About This Blog

The butterfly picture in the upper left corner is a symbol and reminder for me of the spiritual process. Sometimes I am the caterpillar - barely able to see far enough in front of me to put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes I find myself in that dark place of the soul, and I remind myself that it is simply my cocoon. While all may seem dark, and I may feel like everything is totally disintegrating around me (and in me!) a miracle is at work in my life and I will soon be able to fly! I love those days where I experience the butterfly in my life! The ability to fly above all the mundane earthy matters and remember the truth and experience God's power in tangible ways in my life are wonderful times indeed that occur more and more often as I continue this journey! Thank you, God!

If you are so inclined, I invite you to journey with me as we seek the promised land together. While I hope to share some "faithbooking" (scrapbook pages or artistic journaling about my faith journey), much of the time the journey may well be seen in words, rather than pictures. I invite you to create your own pictures. How do these things play out in your life? I'd love to hear from you about your own spiritual journey!

Saturday, February 2, 2013

Remembering

I don't know if any of you have this problem, but periodically, I find myself forgetting things.  This has been really brought to my attention the last couple of mornings as I've awakened with a verse in my mind - but before I could get to my Bible and start reading it it evaporated.  I know the verse was different each morning, but that's about all I know.  I couldn't remember anything about it! Both mornings I prayed that it be brought back to mind if it were God's will - but I still didn't remember. It was bad enough the first time it happened, but I found it very frustrating for it to happen again. Yesterday I just let it go and read something else, but it really bothered me that it had happened again this morning. As I was praying about it, the thought came that I could do a search about memory and see if the Bible had something to say about how to improve my memory.

I first looked up the word "memory" itself, but nothing jumped out at me there.  Then I tried the word, "remember" and a passage jumped out at me.  It's found in Numbers 15:38-40.  In the Amplified Bible it says, "Speak to the Israelites and bid them make fringes or tassels on the corners in the borders of their garments throughout their generations, and put upon the fringe of the borders or upon the tassel or each corner a cord of blue.  And it shall be to you a fringe or tassel that you may look upon and remember all the commandments of the Lord and do them, that you may not spy out and follow after [the desires of] your own heart and your own eyes, after which you used to follow and play the harlot [spiritually, if not physically], That you may remember and do all My commandments and be holy to your God."

Wow, I have noticed that it is so easy to forget the things God is teaching me and just follow my natural inclinations, and been so frustrated with my "short memory" in terms of putting into practice what I'm being taught.  Here's an idea from God Himself about how to improve my memory!  The specific idea seems impractical - a blue ribbon and fringe or tassels on all my clothes, but there must be a way to adapt it to work for me.

How can I put this idea to use?  Perhaps I can put notes around my environment - my bedroom or my office or my bathroom perhaps - to help me remember to put these things into practice in my life. Perhaps I could make a necklace or bracelet with things to help me remember.  I think of those charm bracelets that have been so popular where women get different charms to remember specific events in their lives. How about something like that where each charm represents an idea that God and I are working to incorporate in my life? I could even see making a necklace of home-made paper beads that are strung on a blue ribbon. Perhaps I can also start that faithbooking scrapbook that I've been wanting to make. Perhaps I could make it smaller than I had at first thought, so I could carry it with me.

Hmmm, lots of ideas. God, thank you for addressing this issue! Please help me choose those ideas that will work best for me and to actually follow through with them - that I be a "doer" of your word, and not just a "hearer" (James 1:22).  Thank you, Father!

1 comment:

Esther said...

When I read this I was reminded of an old song that said, "Tie a little string around your finger, so you'll remember me." It's a very good idea!

Post a Comment

This blog is simply a sharing of my "daily bread" - my daily walk with God. If something I've said has touched your heart, or sparked a new thought, I'd love to hear from you.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *