About This Blog

The butterfly picture in the upper left corner is a symbol and reminder for me of the spiritual process. Sometimes I am the caterpillar - barely able to see far enough in front of me to put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes I find myself in that dark place of the soul, and I remind myself that it is simply my cocoon. While all may seem dark, and I may feel like everything is totally disintegrating around me (and in me!) a miracle is at work in my life and I will soon be able to fly! I love those days where I experience the butterfly in my life! The ability to fly above all the mundane earthy matters and remember the truth and experience God's power in tangible ways in my life are wonderful times indeed that occur more and more often as I continue this journey! Thank you, God!

If you are so inclined, I invite you to journey with me as we seek the promised land together. While I hope to share some "faithbooking" (scrapbook pages or artistic journaling about my faith journey), much of the time the journey may well be seen in words, rather than pictures. I invite you to create your own pictures. How do these things play out in your life? I'd love to hear from you about your own spiritual journey!

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Thinking . . .

Today I've been reading in Philippians chapter 4. I particularly note verses 4 - 8:

Verse 4 says, "Rejoice in the Lord always; again I say, Rejoice!"  Wow! To ALWAYS rejoice is something I have not yet mastered. And yet, I know that to truly remember and know that God is in charge and that He does all things well, regardless of what they look like to my human eyes, is such a blessing. And it is this that will enable me to ALWAYS rejoice in the Lord. 

Verse 5 - "Let all men know and perceive and recognize your unselfishness (your considerateness, your forbearing spirit). The Lord is near."  For everyone to be able to perceive and recognize my unselfishness, my considerateness, and my forbearing spirit, I have to first BE these things.  Father, thank you that you are near as I seek to incorporate these more fully into my life. Please change me at depth so that these attributes are descriptive of the whole of me, not merely part of the time.

Verses 6 & 7 - "Do not fret or have any anxiety about anything, but in every circumstance and in everything, by prayer and petition (definite requests), with thanksgiving, continue to make your wants known to God. And God's peace which transcends all understanding shall garrison and mount guard over your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus."  Here's another verse that helps me understand how to truly live verse 4 and always rejoice.  I let go of anxiety by making my wants known to God by concrete requests in prayer and THANKSGIVING.  That attitude of gratitude is so important! I know the difference it makes in my life when I actively cultivate it!  This is also a wonderful promise - that God's peace that transcends all understanding will guard our hearts.  No wonder we feel like rejoicing!  I've had times where I've seen this promise fulfilled so plainly in my life; where circumstances were such that my normal self would be very worried, but where instead I've had peace and joy.  This is such a miracle.  Thank you, God!  May I remember to always look for that for which I can be grateful, and to pray with faith and trust in you that I may live more fully in the state of peace and serenity you promise here.

Verse 8 - "For the rest, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is worthy of reverence and is honorable and seemly, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely and lovable, whatever is kind and winsome and gracious, if there is any virtue and excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think on and weigh and take account of these things."  This verse is jam-packed full of good advice about what things are worthy of our attention and thought - and what will enable us to REJOICE IN ALL THINGS.  I'll take each item individually.

Whatever is true - What does it take for something to be true? Certainly, by definition, a lie is not true, so lies are to be avoided.  But as I read this part of the verse, I started wondering, "Does this mean I should never have anything to do with works of fiction?"  While true stories can often be VERY inspiring, I've also found myself really fed by works of fiction - surely this isn't saying to toss them all out?  As I asked these questions, a verse popped into my mind, from Matthew (13:34) ". . .without a parable spake he not unto them." We're told that Jesus did all of his teaching to the multitudes in parables - and Strong's Concordance defines a parable as a "fictitious narrative".  So clearly, this verse is not saying we should never think about works of fiction.  Looking up the word "true" in Strong's concordance clarifies that the word translated true in this verse includes the meaning of "not concealing".  So much for what's sometimes thought of as "lying by omission"!  I was reading something today that talked about this very thing, taking this thought even farther.  Too often when we are upset by something someone has said or done, we focus only on the negative with regard to that person.  If we think and talk only of their faults, aren't we "concealing" the good in them? By this definition, if we focus on their faults, it sounds to me like we are not focused on "whatever is true" - even if they truly have the faults that upset us!

Whatever is worthy of reverence and is honorable and seemly - This is where I find the Amplified Bible so helpful.  The King James version simply says whatever is "honest" - which sounds like a simple repeat of whatever is "true", but looking it up in Strong's I find that the word does indeed mean "venerable" and "honorable". This reminds me of something I saw on a talk show yesterday. They were talking with a young lady who has made it her mission to send hand-written "love letters" to strangers, expressing God's love as best she can.  She started out by writing these letters and leaving them in various places in the big city where she lived (I think it was New York, but I don't remember for sure). Then she posted on her blog that anyone who wanted one could let her know and she'd see that they got one.  The stories she shared of what these letters meant to people she had heard from, combined with what was shared by the host and some audience members (all of whom had gotten a letter from her) was very inspiring indeed.  She now is doing this full time - earning her living through speaking engagements - and has a team of people that work with her to write love letters to those who request them.  As I listened to her story, it was clearly one that was honorable and seemly.  It was so inspiring that it greatly encouraged me to do what I can in my own little corner of the world to share God's love with those around me. And it just plain made me happy to think about what she was doing!

whatever is just - When I think of this word, I think of fairness.  Strong's says "equitable (in character or act); by implication, innocent".  This one can be a bit tricky I think.  It is easy for me to fall into the trap of thinking about what is NOT fair, instead of what IS fair! When I am not treated fairly, I can so easily move into a pity party for myself - but that is the opposite of what I'm being counseled to do.  Where am I being treated fairly? And how might I treat those around me more fairly? These are topics much more worthy of my consideration.

whatever is pure - According to Strong's, this word means "properly, clean, i.e. (figuratively) innocent, modest, perfect". What is proper, clean, modest? Once again, it is so easy to think instead of what I judge improper or unclean or immodest and to condemn those that I see doing these things - and to think my condemnation of these things is living as this verse would have me live. How foolish is that!  Not only am I judging, when I've been warned against that, but I am focused on the very opposite of those things that will bring me peace and joy. This is what eating from the tree of the "knowledge of good and evil" has brought to us. We want to compare and contrast "good" versus "evil" and judge everything by those standards.  How much better to eat from the tree of life and focus on "whatever IS pure" rather than worrying about what is not and judging everything!

Well, I have an appointment, so will have to think about the rest of these later:

whatever is lovely and lovable -

whatever is kind and winsome and gracious -

if there is any virtue and excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise

Father, thank you so much for such clear guidance!  May I live this day focused on these things you have advised us to think about.  Thank you for filling my heart with gladness and enabling me to rejoice this day.  Amen.

1 comment:

Esther said...

Very good post. You are so right that "what is true" has to do with the whole of a thing/person--good as well as bad. And it is so much more profitable to focus on the good. In fact, I believe that if everyone in our world would focus on the good instead of the evil (including and maybe especially newscasters, the good that is focused on would breed more good!

I have found a text for you: Psalms 22:3 But thou [art] holy, [O thou] that inhabitest the praises of Israel.

Isn't that a wonderful promise!!

Post a Comment

This blog is simply a sharing of my "daily bread" - my daily walk with God. If something I've said has touched your heart, or sparked a new thought, I'd love to hear from you.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *