God is doing right now or do I still get worked up about what my or may not happen tomorrow?  What good questions!

Father, thank you so much for what you are doing right now in me and through me.  As I see myself spending more time with you and thinking about what you are doing, I find that indeed my preoccupation with food and getting things is diminishing. Father thank you for your many blessings in my life!  I so enjoy being able to share them with others - whether material or spiritual in nature!  Thank you once again for my daily bread.  May I continue to learn from it throughout the day.  May I begin to experience the fullness of the life you intend for me as I learn to give more and more of my attention to what You are doing right now.  Thank you, Father! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is simply a sharing of my "daily bread" - my daily walk with God. If something I've said has touched your heart, or sparked a new thought, I'd love to hear from you.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *