About This Blog

The butterfly picture in the upper left corner is a symbol and reminder for me of the spiritual process. Sometimes I am the caterpillar - barely able to see far enough in front of me to put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes I find myself in that dark place of the soul, and I remind myself that it is simply my cocoon. While all may seem dark, and I may feel like everything is totally disintegrating around me (and in me!) a miracle is at work in my life and I will soon be able to fly! I love those days where I experience the butterfly in my life! The ability to fly above all the mundane earthy matters and remember the truth and experience God's power in tangible ways in my life are wonderful times indeed that occur more and more often as I continue this journey! Thank you, God!

If you are so inclined, I invite you to journey with me as we seek the promised land together. While I hope to share some "faithbooking" (scrapbook pages or artistic journaling about my faith journey), much of the time the journey may well be seen in words, rather than pictures. I invite you to create your own pictures. How do these things play out in your life? I'd love to hear from you about your own spiritual journey!

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Food Choices

There are many different types of meals. Some days in my walk with God, the "daily bread" I receive comes in the form of a normal breakfast - food for thought for a normal day.  It may be nothing particularly profound or earth shattering, but it gives me needed reminders and ideas for my day, and I am grateful!

Other days I am given a FEAST!  The food comes so generously and so fast it feels like I cannot take it all in.  As feasts are usually a shared experience, often these feasts have involved sharing the meal with others.  Metaphorically, I get to see what they're eating and they tell me how well they are enjoying it, while I get to eat my own choices and share about them.  Sometimes, we might even share some things off one another's plate, or say, "Where was that? I'll have to go get some too!"

Today I experienced a different sort of meal.  I liken it to a "tea".  The portions were more dainty than usual, but there have been several "courses" of delightful tidbits that all add up to a surprisingly filling meal.  Undoubtedly, not all teas are the same, but I'm remembering a formal tea that I attended with friends.  The servings were small.  At first we looked at each other as if to say, "Is this all?" But as each course was followed by the next, soon we were all saying, "I couldn't eat another bite!"

One of the tidbits today, was about "food".  I was reminded about the very FIRST food choices.  The story of the Garden of Eden speaks specifically to a very important choice.  One tree we are not to eat from is described in chapter 2 of Genesis. It is called the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil.  It seems a strange name for a tree - and as such, it calls for more contemplation.

It seems like it would be easier to understand this tree if it were called the tree of the knowledge of EVIL.  I could certainly understand the need to leave such a tree entirely alone.  But this tree has something to do with the knowledge of GOOD, too!  What does it mean to eat from this tree?

Is it possible that our whole focus on defining things as either good or evil is eating from this tree?  We're told "judge not" (Matt 7:1). Is this a part of that picture?  Though I want to follow Jesus advice to "judge not", it is such second nature for me to do so. Those clothes look good, those look bad. This food is good for me, that is bad.  These ideas are good, those are bad. Even when it comes to my own spiritual food, it is easy to begin worrying "Is this really from You, Father? Is it really good, or is it bad"?  I am so grateful Father, that you promise that if we ask you for a fish, You will NOT give us a serpent! (Luke 11:11)

There were two trees in that garden - the Tree of Life, and the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil.  The first was nourishing, the second brought death.  We no longer have access to the Tree of Life, but that doesn't mean we need to FEAST from the other tree!  We have been given another option! We have been given the Bread of Life.

Father, thank you for these and so many other blessings!  You could have given up on us. You could have said, well, they made their choice!  But that is not the sort of God that you are.  Just as we know that a child may not fully understand the dangers when we warn them against doing something dangerous, you know how immature we are and you love us enough to find a way to save us despite our foolish choices.  Thank you so much for sending us the Bread of Life.  I can't begin to imagine the sacrifice that was, and the pain you've gone through as we so often behave like rebellious two year olds!  Father, cleanse me from my tendency to judge!  May I keep my eye on YOU.  May I simply keep my mind on the Bread of Life instead of seeking to know what is good and what is evil.  May I be open to YOUR leading in my life.

As I write these words, I realize something else.  Part of my tendency to judge things good and evil comes straight from my rebellious heart.  If I know exactly where that line between the two is, then I can walk as close to the edge as possible without stepping into dangerous territory.  But the edge IS dangerous territory! It's ALL eating from that tree!  It's making that tree my god instead of my Heavenly Father. And I see that too often I've done this when it comes to my physical food choices. 

Father, rather than seeking to discern what is good and what is bad in the way of physical food for my body so that I can walk close to that edge, I want to be fully cleansed of rebellion and to look to you for guidance and healing.  Rather than looking for that which is good/bad, better/worse, etc. I simply want what is most nourishing for me each day.  I don't need or want to walk along that edge!  Please guide my feet to the center of your will - both in terms of physical food, and in terms of all my thoughts and actions.  May I not be tempted to judge, but leave all judgment to you and instead be content to follow you without arguing!  Thank you, Father!

1 comment:

Esther said...

Another good blog. One thing that came to my mind as I read it: the tree of the knowledge of good and evil might also denote a mixture of the two. I think that 99% of something good with only 1% bad can be more deadly than 100% bad at times. How can I tell if someone puts 1% strychnine in my drink? I might recognize it much easier of it was 100%.

I think Satan doesn't care whether or not we are 1% on his side or if he has 100% of our heart. If he can sneak that 1% in there, he may just get the 100% eventually--we are on our way.

But God is faithful and he has promised that if we are his--if we have given him our whole heart--no one can snatch us out of his hands! What a wonderful God; what a wonderful promise!

Post a Comment

This blog is simply a sharing of my "daily bread" - my daily walk with God. If something I've said has touched your heart, or sparked a new thought, I'd love to hear from you.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *