About This Blog

The butterfly picture in the upper left corner is a symbol and reminder for me of the spiritual process. Sometimes I am the caterpillar - barely able to see far enough in front of me to put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes I find myself in that dark place of the soul, and I remind myself that it is simply my cocoon. While all may seem dark, and I may feel like everything is totally disintegrating around me (and in me!) a miracle is at work in my life and I will soon be able to fly! I love those days where I experience the butterfly in my life! The ability to fly above all the mundane earthy matters and remember the truth and experience God's power in tangible ways in my life are wonderful times indeed that occur more and more often as I continue this journey! Thank you, God!

If you are so inclined, I invite you to journey with me as we seek the promised land together. While I hope to share some "faithbooking" (scrapbook pages or artistic journaling about my faith journey), much of the time the journey may well be seen in words, rather than pictures. I invite you to create your own pictures. How do these things play out in your life? I'd love to hear from you about your own spiritual journey!

Thursday, March 14, 2013

What is Good?

Sometimes we can make things so complicated!  Today I am reminded of how simple things really are meant to be (I said simple - not necessarily easy!) as I re-read Micah chapter 6 verse 8.  "He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you but to do justly, and love kindness and mercy, and to humble yourself and walk humbly with your God?"  It's not a big long list of rules and regulations. (Can you imagine what life would be like if our governing councils could write laws this succinctly!) But there is a lot here.  What does this mean for me today?
  • Do justly - treat myself and others fairly
  • Love kindness and mercy - revenge has no part here - not only am I to extend kindness and mercy, but I'm to LOVE doing it!  No grudging gifts or conversations - only love-filled.
  • Humble yourself - I'm coming to understand more and more how important it is to be teachable, rather than thinking I already know everything!  As time goes on, I realize more and more how little I really KNOW as I see things I thought I knew look different from a different perspective.
  • Walk humbly with your God - Most importantly for me is to look to God as my teacher and my guide. Thank you, God, for being willing to be my teacher!
Or, as Jesus put it, "Love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, all your mind, and all your strength" and "Love your neighbor as you love yourself." ( Mark 12: 30, 31 New Century Version)

I find myself wondering, "Why all those words used to clarify our love for God?"  I suspect the answer is that we don't always understand what full love entails, and these words are added to expand our understanding.  So, what does it look like when I love God with all my:
  • Heart? - This sounds to me like exclusivity - no other "gods".  That means I don't allow anything to be more important to me.  If I allow another person to interfere with my relationship with God, I am not loving God with my whole heart.  Same goes if I allow some THING to interfere (for example, eating food that is not good for my body - which is God's temple - or anything that keeps me from spending time with God).
  • Soul? - the Greek word here means "sentient being" - one who feels and is conscious of sensations - So, if I love God with all my soul, all of my feelings are tied up in God, leaving no room for negative emotions???  Or maybe it simply reminds me to take ALL my feelings to God, no matter how negative and let Him heal them!
  • Mind? - Hmm - maybe if love for God fills my whole mind, there is no room in my mind left for doubt.
  • Strength? - All my energy. This suggests that EVERYTHING I do should be coming out of my love for God.
Next, I am to love my neighbor as myself. I notice this doesn't say love my neighbor MORE than myself, it says AS myself.  For far too long, I allowed others to walk all over me, thinking that was God's will for me.  But who of us wants to see our loved ones taken advantage of? God doesn't want that for me either! By the same token, however, my desires should not take presidence over that of my neighbor. My neighbor should be just as important to me as myself.  Oh man, I don't even KNOW many of my neighbors!  Of course, as Jesus demonstrated in the story of the Good Samaratan, my "neighbor" extends far beyond those physically living near me, to include anyone who might cross my path.  Clearly to live this way I need to spend more time actually interacting with my neighbors - and anyone who crosses my path.  It's pretty hard to love them as myself if I know them as I know myself!

Lots of food for thought here!

Thank you, God.  Thank you for your guidance in my life!  Thank you, Father, for your incredible love for me.  I ask that you continue to grow my love and mature it, that I may more completely embody the guidelines you've given here. May my love look more and more like yours each day!  I SO love you, Father!

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is simply a sharing of my "daily bread" - my daily walk with God. If something I've said has touched your heart, or sparked a new thought, I'd love to hear from you.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *