About This Blog

The butterfly picture in the upper left corner is a symbol and reminder for me of the spiritual process. Sometimes I am the caterpillar - barely able to see far enough in front of me to put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes I find myself in that dark place of the soul, and I remind myself that it is simply my cocoon. While all may seem dark, and I may feel like everything is totally disintegrating around me (and in me!) a miracle is at work in my life and I will soon be able to fly! I love those days where I experience the butterfly in my life! The ability to fly above all the mundane earthy matters and remember the truth and experience God's power in tangible ways in my life are wonderful times indeed that occur more and more often as I continue this journey! Thank you, God!

If you are so inclined, I invite you to journey with me as we seek the promised land together. While I hope to share some "faithbooking" (scrapbook pages or artistic journaling about my faith journey), much of the time the journey may well be seen in words, rather than pictures. I invite you to create your own pictures. How do these things play out in your life? I'd love to hear from you about your own spiritual journey!

Thursday, January 2, 2014

Happy New Year!

Do you make New Year's resolutions?  It's not something I necessarily formally do, but in a new year, my thoughts DO naturally turn to thoughts of how things went over the last year and what I want to see in the new year.  This morning my attention was caught by a quote in the December 2013 Guidepost's magazine.  
"I've learned that you can tell a lot about a person by the way he or she handles these three things: a rainy day, lost luggage, and tangled Christmas lights." - Maya Angelou
What would people learn about me by the way I handle these types of things?  I know the way I would like to handle them.  I'd like to follow God's advice to "in everything give thanks" (I Thessalonians 5:18) and always demonstrate my faith in Him to sort everything out.  I also know that many times I fall far short of doing so.  Today is a good example of that.  I'm not feeling as well physically as I would like, nor am I feeling as well prepared as I'd like to be for the tasks I face today. I wish I could just take the day off and rest, but I have responsibilities to meet. It's tempting to murmur and complain about things, and giving thanks for them is such a foreign concept - yet it's what I'm called to do!

As I contemplated the idea of New Year's resolutions, I remembered some Bible passages that talked about having "resolved" to do something, so decided to use a concordance to look up that word in the New International Version.  Four passages came up:
  1. II Chronicles 20:3 - "Alarmed, Jehoshaphat resolved to inquire of the Lord" NIV - Jehosaphat was faced with an army that was much larger than his resources appeared ready to meet, so he gathered the Israelites and they fasted and prayed about the situation.  Then God sent an answer through Jezariel - Zechariah's son.  "This is what the Lord says to you: 'Do not be afraid or discouraged because of this vast army. For the battle is not yours, but God's."  2 Chronicles 20:15 NIV  This is what I need to remember.  No matter what it is that I am facing, I need to resolve to inquire of the Lord, and I need to remember that the battle is not mine, it is God's! When I remember this, then I can find a basis for which to indeed meet all challenges with thanksgiving.  They are opportunities for me to really see God's power at work in my life!

  2. "I have resolved that my mouth will not sin." Psalms 17:3 NIV   My first thought as I read this verse was of my inclination to complain and the suggestion of a resolve to avoid that. Then as I read the 3rd "resolved" verse (see #3 below), I realized it could also relate to a resolution about healthy eating.

  3. "Daniel resolved not to defile himself with the royal food and wine, and he asked the chief official for permission not to defile himself this way." Daniel 1:8-9 NIV As I read this verse, I realize that indeed, eating rich foods that are not good for me is "defiling myself".  Why would I want to do that? Father, please remove in me any desire for such things!

  4. "For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified.  I came to you in weakness and fear, and with much trembling.  My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit's power, so that your faith might not rest on men's wisdom, but on God's power." 1 Corinthians 2:2-5 NIV  I think this is part of what God wants to see in me as I continually find myself facing situations for which I don't feel I have the energy or resources to meet.  I need to learn to relax and trust that there will be a demonstration of the Spirit's power as I step into what I've been called to do.  I indeed am facing my tasks today with "weakness and fear, and with much trembling" but I know that He that hath begun a good work in me will see it to completion (Phil 1:6). 
Father, like in Jehosephat's story, I see your hand in bringing me to where I am today.  I am grateful for the reminder that the battle is not mine, but yours!  Father, if it is your will, I pray for healing and strength both physically and mentally as I prepare to meet the tasks you have set before me.  Father, at some times, it's hard to see that "open door" you've set before me and said no one can shut. (Rev 3:8-9)  It sure looks like it's closing sometimes!  Father, help me to keep your word and not deny your name!  I remember your many words of wisdom to me, including the reminder that "Except the Lord build the house, they labour in vain that build it" (Ps 127:1).  Father, I look to you to do the building.  May I be fully in alignment with your will this day and let you do the battle.  As Jehosephat said in 2 Chron 20:12, I too recognize that I have no power to face what is ahead, and I don't know what to do, but my eyes are upon you, Father.  I need your energy and your strength for this day.  I cannot make it on my own.  Please fill me with your joy as I remember that is where my strength comes from (Neh 8:10).  Thank you, Father!  Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is simply a sharing of my "daily bread" - my daily walk with God. If something I've said has touched your heart, or sparked a new thought, I'd love to hear from you.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *