About This Blog

The butterfly picture in the upper left corner is a symbol and reminder for me of the spiritual process. Sometimes I am the caterpillar - barely able to see far enough in front of me to put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes I find myself in that dark place of the soul, and I remind myself that it is simply my cocoon. While all may seem dark, and I may feel like everything is totally disintegrating around me (and in me!) a miracle is at work in my life and I will soon be able to fly! I love those days where I experience the butterfly in my life! The ability to fly above all the mundane earthy matters and remember the truth and experience God's power in tangible ways in my life are wonderful times indeed that occur more and more often as I continue this journey! Thank you, God!

If you are so inclined, I invite you to journey with me as we seek the promised land together. While I hope to share some "faithbooking" (scrapbook pages or artistic journaling about my faith journey), much of the time the journey may well be seen in words, rather than pictures. I invite you to create your own pictures. How do these things play out in your life? I'd love to hear from you about your own spiritual journey!

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Why Do Bad Things Happen to Good People?

A friend of mine has been on my mind a great deal.  She just lost her husband of many years - who died rather unexpectedly. It was very shocking to all of us who loved him - but especially to her.  As I've prayed for her and her family, I've been wondering how I can be the best friend I can be.  Nothing will bring him back, but are there things I can do that can ease the burden, even a little?  I CERTAINLY don't want to do anything that might make it worse!

As I thought about this, I thought about the story of Job.  In the space of a few minutes he lost nearly everything that mattered to him - not only his possessions, but ALL of his children!  What a shocking blow! Not long after this, he was hit with some disease that caused him to have painful boils all over his body!  How much can one person take?  His friends came to visit and support him in his grief, but the things most of them said to him just made things worse.  I decided to re-read the story to learn what I could about what NOT to do (as well as anything I might glean about what TO do) as I seek to bring some small measure of comfort to my friend.

I sat down and read the book of Job in one sitting so I could get an overview of the full story.  I read with these questions in my mind: "What did Job's friends do that Job experienced as helpful? What did they do that increased Job's pain?"

The first thing Job's friends did was sit with him for 7 days saying absolutely nothing because they recognized the depth of Job's suffering was beyond words.  This appears to be something that helped Job - or at least did not cause him any extra pain.  Sometimes this is what will best serve - just be there and keep my mouth shut!

When they opened their mouths was when they got into trouble!  It sounds like they spent most of their time trying to answer the question, "Why did this happen?"  This is a question many of us ask from time to time.  It's a natural human question. Sometimes I think we're a bit like two-year-old's in our relationship with God. Our tendency to ask "why?" about every little thing, is another example of this.  In thinking about it, I realize that when I ask this question, at core I'm indicating a lack of trust that God knows what He's doing - perhaps even a calling Him to task for His behavior! How arrogant of me! God's understanding is so much beyond mine that I suspect, even if He wanted to answer such an audacious question, I would too often not be able to understand it. How much better if I can just trust that God is in charge, and say with Job, "The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away. Blessed be the name of the Lord!" (Job 1:21)  Of course, even this, is more of an internal thing, rather than something to say to my friend.  I suspect that open arms and a closed mouth may serve her better.

Job's friends didn't have the answer to that question either, so they started doing something that seems pretty horrible in retrospect - they started making assumptions about Job!  They assumed he MUST have done something terrible to deserve all the pain he was going through - and told him so!  As I think about this, my reaction is, "Even I know better than that!"  But do I really? While I would never even think such a thing about my friend, let alone say it, how often have I beaten MYSELF up when things didn't go the way I had hoped or expected, figuring I MUST somehow be to blame?  Isn't that the same thing? 

Father, thank you that I can trust you to do all things well.  Thank you that when I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, you are with me and comfort me! (Ps 23:4) Thank you that I don't have to take so much responsibility on my shoulders, but can just follow your guidance and trust you with the results!  And thank you for the timely phone call that I just received that told me something concrete that I can do for my friend!  I love you, Lord! You supply all my needs - physical, mental, emotional, spiritual! I am so grateful!

1 comment:

Esther said...

I also have a friend who lost her husband a couple weeks ago. Unfortunately, she lives quite a distance away. :( I appreciate your thoughts on this. Also, about asking "why." I have a tendency to ask that question about so many things! I really does sound like a two-year-old, doesn't it. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Post a Comment

This blog is simply a sharing of my "daily bread" - my daily walk with God. If something I've said has touched your heart, or sparked a new thought, I'd love to hear from you.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *