About This Blog

The butterfly picture in the upper left corner is a symbol and reminder for me of the spiritual process. Sometimes I am the caterpillar - barely able to see far enough in front of me to put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes I find myself in that dark place of the soul, and I remind myself that it is simply my cocoon. While all may seem dark, and I may feel like everything is totally disintegrating around me (and in me!) a miracle is at work in my life and I will soon be able to fly! I love those days where I experience the butterfly in my life! The ability to fly above all the mundane earthy matters and remember the truth and experience God's power in tangible ways in my life are wonderful times indeed that occur more and more often as I continue this journey! Thank you, God!

If you are so inclined, I invite you to journey with me as we seek the promised land together. While I hope to share some "faithbooking" (scrapbook pages or artistic journaling about my faith journey), much of the time the journey may well be seen in words, rather than pictures. I invite you to create your own pictures. How do these things play out in your life? I'd love to hear from you about your own spiritual journey!

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Worry

Today I've been thinking about the foolishness of worry.  A song I learned as a child asks, "Why worry when you can pray?"  It is such a good question!  It is so easy for me to slip into worry, but it is such a waste of time - and worse.  

I came across a quote from Corrie Ten Boom this morning that really sums it up.  She says, "Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow, it empties today of its strength." Isn't that the truth!

As a survivor of a Nazi concentration camp where her sister died, her ideas about worry and strength come out of some of the most horrendous experiences, but her stories are so inspirational.  One that comes to mind is how her sister insisted they must follow the Biblical instruction to be thankful in all circumstances (I Thessalonians 5:18).  They were in this prison camp with little food, and found themselves in a barracks full of fleas.  Corrie told her sister she just couldn't be thankful for fleas!  But as the story unfolds, she discovered that she COULD be grateful for the fleas.  The guards seldom came around to bother them because they were avoiding the fleas!  

As I think about letting go of worry, I realize that is indeed the "cure".  I need to learn to be thankful in all things and to focus on gratitude and trust in God.  As days go by, I continue to see how God "keeps everything running right" (Ps. 119:164) and I am indeed so grateful! 

Father, once again this morning, I turn to you, asking that you guide and direct my life this day.  May my thoughts, words, and actions be in alignment with your will, I pray.  Thank you for your love for me!  Thank you that you have everything under control, and I can trust you.  Thank you for taking this foolish burden of worry from me and replacing it with love and trust in you.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is simply a sharing of my "daily bread" - my daily walk with God. If something I've said has touched your heart, or sparked a new thought, I'd love to hear from you.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *