About This Blog

The butterfly picture in the upper left corner is a symbol and reminder for me of the spiritual process. Sometimes I am the caterpillar - barely able to see far enough in front of me to put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes I find myself in that dark place of the soul, and I remind myself that it is simply my cocoon. While all may seem dark, and I may feel like everything is totally disintegrating around me (and in me!) a miracle is at work in my life and I will soon be able to fly! I love those days where I experience the butterfly in my life! The ability to fly above all the mundane earthy matters and remember the truth and experience God's power in tangible ways in my life are wonderful times indeed that occur more and more often as I continue this journey! Thank you, God!

If you are so inclined, I invite you to journey with me as we seek the promised land together. While I hope to share some "faithbooking" (scrapbook pages or artistic journaling about my faith journey), much of the time the journey may well be seen in words, rather than pictures. I invite you to create your own pictures. How do these things play out in your life? I'd love to hear from you about your own spiritual journey!

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

How to Pray

As I've been learning to "enter into His gates with thanksgiving and into His courts with praise" (Ps 100:4) I've been thinking once again about the "proper" way to pray.  Figuring I can do no better than to go to what Jesus himself taught on this subject, I returned to Matthew chapter 6 to re-read His instructions.  I had figured to once again go through The Lord's Prayer, to see what I could uncover, but I got caught up in several verses before that - starting with verse 6. 

When looking at a passage which I've read over and over again and know by heart, I often find it helpful to go to the original language to see if there are things I can better understand that way.  Not knowing the original languages myself, I rely on reference materials - most commonly Strong's concordance. I used that again today.

The first word I looked up was the word translated "pray".  I've been taught so many different things about what prayer is, but I wondered what it actually meant in the Greek.  I found that essentially it means "wishing to God".  How much more valuable a technique than wishing on a star or birthday candles!  I've sometimes thought that wishing for something is bad.  After all, I know I've been told that it is best to be content with what I have (Heb 3:5). So how do I reconcile that with the fact that prayer literally means to wish to God?  I am reminded of something I recently heard about the word "enthusiasm".  It literally means to be possessed by God or to have God within. Is it possible that I can be so possessed by God, so filled with Him and directed by His will, that my desires are His and a form of guidance?  

Father, I am so grateful that you are my daddy and that I can trust you to have my best good at heart.  I am so grateful that YOU know how to give good gifts to your children better than human parents ever could.  I am so grateful for all of these gifts - that in you I live and move and have my being!  Father, I ask that you live within me and that your will be done in my life - that you so fill me that my desires are indeed Yours.  Thank you, Father, once again for the promise that you will see the work you've started in me to completion. I love you, Father!      

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is simply a sharing of my "daily bread" - my daily walk with God. If something I've said has touched your heart, or sparked a new thought, I'd love to hear from you.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *