About This Blog

The butterfly picture in the upper left corner is a symbol and reminder for me of the spiritual process. Sometimes I am the caterpillar - barely able to see far enough in front of me to put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes I find myself in that dark place of the soul, and I remind myself that it is simply my cocoon. While all may seem dark, and I may feel like everything is totally disintegrating around me (and in me!) a miracle is at work in my life and I will soon be able to fly! I love those days where I experience the butterfly in my life! The ability to fly above all the mundane earthy matters and remember the truth and experience God's power in tangible ways in my life are wonderful times indeed that occur more and more often as I continue this journey! Thank you, God!

If you are so inclined, I invite you to journey with me as we seek the promised land together. While I hope to share some "faithbooking" (scrapbook pages or artistic journaling about my faith journey), much of the time the journey may well be seen in words, rather than pictures. I invite you to create your own pictures. How do these things play out in your life? I'd love to hear from you about your own spiritual journey!

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

God's Plan

This morning, I was drawn to the book of Luke, to the story of Jesus parents presenting him at the temple as required by the Jewish law.  You can read the story in Luke 2:22-38.  Here Jesus' parents were given two more pieces of evidence that their young child was the promised Messiah (to go along with what they had been given during the pregnancy and at his birth). Both of these latest verifications came from very elderly and presumably well-respected people. Simeon had been promised that he would not die before seeing the Messiah.  Anna must have been very elderly.  Even if she married young, say 14 years old, she would have been 105!  Both of them thanked God, praising Him for the child and God's plan of redemption.  However, not all of Simeon's words were of praise, and I realize that if I had been Jesus' mother, I might have become afraid at his next words:
This infant is destined to cause many in Israel to fall and rise. Also, he will be a sign that will be opposed. Indeed, a sword will pierce your own soul, too, so that the inner thoughts of many people might be revealed.”  Luke 2:34-35  ISV
And yet, though Simeon's words sounded a bit of a warning, there was ample evidence from both Simeon's and Anna's demeanor, that overall the life experience of this child was not something to be feared, but something to rejoice over.  

This is a reminder to me.  Life is not without it's ups and downs, but I can trust God's plan no matter what happens. My natural instincts are so fearful that writing those words scares me. I find myself thinking, "What is coming my way that I needed this reminder?"  And yet it IS true. God's plan can be trusted to be for the good of all involved no matter what happens! And I've been promised that "ALL THINGS work together for good" (Rom 8:28 - emphasis mine).

So, Father, I once again turn to you, asking you to remove any fear in me and to replace it with your perfect love. (1 John 4:18)  Thank you for giving me sleep last night (Ps 127:2), and for the reminders that this project I'm working on is YOUR doing, not mine.  YOU are building it, and that I must trust you as a master builder (Ps 127:1).  Once again this morning, Father, I "stop and shout praises for the way you keep everything running right" (Ps 119:164).  Please guide me through this day and keep my feet on the path you would have me take.  May my eyes see and my ears hear that I may be clear about your guidance. And then please work within me both to WILL and to DO of your good pleasure (Phil 2:13).  Thank you, Father!

I am reminded of the many Bible verses that advise us to rejoice in the Lord.  Like this one from Philippians:  "Keep on rejoicing in the Lord at all times. I will say it again: Keep on rejoicing!" (Philippians 4:4 ISV) Father, thank you for this new song in my heart - one of joy in you.  And thank you for the way you keep everything running right!

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is simply a sharing of my "daily bread" - my daily walk with God. If something I've said has touched your heart, or sparked a new thought, I'd love to hear from you.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *