About This Blog

The butterfly picture in the upper left corner is a symbol and reminder for me of the spiritual process. Sometimes I am the caterpillar - barely able to see far enough in front of me to put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes I find myself in that dark place of the soul, and I remind myself that it is simply my cocoon. While all may seem dark, and I may feel like everything is totally disintegrating around me (and in me!) a miracle is at work in my life and I will soon be able to fly! I love those days where I experience the butterfly in my life! The ability to fly above all the mundane earthy matters and remember the truth and experience God's power in tangible ways in my life are wonderful times indeed that occur more and more often as I continue this journey! Thank you, God!

If you are so inclined, I invite you to journey with me as we seek the promised land together. While I hope to share some "faithbooking" (scrapbook pages or artistic journaling about my faith journey), much of the time the journey may well be seen in words, rather than pictures. I invite you to create your own pictures. How do these things play out in your life? I'd love to hear from you about your own spiritual journey!

Thursday, March 7, 2013

Another Happiness Recipe

A couple of months ago I shared about the happiness recipes I found in Matthew chapter 5 (in this post). Today I came across another one.  It is Psalms 1:1-3 "Blessed (happy, fortunate, prosperous, and enviable) is the man who walks and lives not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor stands in the path where sinners walk, nor sits down where the scornful gather.  But his delight and desire are in the law of the Lord and on His law he habitually meditates by day and by night. And he shall be like a tree firmly planted [and tended] by streams of water, ready to bring forth its fruit in its season; its leaf also shall not fade or wither; and everything he does shall prosper." Isn't that a wonderful promise?  How wonderful to live a life where everything I do prospers! So, I take a closer look at these verses:
  • "who walks and lives not in the counsel of the ungodly" - I've come to realize that in some situations, I have to be very careful indeed about whose counsel I seek.  While God can and often does speak to me through others, not every voice I hear speaks for Him!  I run into a challenge especially when I seek advice from others when someone has hurt me. If the person is not one who is steeped in Godly principles, I will very often get poor advice that doesn't follow the principles laid out in Matt 5 (and other places).  These people, who in many ways are caring, helpful people, whether they are trained counselors or just friends, will tell me certain actions are justified and I should return an "eye for an eye".  The unconditional and amazing love that Jesus calls us to live from is not something that is readily understood or appreciated by those who haven't opened their hearts to God's guidance and made a study of Godly principles.  I am learning that I am indeed happier when I do my best to treat others as I believe God would have me treat them and as I would like God to treat me - with loving forgiveness and compassion.  If I do this, regardless of their behavior, and quit worrying about how fair they are or aren't being to me, my life is indeed much happier.  This does not mean I have to allow others to continually mistreat me - except when mistreatment was part of the plan (near the crucifixion), Jesus did not allow others to mistreat Him.  There are times when He knew the people planned to hurt him, so He just disappeared.  As I continually seek God's guidance, I'll be shown what to do in any given situation.  But I've seen that it's important in relationships to keep my side of the street as clean as I can, regardless of how well others are cleaning their side of the street.
  • "nor stands in the path where sinners walk" - What does it mean to stand in the path where sinners walk?  For me, at least one of the things it means, is to hang out in situations where I am easily tempted to do that which is not good for me, or to longingly think about things that don't serve me.  This has more to do with HOW I am behaving, than with WHERE I am or WHO I am with.  Jesus hung out with sinners a lot, but did not stand in the path in which they walked.  He wasn't longingly  thinking about doing the things they were doing.  Instead he was working to help them find a better way.  One of the ways I stand in the path where sinners walk is to misuse my imagination.  If I use it to imagine how good I think something would be when I know it is not best for me (for example, imaging how good something would taste and wishing I could have some when I know it is not in my best interests), I am standing in the path where sinners walk.  I am just asking for trouble, and this is DEFINITELY not the path to happiness.  It always leads to unhappiness instead. My imagination is better used in visualizing God's love for me and how I can best live the life he would have me live.
  • "nor sits down where the scornful gather" - This is another place I can get into trouble.  Even if I don't actively participate in gossip myself, if I sit around listening to it, it has a negative impact on me.  It not only can cause me to think of others in less than loving ways, but it can also cause me to start worrying about what others are thinking about me.  But this is none of my business.  All that really matters is what God thinks, and following His guidance to the best of my ability.  Anything else just brings me pain.
  • "his delight and desire are in the law of the Lord and on His law he habitually meditates by day and by night" - Is my delight and desire in the law of the Lord?  Or do I see it as an uncomfortable obligation?  I've come to realize that God IS love and wants the very best for me.  Thus, as I seek His will, I know His will will be in my best interests.  But I don't always delight in and desire His guidance. Too often I get rebellious and want to do things that are not good for me.  This NEVER brings me happiness in the long run, and usually just makes me feel bad about myself even in the short term. Those words - delight and desire - are ones that I want to meditate on and try to more completely incorporate into my life with regard to God's will in my life. 
Father, thank you once again for giving me my daily bread!  I am so grateful for your guidance and the difference it makes in my life!  I've clearly seen that your ways are best, and I ask that you help me more completely incorporate the guidelines you've given me here into my life as a whole.  Your yoke is indeed easy and your burden light.  I can let go of my worries about how things will turn out and just trust your guidance for my actions each day.  Of course, everything I do will prosper if I do this, because you cannot fail!  It doesn't matter what things look like in the moment, I can trust that "all things work together for good" (Rom 8:28) as I follow your lead. This brings such lightness of spirit and such happiness!  Thank you, Father!

1 comment:

Esther said...

Very much food here. Thank you for sharing it. As I read under your first point, I was reminded that Jesus had to tell Peter, "Get thee behind me Satan." Peter was his friend; his follower, and yet he didn't know what he was talking about in the counsel he gave. So any one of us could slip into the role of giving bad counsel at any time in which we rely on our own wisdom and fail to inquire of God as to the counsel we should give.

Post a Comment

This blog is simply a sharing of my "daily bread" - my daily walk with God. If something I've said has touched your heart, or sparked a new thought, I'd love to hear from you.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *