About This Blog

The butterfly picture in the upper left corner is a symbol and reminder for me of the spiritual process. Sometimes I am the caterpillar - barely able to see far enough in front of me to put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes I find myself in that dark place of the soul, and I remind myself that it is simply my cocoon. While all may seem dark, and I may feel like everything is totally disintegrating around me (and in me!) a miracle is at work in my life and I will soon be able to fly! I love those days where I experience the butterfly in my life! The ability to fly above all the mundane earthy matters and remember the truth and experience God's power in tangible ways in my life are wonderful times indeed that occur more and more often as I continue this journey! Thank you, God!

If you are so inclined, I invite you to journey with me as we seek the promised land together. While I hope to share some "faithbooking" (scrapbook pages or artistic journaling about my faith journey), much of the time the journey may well be seen in words, rather than pictures. I invite you to create your own pictures. How do these things play out in your life? I'd love to hear from you about your own spiritual journey!

Friday, March 15, 2013

Love or selfishness?

Yesterday I shared a verse from Micah about what God requires of us and what that means to me.  This morning I decided to re-read this short book, and got through the first 3 chapters or so.  I was SO struck by what this prophet told Israel, and how just and merciful God is.  As I read of God's displeasure at how the Israelites took advantage of people and put their own desires above all else, I was struck by two things.  

First, somehow in thinking about all these prophecies and the way the Israelites went into captivity, I've known it was said that it happened because they "rebelled" against God, but for some reason I've only had some rather hazy notion of what that meant - despite reading about it.  I've thought of their "sins" as some nebulous concept related to their large body of laws about sacrifices and feasts and how all of these were to be observed.  Without realizing it, I've felt sorry for them figuring it would be pretty hard to follow ALL those laws all the time.  But from my reading in Isaiah and Jeremiah, and now Micah, I'm seeing much more clearly that this was not about some nebulous broken rule.  This was about people who had strayed so far from God's way of life that they felt it was okay to cheat others and steal from them and take advantage of the poor and unfortunate.  No wonder God was frustrated - His people were mistreating His people!  He kept pleading with them to change - but they wouldn't.  This shows me how merciful and just God is.  He's not out to get us on some technicality!  But, if we are his, he expects us to act like it and live from love.

And then the second part of this hits.  How well am I doing at this?  So many times I can see that despite my strong desire to let God's love flow through me, I have once again behaved in a selfish way.  It may not be as blatant or as often as it once was, but it STILL happens.  As I discussed yesterday, living from love is a much bigger concept than I've thought about before.  

Father, I am so grateful for your love for me and for your mercy.  I am so grateful for the changes you are making in my life. Once again I ask that you continue the work that you have started in me - knowing that you've said you will see it to completion.  Father, you've got a big job ahead of you!  May I be responsive and open to your teaching.  Thank you, Father!


No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is simply a sharing of my "daily bread" - my daily walk with God. If something I've said has touched your heart, or sparked a new thought, I'd love to hear from you.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *