About This Blog

The butterfly picture in the upper left corner is a symbol and reminder for me of the spiritual process. Sometimes I am the caterpillar - barely able to see far enough in front of me to put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes I find myself in that dark place of the soul, and I remind myself that it is simply my cocoon. While all may seem dark, and I may feel like everything is totally disintegrating around me (and in me!) a miracle is at work in my life and I will soon be able to fly! I love those days where I experience the butterfly in my life! The ability to fly above all the mundane earthy matters and remember the truth and experience God's power in tangible ways in my life are wonderful times indeed that occur more and more often as I continue this journey! Thank you, God!

If you are so inclined, I invite you to journey with me as we seek the promised land together. While I hope to share some "faithbooking" (scrapbook pages or artistic journaling about my faith journey), much of the time the journey may well be seen in words, rather than pictures. I invite you to create your own pictures. How do these things play out in your life? I'd love to hear from you about your own spiritual journey!

Sunday, April 14, 2013

Food

This morning I return to one of the stories I read yesterday - the story of the woman at the well found in John chapter 4.  I am particularly drawn again to verses 31-34 - "Meanwhile, the disciples urged Him saying, Rabbi, eat something.  But He assured them, I have food (nourishment) to eat of which you know nothing and have no idea.  So the disciples said to one another, Has someone brought Him something to eat?  Jesus said to them, My food (nourishment) is to do the will (pleasure) of Him Who sent Me and to accomplish and completely finish His work." (Amplified Bible)

One of the first things that jumped out at me is that I've so often heard religious people talking about the need to finish God's work (meaning share their particular religious beliefs with the world).  But Jesus says that He was here to completely finish God's work.  Do we think He didn't do that?  

Does this mean there is nothing left for us to do?  As I ask these questions, I hear that still small voice saying, "Jesus finished the work God intended for Him to do. Can you say the same?" Good question! Do I focus my energy on doing God's will and finishing the work he has set for ME to do?  This is what Jesus said nourished him and left him without a need for food in that moment.  

This sounds like an excellent diet plan to me! When I think of what nourishes me, do I think of doing my heavenly father's will and finishing the work he has set for me, or do I think of physical food?  Certainly Jesus ate physical food, but he clearly understood that was not the only place he could receive nourishment. Can I say the same?  Certainly I've had times where I have been so focused on my tasks that I do not feel hunger.  Is this what he meant?

Father, I am so grateful for another day and for the daily bread you give me - physical and spiritual.  This morning I'm seeking an increased understanding of the relationship between nourishment and doing your will and how that all relates to physical food. I ask that you guide my thoughts and actions that they may indeed be in alignment with your will and that I may experience that nourishment that comes from something other than food. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is simply a sharing of my "daily bread" - my daily walk with God. If something I've said has touched your heart, or sparked a new thought, I'd love to hear from you.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *