About This Blog

The butterfly picture in the upper left corner is a symbol and reminder for me of the spiritual process. Sometimes I am the caterpillar - barely able to see far enough in front of me to put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes I find myself in that dark place of the soul, and I remind myself that it is simply my cocoon. While all may seem dark, and I may feel like everything is totally disintegrating around me (and in me!) a miracle is at work in my life and I will soon be able to fly! I love those days where I experience the butterfly in my life! The ability to fly above all the mundane earthy matters and remember the truth and experience God's power in tangible ways in my life are wonderful times indeed that occur more and more often as I continue this journey! Thank you, God!

If you are so inclined, I invite you to journey with me as we seek the promised land together. While I hope to share some "faithbooking" (scrapbook pages or artistic journaling about my faith journey), much of the time the journey may well be seen in words, rather than pictures. I invite you to create your own pictures. How do these things play out in your life? I'd love to hear from you about your own spiritual journey!

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Self-esteem

I was reading in Psalms 4 this morning and was struck by parts of the first 3 verses.  Verse one says, "Answer me when I call, O God of my righteousness" and verse 3 says "But know that the Lord has set apart for Himself him who is godly.  The Lord listens and heeds when I call to Him."

I grew up thinking that it was a bad thing to think good things about myself. And in fact, there's still a part of me that cringes inside at the idea of calling myself godly or righteous.  A verse from Isaiah was quoted often ". . . all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags . . . " And Matthew 19:17 says, ". . . there is none good but one, that is God . . ."  And yet here in Psalms 4 (and elsewhere) David speaks of himself as righteous and godly.  I note the phrase "God of my righteousness" and understand David to be clear about where his right doing comes from, but he is still not afraid to call himself godly!  I don't know that I would ever feel comfortable calling myself righteous or godly, yet if I believe God, that is how He sees me, through Christ.

I've often thought about the concept of self-esteem.  Psychologists define it as our sense of self-worth or value and tell us that it is essential for emotional health. And yet I've seen so many people - even Christians - that have poor self esteem (at one time, I was there myself.)  It seems to me that far from having low self-esteem, Christians should have the most healthy sense of self-esteem.  After all, we have so much value to God that He was willing to come to earth and show us the way.

It seems to me that when we denigrate ourselves as having no value, we are thumbing our nose at God's assessment of us. Do we really believe that God doesn't know what He's doing when He decides we're valuable to Him?  Whether speaking of ourselves or another of God's children, too often we say terrible things about what God sacrificed to save.  Who do we think is correct?  Do we think we can assess the value of a human being better than God can?

Father, thank you for what you are doing in my life - for saving me and making me whole, for cleansing me and loosing the chains that bind!  Thank you for seeing value in me when I couldn't see it in myself - and for working in me to increase the value of your investment! Thank you for being love in me this day as I interact with those that cross my path.  May I remember their value to you and act accordingly.  Thank you, Father!

1 comment:

Esther said...

Another good post. Here are a few thoughts that it triggered in my mind: We are valuable to God also because he created us. He not only created us, but when he did, he pronounced his work, "very good."

Certainly, an enemy has come in and his creative work has been marred, sometimes beyond recognition I fear, but he also knows how skillful he is in his re-creative work; he sees what we can become through his craft and his power.

I know when I work hard to create something I feel sad to see it marred and unappreciated. Some people love to see what beautiful and useful items they can make from what the rest of us would call real junk.

God is the most skillful of anyone in taking what some might see as a "throw-away person" and turning him/her into a truly beautiful person. We should not give up on anyone!

Post a Comment

This blog is simply a sharing of my "daily bread" - my daily walk with God. If something I've said has touched your heart, or sparked a new thought, I'd love to hear from you.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *