About This Blog

The butterfly picture in the upper left corner is a symbol and reminder for me of the spiritual process. Sometimes I am the caterpillar - barely able to see far enough in front of me to put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes I find myself in that dark place of the soul, and I remind myself that it is simply my cocoon. While all may seem dark, and I may feel like everything is totally disintegrating around me (and in me!) a miracle is at work in my life and I will soon be able to fly! I love those days where I experience the butterfly in my life! The ability to fly above all the mundane earthy matters and remember the truth and experience God's power in tangible ways in my life are wonderful times indeed that occur more and more often as I continue this journey! Thank you, God!

If you are so inclined, I invite you to journey with me as we seek the promised land together. While I hope to share some "faithbooking" (scrapbook pages or artistic journaling about my faith journey), much of the time the journey may well be seen in words, rather than pictures. I invite you to create your own pictures. How do these things play out in your life? I'd love to hear from you about your own spiritual journey!

Thursday, September 19, 2013

When You Pass Through the Waters

The verse on my mind this morning is another one from Isaiah that I'm seeing in an entirely different light than I ever have before:
"But now this is what the Lord says, the one who created you, Jacob, the one who formed you, Israel: “Do not be afraid, because I’ve redeemed you. I’ve called you by name; you are mine.  When you pass through the waters, I’ll be with you; and through the rivers, they won’t sweep over you. when you walk through fire you won’t be scorched, and the flame won’t set you ablaze." (Isaiah 43:1-2 ISV)
There are times when I fight such a battle with fear, and I've been doing so recently.  Several opportunities have been placed in front of me and God says to me, "See, I have placed before you an open door". But I have been afraid.  I haven't wanted to be.  I've wanted to be able to simply trust Him and move forward - to rejoice in the opportunities before me like He's asked me to do.  But, I've been afraid.  It's been a real battle to step forward in spite of my fear, clinging to my Heavenly Father as I do so, choosing to focus on His promises, choosing to thank Him despite my fear, and do my best to prepare for what lies ahead. 

And there have been victories.  God in me was able to meet another "first" of the many firsts I face as I move into the new before me.  It went very well, and I am very grateful.  

Nevertheless, I've noticed something the last few days that I wish wasn't true.  I've been battling depression.  I've been very close to tears for little or no reason, and I've been so frustrated with myself.  This is NOT rejoicing in the Lord as I wish to do!  Today's verse, brings rejoicing in the midst of tears - and a chuckle as I see God's sense of humor.

"When you pass through the waters, I will be with you", He says to me. And suddenly I realize these words are not just true of flood waters or some such, they are true of the tears I've been shedding, too!  He also tells me, "Do not be afraid, because I have redeemed you.  I have called you by my name; you are mine."  What an amazing God!  He understands!  He's not yelling at me telling me how stupid I am for crying instead of rejoicing at the opportunities before me.  He's not angry with me for not being more joyful.  He understands my fears and my tears, and is here for me in the midst of them.  And then I remember a couple of passages from the book of Revelation:
"They shall hunger no more, neither thirst any more; neither shall the sun light on them, nor any heat. For the Lamb which is in the midst of the throne shall feed them, and shall lead them unto living fountains of waters: and God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes."  (Revelation 7:16-17 KJV) 
"And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away. And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful." (Revelation 21:4-5 KJV)
God has promised to wipe away all tears from my eyes!  How amazing is that?  He HAS NOT said I have to somehow figure out how to do it myself!  He has promised to do it for me, and to be there when I cry and to give me comfort.  I am SO grateful!  What an amazing God!

There are a couple of other promises here as well.  "They shall hunger no more, neither thirst any more".  These words remind me of the words Jesus spoke as recorded by Matthew: "How blessed are those who are hungry and thirsty for righteousness, because it is they who will be satisfied!" (Matthew 5:6 ISV)  I've never felt I really understood what it meant to be "hungry and thirsty for righteousness", but in this instance, I know at least one tiny piece of it.  I've been "hungry and thirsty" to do what God has told me - specifically to "rejoice in the Lord always" (Phil. 4:4).  I've sought it, and wanted to do it, but it's been hard to do with tears streaming down my face!  This morning, these tears have been turned into tears of laughter and rejoicing, as I contemplate God's promises and His sense of humor.  My "hunger and thirst" is indeed being filled!  Thank you, Father! I am so grateful for your promise that I will "hunger no more, neither thirst any more", as I seek to learn to live the way you have told us to live. 

Last, but not least, I see the promise where He says, "Behold I make all things new."  New things are indeed being created in my life, and I see the promise that He is creating me anew as well.  He is creating in me a new creature that will indeed rejoice in all things.  Thank you, Father!

Father, I am so grateful for your promises!  You are such a loving and caring parent!  You see my weakness, and do not berate me for it, but instead you comfort me and give me your strength with which to meet the challenges of the day.  You are so amazing, Father and I am so grateful!

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is simply a sharing of my "daily bread" - my daily walk with God. If something I've said has touched your heart, or sparked a new thought, I'd love to hear from you.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *