About This Blog

The butterfly picture in the upper left corner is a symbol and reminder for me of the spiritual process. Sometimes I am the caterpillar - barely able to see far enough in front of me to put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes I find myself in that dark place of the soul, and I remind myself that it is simply my cocoon. While all may seem dark, and I may feel like everything is totally disintegrating around me (and in me!) a miracle is at work in my life and I will soon be able to fly! I love those days where I experience the butterfly in my life! The ability to fly above all the mundane earthy matters and remember the truth and experience God's power in tangible ways in my life are wonderful times indeed that occur more and more often as I continue this journey! Thank you, God!

If you are so inclined, I invite you to journey with me as we seek the promised land together. While I hope to share some "faithbooking" (scrapbook pages or artistic journaling about my faith journey), much of the time the journey may well be seen in words, rather than pictures. I invite you to create your own pictures. How do these things play out in your life? I'd love to hear from you about your own spiritual journey!

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Names

This morning I again returned to Matthew chapter 6 and Jesus' discussion of how to pray.  In his example prayer, the first thing he says is, "Our Father Who is in heaven, hallowed (kept holy) be Your name." (verse 9)  I found myself once again asking a question I've often wondered about.  What does it mean?????  "Hallowed be Your name" is not the sort of language I hear everyday. It's not a common phrase that I readily understand. As I was asking this question this morning, another verse came to mind - this one from Exodus 20:7 - "Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain." I've always been told this means I shouldn't swear using God's name - but I had a feeling there might be more to it than that. I decided to see what I could understand by looking up the word "name" in the Bible.  

I quickly discovered that there are FAR too many references to read them all in one day, but as I glanced through some of them, I started to understand something I hadn't understood before in relation to this topic.  At least part of this is about REPUTATION.  I came across verses that talked about someone doing mighty deeds so he had "a name among three" (I Chronicles 11:20), and one whose deeds made "his name spread" (II Chronicles 26:8), and even one who would be forgotten and "have no name in the street" (Job 18:17).  And I begin to better understand those verses that talk about fearing God's name.  I see that at least in part it includes recognizing God's power and being afraid if you decide to fight Him since you know He is stronger!  

And then I think about II Chronicles 7:14 - "If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land."  If I am God's child, I am called by His name.  Thus, my actions are not mine alone. His reputation is at stake!  What a huge responsibility!  I am so grateful that He is willing to be my Father, but am I willing to behave as a child of the King should behave?

Yes, Father, I do indeed pray with Jesus, "Hallowed be thy name!"  Only you can work in me to cleanse me and keep me on the right path that I might not sin against you and tarnish your name. I am once again grateful for the promise that you will continue the work you have started in me.  Father it is so easy for me to move into selfishness and try to take my will back, but I don't want to!  Please work within me to both WILL and DO of your good pleasure.  May your will be done in me always! Thank you, Father, for the progress I am seeing.  It feels so good to wake with thoughts of you!  And yet I've seen how quickly and easily I can forget to seek Your will in all things. May that forgetfulness not be a part of my experience this day, Father.  May I seek and do YOUR will.  May each person I interact with today be blessed because they feel your love through me.  Thank you, Father, for being so willing to take my hard heart and make it Yours.  Please keep my eyes on you this day.  Amen.

1 comment:

Esther said...

One thing that came to my mind as I read what you have written--do I call myself a Christian? Am I really a follower of Christ or have I taken his name "in vain"? I think that's basically what you've written but with a slightly different twist. So many atrocities have been committed down through the years "in the name" of Christianity, but did Christ have anything to do with them?

Post a Comment

This blog is simply a sharing of my "daily bread" - my daily walk with God. If something I've said has touched your heart, or sparked a new thought, I'd love to hear from you.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *