About This Blog

The butterfly picture in the upper left corner is a symbol and reminder for me of the spiritual process. Sometimes I am the caterpillar - barely able to see far enough in front of me to put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes I find myself in that dark place of the soul, and I remind myself that it is simply my cocoon. While all may seem dark, and I may feel like everything is totally disintegrating around me (and in me!) a miracle is at work in my life and I will soon be able to fly! I love those days where I experience the butterfly in my life! The ability to fly above all the mundane earthy matters and remember the truth and experience God's power in tangible ways in my life are wonderful times indeed that occur more and more often as I continue this journey! Thank you, God!

If you are so inclined, I invite you to journey with me as we seek the promised land together. While I hope to share some "faithbooking" (scrapbook pages or artistic journaling about my faith journey), much of the time the journey may well be seen in words, rather than pictures. I invite you to create your own pictures. How do these things play out in your life? I'd love to hear from you about your own spiritual journey!

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Make A Joyful Noise

This morning I woke up with a dream that was more like a mild nightmare.  I don't remember too much about it except that it involved bodyguards and betrayal.  When I awoke, I wondered why I would have such a dream when I've been focusing so much of my time on spiritual things.  As I asked the question, I began to pray for guidance.  The answer came right away - "They put their faith in the 'god of fortresses'" (Dan 11:38).  Okay, but what does that have to do with me? "You put your faith in the god of fortresses, too." When do I do this, Father? "When you put your faith in anything but me - for example, when you trust your DIET to protect you from illness and restore you to health and proper weight instead of trusting Me."  Father, forgive me! May I turn to YOU for all things!

As I continued praying, the words of Psalms 100 again came into mind, and I started praying them as a prayer of thanksgiving to God. The King James puts it this way:
"Make a joyful noise unto the Lord, all ye lands. Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing. Knew ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves: we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture. Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.  For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations." 
As I prayed And I realized something new. For some time I've been pondering the reason for all the admonitions to praise God.  It seemed immediately obvious to me that the reason had more to do with us that with God.  My experience of God tells me that He does the things He does for me out of love, not because he expects thanks in return.  It also tells me that He does not have a big ego that needs to be fed by having us all praise and worship Him.  So why the need for praise?  I have realized for some time that cultivating an attitude of gratitude just plain makes life go better, and I figured that was part of it.  Today, I understand another part.  As we develop a habit of praising God, we are changing at depth.  This habit of praise continually reminds us of God's power, His love, His goodness, His strength. So, when we are hit with trouble or challenge in our lives, we are much less likely to turn to the god of fortresses.  Why would we do that when we serve a God who is all-powerful and so loving?

Thank you, Father, for the reminder that there are many reasons that you lead us the way you do.  Some we may discern right away, others may take a long time to see - if we ever do on this earthly plane.  Knowing the "why" doesn't matter. Obedience matters - not because You are a God ready to pounce on us if we don't, but because Your leading guides us to the way of Life!  Thank you, Father! Thank you!  I am so grateful for Your leading in my life! I am so grateful for Your patience with my impertinent questions! I am so grateful for Your love! I am so grateful for Your power and strength in my life! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is simply a sharing of my "daily bread" - my daily walk with God. If something I've said has touched your heart, or sparked a new thought, I'd love to hear from you.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *