About This Blog

The butterfly picture in the upper left corner is a symbol and reminder for me of the spiritual process. Sometimes I am the caterpillar - barely able to see far enough in front of me to put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes I find myself in that dark place of the soul, and I remind myself that it is simply my cocoon. While all may seem dark, and I may feel like everything is totally disintegrating around me (and in me!) a miracle is at work in my life and I will soon be able to fly! I love those days where I experience the butterfly in my life! The ability to fly above all the mundane earthy matters and remember the truth and experience God's power in tangible ways in my life are wonderful times indeed that occur more and more often as I continue this journey! Thank you, God!

If you are so inclined, I invite you to journey with me as we seek the promised land together. While I hope to share some "faithbooking" (scrapbook pages or artistic journaling about my faith journey), much of the time the journey may well be seen in words, rather than pictures. I invite you to create your own pictures. How do these things play out in your life? I'd love to hear from you about your own spiritual journey!

Saturday, February 9, 2013

Gratitude

This morning I am so grateful to God for feeding me!  The food he gave me yesterday upheld me through a very challenging time. Just before guests were to arrive, I got word that someone we cared for a great deal was dead.  In the space of less than two weeks he went from being fairly active, to struggling for breath as he fought acute leukemia, to death!

With the stress of the news and no time to digest it before guests arrived, a common reaction on my part would have been to overeat. And yet, even though guests brought snacks that often would have been quite tempting, I ate a temperate meal and did not snack later. Thank you, Father, for this miracle in my life!

Our friend's death leaves such a big hole in our lives, and my heart bleeds for his wife and family. As I think of what it must take for a wife to carry on after such an event, I hurt for his wife and begin to pray for her.

And then I remember what I was told before in Phil 1: 3, 4. "I thank my God in all my remembrance of you. In every prayer of mine I always make my entreaty and petition for you with all joy (delight)." (emphasis mine).  At times like this, it can be a real challenge to follow the advice of scripture to "rejoice in the Lord always" (Phil 4:4).  And yet, we are told, ". . . the joy of the Lord is your strength."  (Neh 8:10)  Of course, I don't think this means we are not ever to express sorrow.  Ecc 3:4 assures us there IS a time to weep. But I DO know that at times like this I really need God's strength!  

Thank you, Father for more food for this day! Thank you for the knowledge that you do all things well and we can trust in you, no matter what the circumstances of our lives.

1 comment:

Esther said...

My condolences in the loss of your friend. May God bring comfort to you and to the family.

Post a Comment

This blog is simply a sharing of my "daily bread" - my daily walk with God. If something I've said has touched your heart, or sparked a new thought, I'd love to hear from you.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *