About This Blog

The butterfly picture in the upper left corner is a symbol and reminder for me of the spiritual process. Sometimes I am the caterpillar - barely able to see far enough in front of me to put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes I find myself in that dark place of the soul, and I remind myself that it is simply my cocoon. While all may seem dark, and I may feel like everything is totally disintegrating around me (and in me!) a miracle is at work in my life and I will soon be able to fly! I love those days where I experience the butterfly in my life! The ability to fly above all the mundane earthy matters and remember the truth and experience God's power in tangible ways in my life are wonderful times indeed that occur more and more often as I continue this journey! Thank you, God!

If you are so inclined, I invite you to journey with me as we seek the promised land together. While I hope to share some "faithbooking" (scrapbook pages or artistic journaling about my faith journey), much of the time the journey may well be seen in words, rather than pictures. I invite you to create your own pictures. How do these things play out in your life? I'd love to hear from you about your own spiritual journey!

Monday, February 11, 2013

Our Father

As I continue my spiritual journey, I often pray "The Lord's Prayer" (Matt 6:9-13). I figure I have no better example of how to pray than that which Jesus Himself gave us!  Today, as I was reciting The Lord's Prayer, a couple of things stood out to me. 

First, what does "hallowed be thy name" really mean for ME?  I don't want to just be praying this prayer by rote.  I want to pray it with genuine meaning! 

First, this seems to me to be a form of praise, so is a reminder to start my prayer with praise and to remember to be thankful in all things! It's so easy to fall into a habit of always asking for things as I come to understand how MUCH I need my Father, but an attitude of gratitude is SO important in my life! Father, thank you so much for all you do for me! I am grateful for the physical things - for food and clothes and housing and more; for life and health and strength. Even more, I am grateful for the non-physical things - for serenity where I used to have confusion and anxiety, for love where I used to have fear, for acceptance and forgiveness where I used to have guilt. For all these things and so much more, I am grateful, Father! Truly you ARE a God of miracles! May I always remember to be grateful, Father! 

As I looked up this passage and studied further, I read that the word "hallowed" was the opposite of "common".  If something is common, it isn't seen as particularly valuable.  When we think of collecting coins or stamps, for example, it is the rare that is really sought after and seen as valuable. So, this phrase reminds me to not take God for granted - to remember how amazing it is that One so powerful and all-knowing and righteous is willing to adopt ME into His family and provide for my needs!  Father, may I always be in awe of your love and your grace and your generosity! May I never again take you for granted.

Another thought comes to me.  Perhaps another opposite of hallowed is "dishonored". It's not that uncommon for children to disgrace their earthly father's name by behaving in dishonorable ways. Father, may my words and actions honor your name! Please keep me from dishonoring you! 

The other phrase that stood out to me was "forgive us our debts as we forgive our debtors". I realized that in my mind, I always thought of this as saying, "forgive us our sins as we forgive those who sin against us".  While that is probably a part of the meaning, the words here are debts and debtors.  I felt I had something more to learn.

If someone feels indebted to me (or if I feel someone is indebted to me) it has to do either with having loaned them something, or having done something of value for them.  As humans, we expect others to re-pay their loans and to appreciate and try to reciprocate when we do something of value for them.  Forgiving our debtors sounds to me like not only letting go of grudges, but also letting go of such expectations. That's not always easy! Father, may I always remember that all I have and am comes from you, so others cannot be indebted to me - if they are indebted, it is to YOU! May I be so filled with your love and so in contact with you that in my interactions with others they see you through me and are filled with gratitude to YOU. Thank you, Father.

As I was praying for increased understanding of debts, debtors and forgiveness, I decided to read in a devotional called "For Today".  A quote from Aesop jumped out at me. "Men often bear little grievances with less courage than they do large misfortunes." I realized how often I whine and complain about "little grievances".  When someone does something particularly heinous, it's so big and in my face that I know right away I must seek God's help to forgive them.  But the little things?  Too often I don't even really recognize the need for forgiveness and choose to whine instead.  Father, forgive me!

Father, I am so grateful to you for my Daily Bread; for your willingness to be there for me and feed my soul.  Father, may these not just be words, but may they go deep into my heart and take root, growing to fill my heart so selfishness and self-seeking can no longer find a home there.  Thank you, Father!

1 comment:

Esther said...

I am truly blessed by your blogs and appreciate you posting them. I always learn something. Thank you for the reminder that all I am and have belongs to God so no one can owe ME anything. That's the reason why "Great peace have they that love thy law and nothing shall offend them." How can someone offend me if I realize that all belongs to God; that HE is in charge; and that he will handle it?

Post a Comment

This blog is simply a sharing of my "daily bread" - my daily walk with God. If something I've said has touched your heart, or sparked a new thought, I'd love to hear from you.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *