About This Blog

The butterfly picture in the upper left corner is a symbol and reminder for me of the spiritual process. Sometimes I am the caterpillar - barely able to see far enough in front of me to put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes I find myself in that dark place of the soul, and I remind myself that it is simply my cocoon. While all may seem dark, and I may feel like everything is totally disintegrating around me (and in me!) a miracle is at work in my life and I will soon be able to fly! I love those days where I experience the butterfly in my life! The ability to fly above all the mundane earthy matters and remember the truth and experience God's power in tangible ways in my life are wonderful times indeed that occur more and more often as I continue this journey! Thank you, God!

If you are so inclined, I invite you to journey with me as we seek the promised land together. While I hope to share some "faithbooking" (scrapbook pages or artistic journaling about my faith journey), much of the time the journey may well be seen in words, rather than pictures. I invite you to create your own pictures. How do these things play out in your life? I'd love to hear from you about your own spiritual journey!

Thursday, January 9, 2014

I Was Afraid

I heard your voice in the garden,” the man answered, “and I was afraid because I was naked, so I hid from you.” Genesis 3:10 ISV 

This morning I woke up thinking about balloons.  I thought about how much fun it was to pop balloons with a small child - but how you usually had to first train them to think it was funny.  The first time a baby hears a balloon pop, they're likely to startle and cry, but they soon learn it is "fun".  The same thing happens with the game of peek-a-boo.  We're training babies to take unexpected events in stride and even enjoy them.  Why do even babies initially find unexpected events frightening? As I read Adam & Eve's story in Genesis, it sure sounds as though fear was unknown until disobedience and sin entered this world. 

Popping balloons, peek-a-boo - just some of the things we do to train our children to take the unexpected in stride so they can experience joy in life. But how do we do as adults?  How do we handle surprises?  Have we really learned the lessons we try to teach the little ones? Take for instance, a surprise party - how do we react?  Do we enjoy it, or hate it?  What about other unexpected events in our lives?  Do we find joy in the unexpected, or do we react with apprehension?  

As I pondered these things, I realized how often I am apprehensive (if not downright afraid) when unexpected things occur. And many people would even argue that this is quite reasonable.  Loud noises can be indicators of danger (perhaps a gunshot rather than a balloon popping or fireworks).  Unexpected events often can have dangerous consequences.  For instance, what if I suddenly discover (as I did several months ago) that someone has been trying to obtain credit using my personal information?  Identity theft!  A scary thing!  And yet, if I really believe my Heavenly Father loves me and is in charge of my life as I have asked Him to be, wouldn't I trust that unexpected things are designed for my good and to bring me pleasure?  

I think of Jesus' words in Matthew 7:9-12:
There isn’t a person among you who would give his son a stone if he asked for bread, is there? Or if he asks for a fish, he wouldn’t give him a snake, would he? So if you who are evil know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good things to those who keep on asking him! Therefore, whatever you want people to do for you, do the same for them, because this summarizes the Law and the Prophets.”  ISV
As I think of these things, I imagine what my life would be like if - no matter what unexpected things came my way - I reacted with joy, knowing them to be good gifts from my Heavenly Father.  Isn't this indeed what we are counseled to do?  
"In everything be thankful, because this is God’s will for you in the Messiah Jesus." 1 Thessalonians 5:18-19 ISV
I think of my nephew when he was little.  He was flying in a plane with his mother who worked for the airlines and had taught him that flying was fun.  On this particular day, the plane hit some pretty heavy turbulence and many of the passengers were afraid.  For my nephew, however, it was like a fun ride at Disney World!  He sat in his seat and every time the plane hit a "bump" he joyfully exclaimed "Wheeee!"

Father, I want to be more like that little child in the way I relate to the unexpected events that come my way.  You have given so many promises of protection and I do believe that you give good gifts to your children!  I don't want to continue to live a life of apprehension when faced with the unexpected, but instead one of joy and thanksgiving - whether expected or unexpected.  I want to fully trust you as a child trusts his parent. 
 
I am indeed grateful at the way you helped insure that I found out about the identity theft as quickly as I did and was able to take timely action.  I am grateful for the many opportunities you have brought my way in my work - and I apologize for the way I faced some of those opportunities with fear. I praise you for the way you care for me so carefully.  You are indeed like a wonderful shepherd, and I am so grateful.  
 
Just as I prepare my students so they will be able to meet the challenges of each new thing I teach them, so you prepare me to meet the challenges of each day.  Thank you, Father! And yet, it is so hard for me to let go of apprehension, Father!  It's like it is ingrained within me.  I ask you to remove all fear and fill me with trust in you.  Thank you for being like a loving Father that plays peek-a-boo with me, teaching me gently that all is okay no matter how unexpected.  Father, I am so grateful for your gentleness!  Once again, today I seek your guidance in my life, that your will may be done in and through me this day.  Thank you, Father, that I know this means GOOD things!  Lord, I believe, help thou mine unbelief as I face the challenges that this day brings.  I love you, Father!

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is simply a sharing of my "daily bread" - my daily walk with God. If something I've said has touched your heart, or sparked a new thought, I'd love to hear from you.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *